Saints License Plate Design Released

BlueSky

world super bowl champions??? get it correct, they won the Super Bowl, not the World Championship.

The NFL is the elite football league in the WORLD. Unless you think there is an AFL or UFL team you think could be the Saints, you are the one who is incorrect. The NBA and MLB use the same term, for the same reason. The US is where elite athletes in those sports come to compete.

"World Champions" sounds good to me.

On a side note, the articles down here stated that this is not the original design of the plate. The first one submitted was actually rejected by the team. I'd be curious to see what the original design looked like.

gYH2mW9.png

world super bowl champions??? get it correct, they won the Super Bowl, not the World Championship.

The NFL is the elite football league in the WORLD. Unless you think there is an AFL or UFL team you think could be the Saints, you are the one who is incorrect.

Until the Saints beat the Alouettes, they will only be the American champs.

/sarcasm

Welcome to DrunjFlix

The NFL is the elite football league in the WORLD. Unless you think there is an AFL or UFL team you think could be the Saints, you are the one who is incorrect. The NBA and MLB use the same term, for the same reason. The US is where elite athletes in those sports come to compete.

What game did they win? oh yeah THE SUPER BOWL. They did not win the World Championship, the last time that was played was 1967, then it was re-named the Super Bowl. It doesn't matter if the NFL is all american players or payers from all over the world, the Saints won the SUPER BOWL. I do not think another team in the AFL or UFL could beat them, that has NOTHING to do with the fact that the Saints are Super Bowl Champions, NOT World Champions.

The NBA- NBA Champions

The MLB- World "Series" Champions

What game did they win? oh yeah THE SUPER BOWL. They did not win the World Championship, the last time that was played was 1967, then it was re-named the Super Bowl. It doesn't matter if the NFL is all american players or payers from all over the world, the Saints won the SUPER BOWL. I do not think another team in the AFL or UFL could beat them, that has NOTHING to do with the fact that the Saints are Super Bowl Champions, NOT World Champions.

The NBA- NBA Champions

For the love of....

The fact that no other American football team in the world could beat the Super Bowl Champions means everything to this discussion. The UFL, the American football leagues around the world (even the AFL and CFL which are technically different games) all pale in comparison to the NFL. It's an undisputed fact that the best of the best of gridiron football players in the world play in the NFL. As such I have no problem with the Super Bowl Champions referring to themselves as "World Champions" because by virtue of being Super Bowl Champions they've proven they're the best team in the best league of the sport in the world.

Exactly.

The Super Bowl is the highest level of competition in its sport in the world. Same with the World Series. I don't know anything about European basketball or ice hockey, maybe there are other leagues which could someday make a run at the NBA, maybe not.

In all of those leagues, the League champion is also the World Champion.

The NBA- NBA Champions

:censored: YOU :censored:

Saints2.pnglsu21bcs1.png

saintsflagbd4.jpg

Exactly.

The Super Bowl is the highest level of competition in its sport in the world. Same with the World Series. I don't know anything about European basketball or ice hockey, maybe there are other leagues which could someday make a run at the NBA, maybe not.

Not really, when you consider that "World Championship" teams are filled out with guys who are only there because they are cheap and fit under their league's particular cap. If all teams in a particular sport in all leagues in all countries could openly compete for players without cap considerations, then even though the best players would still probably sign with US teams, it would be more fair to consider that team to be the best in the world. Otherwise, doing it based on national all-star teams (like the olympics) would work too. But the champion a professional league that operates essentially in a vacuum with it's own rules and own CBA just doesn't qualify to call itself a "world champion" IMO.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I say we let the U.S.' best football team take on Europe's best football team (who was it last year, Chelsea? Manchester United?) and whoever wins can be labeled "World Champions". Although I gotta say, I don;t think Europe's football players will hold up too well against the American football players...

Exactly.

Not really, when you consider that "World Championship" teams are filled out with guys who are only there because they are cheap and fit under their league's particular cap. If all teams in a particular sport in all leagues in all countries could openly compete for players without cap considerations, then even though the best players would still probably sign with US teams, it would be more fair to consider that team to be the best in the world. Otherwise, doing it based on national all-star teams (like the olympics) would work too. But the champion a professional league that operates essentially in a vacuum with it's own rules and own CBA just doesn't qualify to call itself a "world champion" IMO.

We can argue this till doomsday. When a boxer gets the belt with the manhole cover-sized buckle, does that mean nobody on Earth could possibly beat him in the ring? Not really, but he's still the "world champion." I agree with the poster you quoted but "world champion" is a little goofy; as an example, let's take soccer. If a team in a specific league claims to be world champions, that's pretty ridiculous because that sport is played elsewhere on a fairly equal level. American football is not played anywhere else on the same level as the NFL so IMO it's fair to consider the Super Bowl winner as a world champion. At the same time, it does ring a little hollow if nobody else really does whatever you're talking about. You know, like if I proclaimed myself the world champion mower of my lawn. :D

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Archived