NFL Weekly Uniform Notes

Bmac

As always not a fan of the pink. I hate the pink in sports, just doesn't mesh well.

I also don't understand the emphasis soley on breast cancer when many other cancers affect peoples lives. General cancer support would be more meaningful, not to mention the number of deaths yearly of breast cancer and prostate cancer are nearly identical.

Sigh.

Just a thought here - 90% of football fans and ticket holders are men, and are therefore (likely) already aware of prostate-related stuff, however, may not necessarily know the facts about breast cancer and may not have thought to give any money to the cause. Besides, prostate awareness month is in the spring or summer, and IIRC, MLB does something for it.

Being that most football fans and ticket holders are men, wouldn't you want to raise awareness to the men about the dangers of prostate cancer and need for testing. Not all men are aware.

But I sometimes forget the classifications of people who will not be pandered to: men, white, english speaking only, straight, Christian, etc.

It bothers me how some things are ignored. I would much rather see all leagues do a cancer month in general. No specific type of cancer. There are much more dangerous and types that need funding more than breast cancer.

2ly2w09.jpg

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As always not a fan of the pink. I hate the pink in sports, just doesn't mesh well.

I also don't understand the emphasis soley on breast cancer when many other cancers affect peoples lives. General cancer support would be more meaningful, not to mention the number of deaths yearly of breast cancer and prostate cancer are nearly identical.

Sigh.

Just a thought here - 90% of football fans and ticket holders are men, and are therefore (likely) already aware of prostate-related stuff, however, may not necessarily know the facts about breast cancer and may not have thought to give any money to the cause. Besides, prostate awareness month is in the spring or summer, and IIRC, MLB does something for it.

Being that most football fans and ticket holders are men, wouldn't you want to raise awareness to the men about the dangers of prostate cancer and need for testing. Not all men are aware.

But I sometimes forget the classifications of people who will not be pandered to: men, white, english speaking only, straight, Christian, etc.

It bothers me how some things are ignored. I would much rather see all leagues do a cancer month in general. No specific type of cancer. There are much more dangerous and types that need funding more than breast cancer.

Right - male, white, English-speaking Christians really get the shaft in this country. It's been like that for hundreds of years. /sarcasm.

Not sure this is about pandering, nor do I have the answer - just playing devil's advocate. I'm asuming that the men in the crowd and watching at home already know about prostate cancer from their doctors or other men. Yes, they should know about breast cancer too but it's never a bad thing to get a message out to a group who may be less educated about the subject.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Best looking games of the week...We have a tie for the number one spot this week.

1a. Jets - Bills: Seriously, does it get any better than this? (Let the Jets in all white bashing begin) C'mon Buffalo, it's time to switch to those throwbacks full time and look like an NFL team again.

I agree. Though there are a few minor differences (Bills TV numbers, Jets sleeve stripes), it's very cool to see two teams looking as they did back in the day.

Jets_Bills_Football.sff_71823_game.jpg4356883.jpg

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

It's very cool to see two teams looking as they did back in the day.

Throwembacks are so kool! They are especially "fresh", when half the teams in the league roll out some throwback once a year, to harken back to the good ole' days (back when the Falcons and Steelers ruled the league). That's NFL originality at its finest, people!

We need an "all throwback" football league, just so the 70 year olds out there have something to get excited about.

Back to this week's uniform stuff....

Carolina's uniforms are so tired looking. Kinda like their whole franchise. They have a great color scheme, but the uniforms need an update and have needed them for years now.

If they have to stay with the current threads, once again I ask the question why Carolina hasn't ever worn the white pants with the light blue jersey's and pair them with the blue socks? The Light Blue/Grey Pants/Black socks look is just "dirty" looking.

Black jersey/grey pants/black socks

White jersey/white pants/black socks

Blue jersey/white pants/blue socks

Rams wearing white pants at home. I actually love that look, but only every so often, as they have done so far this season.

I agree. When worn occasionally, its a very nice look. When worn all year, it gets stale.

The Rams should be commended for changing up their looks this year. I'd like to see the white jersey's and gold pants next week in Detroit.

I'd hope to see the all navy's come out, for the 49ers game later in the year. Its the Rams biggest rival. Plus, it would look good paired with the 49ers white jerseys with gold pants.

A couple of things.

I hate, hate, hate silver helmets but my one exception is for the Raiders. They look sharp even if they play less than stellar.

I love the Panther's blue jersey. Now, if they could only go with a blue or black helmet without the banana split stripes.

Hot pink is a cute enough gimmick but holy Shiva on a scooter, they make this year's sideline hats so hideous I had to take off my glasses.

Throwembacks are so kool! They are especially "fresh", when half the teams in the league roll out some throwback once a year, to harken back to the good ole' days (back when the Falcons and Steelers ruled the league). That's NFL originality at its finest, people!

We need an "all throwback" football league, just so the 70 year olds out there have something to get excited about.

Dennis Bergan has spoken.

yawn.jpg

BB52Big.jpg

yawn.jpg

Yeah, have to agree. It's fine to disagree or have your own take but how about stating a case as opposed to just p***ing on other people's views or taking personal shots? How old is young Dennis anyway?

