Rays wearing plaid billed hats

BaltimoreFan

I like the cap, actually. Heh, kinda got an idea for a concept.

They should've taken the plain throughout the uniform, actually. I'm not saying fully-plaid jersey or pants, but maybe plaid cuffs (under the piping) and a plaid TB.

Tastefully done, you'd have a unique uniform without being 1980s Astros.

Spurs2017_HomeSignature.png.d781df3b4d5c0e482d74d6a47c072475.pngDortmund2017_HomeSignature.png.277fd43b7b71e5d54e4c655f30c9a1e6.png

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What does the idiotic argument about teams buying championships have to do with the plaid hats? Can you dopes start your own thread for that nonsense?

Back to the caps, any word on if they are going to be worn in the post season? I sure hope not - if they happen to win the thing, how silly would it look for the ever lasting photo of the winning moment to show someone with their arms up in the air while wearing a plaid cap? I'm far from a traditionalist, but there's something about a baseball cap that should just be... well, classic. I'd have less of an issue with it if they made it their permanent cap and not just a one-off, as I hate when big moments occur in one-off uniforms that 20 years from now will just have everyone confused when they're looking at history books.

You mean Wikipedia?

Isn't that they way it is in every single city? Most people don't care about the team when they suck, but everyone is watching when their winning. It's the same way with your beloved Pirates. There 27th in attendance this season, most people in Pittsburgh don't care about them. If/When the Pirates start winning again, attendance will go up and all kinds of people will be rooting for the Pirates. It will be just like what happened in Tampa, just like what would happen here in Baltimore, just like it would happen in any other city. Tampa residents are no different than any other city's residents. I don't see what makes Rays fans any worse than your Pirates fans.

The difference is that for the last three years the Rays have been one of the best teams in baseball and nobody in Tampa gives a :censored:. It's not like they're losing 90 games... if they were, nobody would give them any :censored: about their attendance.

I'd trade Yankee hatred for a more competitive league in an instant. I want to see franchises like the Pirates, Orioles, Nationals, Brewers, and Royals turn it around and start winning again, and that's close to impossible under the current system.

Bull :censored:. Is it harder? Sure. Does it require that management be smarter with the money they do spend? Absolutely. But it's in no way "close to impossible". You go aggressive with the draft, ignore the dumbest :censored:ing pseudo-rule in MLB("slots"), and hit the international free agency hard. It takes a dedicated plan, but as several current playoff teams with smaller payrolls attest to, it's absolutely doable.

Yankees payroll, 1996: $52,189,370

Yankees payroll, 1998: $63,159,898

Yankees payroll, 1999: $88,130,709

Yankees payroll, 2000: $92,938,260

Yankees payroll, 2009: $201,449,189

They were 1st in the league in payroll for all but one of those years (1998, when they were 2nd).

What was that about "stupidity laden comments about owning and buying a championship" again? Seems pretty crystal-clear to me that they actually do buy championships.

Don't worry, most things that Legend says are "asinine". When someone presents a well-known fact as evidence to back up their perspective, Legend goes on ranting about how bandwagoners are so lame and how much greater he is than us because he's a loyal Pirates fan.

Seriously, Legend. The Yankees do buy championships. It's not necessarily a bad thing, so don't get all defensive.

Really, most things I say? Like when I compliment the creativity of those on this board. Give my opinion which doesn't mesh with most?

Your generalizations are broad sir. I'm quite certain you are a Twins fan, so the "us" you are referring to isn't you, lest you are a Rays fan. Then yes it is. And I rarely sound off on how great my fanship is. I just point out it's tough to be a Pirates fan with how terrible the team is, and many won't like a team unless they are winning.

His comment was idiot because the Yankees don't buy championships. If that was the case they'd win the World Series every year. The entire team isn't bought aka traded for. And they have 27 World Series wins, so every one was bought?

Talent and team chemisty cannot be bought. All the money they used between 2000 and 2009 did not get them a single World Series win. Second place isn't a championship though, so 01 and 03 are notwithstanding.

I wasn't going to reply to further derail this thread, but when I was accused of something untrue, I decided to defend myself. I won't be replying to anything else about this topic here unless someone links me to a thread in the sports section for a civil discussion.

Back on topic. The hats are awful. Plaid and baseball don't go together.

2ly2w09.jpg

Isn't that they way it is in every single city? Most people don't care about the team when they suck, but everyone is watching when their winning. It's the same way with your beloved Pirates. There 27th in attendance this season, most people in Pittsburgh don't care about them. If/When the Pirates start winning again, attendance will go up and all kinds of people will be rooting for the Pirates. It will be just like what happened in Tampa, just like what would happen here in Baltimore, just like it would happen in any other city. Tampa residents are no different than any other city's residents. I don't see what makes Rays fans any worse than your Pirates fans.

The difference is that for the last three years the Rays have been one of the best teams in baseball and nobody in Tampa gives a :censored:. It's not like they're losing 90 games... if they were, nobody would give them any :censored: about their attendance.

They are also in a unique situation in that they were an expansion team that was completely irrelevant for the first 10 years of their existence. They never really had a chance to develop a fanbase. I'd wait about 10 years or so to see if this success creates one. The young kids in the area may grow up and go to games. Or it may be the case that nobody in Tampa cares about sports. The way I see it is that there aren't any other deserving markets without a team. So unless you want to contract the Rays and another team, you might as well wait 10 years to see if Tampa cares or hope another market emerges.

That's almost as bad the southern hockey argument. "You'll really see how passionate and widespread our fanbase is in 25 years when the kids who grew up watching the Carolina Hurricanes fall ass-backwards into a championship are old enough to buy season tickets," as if we can wait that long.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

That's almost as bad the southern hockey argument. "You'll really see how passionate and widespread our fanbase is in 25 years when the kids who grew up watching the Carolina Hurricanes fall ass-backwards into a championship are old enough to buy season tickets," as if we can wait that long.