Ironically, his attitude is kind of a throwback in itself to less enlightened times. :D

Ideally, uniform design should work kind of like this:

65Mustang.jpgNew-Factory-Track-Pack-For-2010-Mustang-GT-car-wallpaper.jpg

Meaning the new is better, a clear update/upgrade, maybe sleeker, more modern, etc., but still easily recognizable for what it is (and was). So while I like throwbacks, I don't actually advocate that they should be worn all the time or reverted to (unless it's Buffalo or the '74 Mustang and the original is simply much better than the new). :D

1221694578329.jpg

Okay, DennisB, go ahead and take a whiz on that point of view. :rolleyes:

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

I so want to post a picture of Calvin pissing on the words "other people's views" right now. Except my work proxy blocks Photobucket. :cursing:

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Seriously, you have this response saved on your desktop, don't you.

You cut and paste this exact thing about 4 times a football season.

yawn.jpg

Yeah, have to agree. It's fine to disagree or have your own take but how about stating a case as opposed to just p***ing on other people's views or taking personal shots? How old is young Dennis anyway?

Ironically, his attitude is kind of a throwback in itself to less enlightened times. :D

Ideally, uniform design should work kind of like this:

65Mustang.jpgNew-Factory-Track-Pack-For-2010-Mustang-GT-car-wallpaper.jpg

Okay, DennisB, go ahead and take a whiz on that point of view. :rolleyes:

That's a great analogy. In a lot of cases teams do take the route you've shown. The thing with Dennis is that he thinks going from this...

65Mustang.jpg

to this...

amc-pacer.jpg

is great progress.

BB52Big.jpg

I think this is more along the lines of the clownishness Bergman would consider modern and progressive and other such nonsense:

Scion-2.jpg

That is ridiculously sweet.

Throwbacks are stupid. Sleeve stripes are stupid. Bland-ness is stupid. Chargers have great uniforms. Steelers have the worst uniforms.

Edit - And one more point I'd like to make. Imagine this - reverse the times these uniform styles were introduced. So say back in the day, designs like the current Vikes and Cards were the norm. And the modern designs would be stuff like the Colts and Jets. You silly people would be drooling all over the "classic" uniforms and shooting down anything with sleeve stripes and simple designs. It's nostalgia which is also stupid.

See...what we have here is a clear divide between the "young" camp, which loves all things modern and loathes all things traditional, and the "old" camp, which favors all things traditional and, in the case of a certain select few, detests all things modern. Somewhere in the middle of that you have guys like myself, BBTV, infrared, TFoA, Ice_Cap and a good number of others, who can appreciate tasteful modern updates a.k.a. those of the Philadelphia Eagles and Houston Texans--and in the case of some, the Tennessee Titans. And it seems the Chargers' uniforms seem to be the lightning rod/catalyst that sparks that divide.

Here's the thing...the current Chargers' set had the POTENTIAL to be a great modern update. The problem is they overdid the details. Firstly, and most blatantly, they take an obvious Agency Bold typeface and butcher some numbers out of that, what with the exctraneous angled edges and whatnot. Then, they revert to the white helmet with a not-exactly-distincively-outlined bolt--which by the way, from a distance, can actually get lost on that helmet (just one reason why I favor the dark helmet over the white one). It followed a throwback cue, sure, but then why not add the numbers back? Thirdly, they added an unnecessary white tapered/cutoff collar on the dark jerseys with reverse-curved white shoulder inserts on which to display the seemingly backwards-zagging bolt. Then, to throw the logic of keeping the background color on which the bolt is displayed consistent completely out the window, the white pants show an unnecessarily wavy bolt on a navy background. And then they reverse all that with the white jerseys and navy pants. Then, just for good measure, and to appease those who love it, they go and add extraneous powder blue trim throughout all that. Which I can actually excuse if not for how it's used. In some applications, it pretty much bleeds into the yellow and muddies the whole thing up.

Now I'm not saying the Chargers should have stuck with block numbers, but what they have now is an obvious case of "custom for the sake of custom"--chopping up an otherwise pretty stock font, in my opinion, just for the sake of being unique. (Same thing with the Detroit Lions' numbers.) As far as all the rest, if they can tone down some of the more extraneous details, that uniform could well be one of the best modern looks in the league. As it is, it's pretty much a cornocopia of forced ideas (though not nearly as much as the New England Patriots' sets), and comes off as overdone, which it pretty much is.

And oh just for good measure...before any of you new-schoolers start thinking I may be a blowhard traditionalist, bear in mind that this analysis comes from one who counts these among his top five favorite sets of all time:

Robert_Edwards_47_dbc7.jpgnfl-patriots-super_bowl_xxxi_martin.jpg

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Edit - And one more point I'd like to make. Imagine this - reverse the times these uniform styles were introduced. So say back in the day, designs like the current Vikes and Cards were the norm. And the modern designs would be stuff like the Colts and Jets. You silly people would be drooling all over the "classic" uniforms and shooting down anything with sleeve stripes and simple designs. It's nostalgia which is also stupid.

That's a really dumb argument. Bad uniforms look bad no matter which era they're from. It's not "old vs. new." It's good looking vs. bad looking. "The norm" has nothing to do with it.

People aren't sitting around longing for these to make a comeback just because they were once "the norm"...

leisuresuit2.png

And nostalgia has nothing to do with it either. If that were the case then I'd say this uniform...

1954uni200.jpg

is better than this one...

p1_beanuie.jpg

or this one is better than

3785355846_fd7493344d_o.jpg

this one...

david-huff-tampa-rays-cleveland-indians-224x300.png

Clearly, the "nostalgic" uniforms I used there are awful. All that matters is how it looks. How old it is has nothing to do with it.

BB52Big.jpg

I can't find a picture of it, but #67 on the Dolphins has the shoulder logo on his right side is facing the wrong way. It is facing the back not the front.

I noticed it early in the 4th quarter.

Archived