That's a terrible comparison. Hockey was never going to take off in parts of the country where it's not cold and there's no ice. You can go outside and play basketball, baseball, or football. Hockey is a regional sport. It won't work everywhere.

There's no reason major league baseball can't succeed in Florida. People do play baseball there. Tampa's problem is that they were a terrible team playing in a terrible stadium for 10 seasons. Turns out that's not a great way to build a fan base. Shocking, I know.

To refresh everyone's memory, baseball was considered a horrible failure in Seattle in the 80's. Turns out -- oh my gosh! -- things can change.

That's a terrible comparison. Hockey was never going to take off in parts of the country where it's not cold and there's no ice. You can go outside and play basketball, baseball, or football. Hockey is a regional sport. It won't work everywhere.

There's no reason major league baseball can't succeed in Florida. People do play baseball there. Tampa's problem is that they were a terrible team playing in a terrible stadium for 10 seasons. Turns out that's not a great way to build a fan base. Shocking, I know.

To refresh everyone's memory, baseball was considered a horrible failure in Seattle in the 80's. Turns out -- oh my gosh! -- things can change.

And you can blame those bad Rays season from 1998-2007 on the old ownership group. Once Stu Sternberg came in, things have been competitive. The casual Rays fan would not pay attention to the reason for their early lack of success, thus the reason for the current attendance woes.

I hope and pray we can do something like what Seattle has done if/when we get a new stadium.

As for the plaid caps, as far as I know, they were just going to be used as a BP cap, but after they clinched the playoff spot, I'm sure somewhere between pouring champagne on each other and pouring beer and ice after the champagne ran out, someone said "Hey you know what would be cool?" So I doubt we will see them in the postseason besides during batting practice.

3834694136_f375c335e2_o.jpg3833900697_df7864756a_o.jpg

This is the key point, really. Sure, 25 years seems like the ideal amount of time to let a fanbase develop, but who has that much time and money? If the Rays stick around for 25 years I'm sure they'll develop a following, but meanwhile millions are being wasted on the venture. In the modern pro sports climate expansion teams don't have the luxury of having a full generation to try and get things right. The money's not there.

Now I have a soft spot for the Tampa Bay area. I spent a year there years ago. It's a nice place, if a bit on the humid side of things. I'm not trying to spite the area when I say this, but the market for pro baseball in the area is dead. It'll take to much time and to much money to make it work.

I was going to respond with something more, but your stupidity laden comments about owning and buying a championship is far too asinine to be worthy of a discussion.

That's only because you have the worst GM in professional sports.

15 out of 16 years does not happen because of good management. It happens because you can spend your way into and out of mistakes.

Congrats if they win again....they're supposed to, aren't they?

SigReflect.png

What does the idiotic argument about teams buying championships have to do with the plaid hats? Can you dopes start your own thread for that nonsense?

Back to the caps, any word on if they are going to be worn in the post season? I sure hope not - if they happen to win the thing, how silly would it look for the ever lasting photo of the winning moment to show someone with their arms up in the air while wearing a plaid cap? I'm far from a traditionalist, but there's something about a baseball cap that should just be... well, classic. I'd have less of an issue with it if they made it their permanent cap and not just a one-off, as I hate when big moments occur in one-off uniforms that 20 years from now will just have everyone confused when they're looking at history books.

You mean Wikipedia?

Well, as the man in charge, I can say that's probably going to be the best bet to see the cap immortally illustrated, especially if it's an alternate. If it's permanent, I'll have to add it in.

spacer.png

spacer.png

This is the key point, really. Sure, 25 years seems like the ideal amount of time to let a fanbase develop, but who has that much time and money? If the Rays stick around for 25 years I'm sure they'll develop a following, but meanwhile millions are being wasted on the venture. In the modern pro sports climate expansion teams don't have the luxury of having a full generation to try and get things right. The money's not there.

Now I have a soft spot for the Tampa Bay area. I spent a year there years ago. It's a nice place, if a bit on the humid side of things. I'm not trying to spite the area when I say this, but the market for pro baseball in the area is dead. It'll take to much time and to much money to make it work.

But what opportunity is being missed? All of the baseball markets are taken up. This isn't like the NFL were a big market like LA is unoccupied. I don't see any other option, unless your willing to contract. I also don't think millions of dollars are being wasted. If that we're the case, we'd be hearing about the financial troubles of the Rays and they would be looking to get out. At this time all we really hear is that attendance is good for a contending team. However does still seem to be good enough for the team to continue to operate, just as a small market team.

Sooooo, no more talk about the plaid hats, huh? This is sad. I know I'd look like I was on some type of tomfoolery, but I'd get the plaid-billed hat & match it with the shirt that has "PLAYOFFS" in plaid.

The plaid hats, well I wouldn't want to see it become a regular addition to the look. Or even a yearly thing. The only time they should ever wear it is for the game following the clinching of a playoff spot. If they do that it could be a neat tradition for the young team. If it becomes regular in any capacity, however, it'll lose its appeal.

Joe Maddon was just wearing it in his press conference, and has said he'd love the plaid to be the RaysHawk of this year - with the entire crowd decked out in plaid (insert obligatory "all 15 of them!" joke).

It is kind of a funny quirk as long as it isn't overdone, which the Rays seem to do a pretty good job of avoiding pushing their peculiar trends to the point of cliche (cowbells, mohawks, etc). The key is the fans have to make it their own - can't let the PR team push the trend.

On a side note, anyone know of a way to get a graphic version of the Braysers plaid? I'd love to make it the wallpaper on my laptop and phone.

Archived