Former Az Card Pat Tillman Reportedly Killed

IowaFan26

:cry: I don't know what to say. It's tragic. He is a true hero in my opinion, doing what he felt he needed to do. I think he was mentioned in Bill Maher's book "When You Ride Alone You Ride with Bin Laden"

There came a time, during WWI and WWII when athletes actually left their teams to serve for their country. Pat, I salute you. :notworthy::flagusa:

I saw, I came, I left.

Here's the ESPN article.

Wow, this is some crappy news. I remember when he enlisted, he declined all interview requests, saying it was about the war, not him. I don't know how many people could leave millions of dollars on the table in NFL to voluntarily enlist and give their lives...

Kinda makes the whole Eli Manning situation seem silly.

Here's to you, Pat. :flagusa:

It's confirmed. I saw it on ESPN about 20 minutes ago, and now it's on Fox News.

If I'm not mistaken, he's only the 2nd NFL player ever killed in combat (Bob Kalsu of the Bills was killed in Vietnam.)

Anyway, to walk away from football and a life of luxury to serve your country... selfless.

:smileyusa:

facebook.png twitter.pngblogger.pngflickr-1.jpg

While I can't agree with US troops being over there, I completely respect Tillman for doing that. A shame anyone has had to die there.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Being Canadian my view on the whole war is different than yours I am sure... BUT... my view on Pat Tillman echos yours... the man gave up millions of guranteed money after his best season of his career to fight for his country in a extremely hostile environment... it really makes you look at the other sports "heros" and makes you think...

this maybe the only time i use this smiley.... but here we go :flagusa:

GDB... Brothers from other Mothers

www.pifflespodcast.com

I hope the Cardinals honor him in some way. A uniform patch, perhaps or a helmet sticker with his number and the American flag. Tillman did what every American talked about after 9/11, except he followed through with it and died serving the country he loved. Even if you disagree with our involvement in Iraq, you have to admire the man for doing something he believed in. I hope the Cards are smart enough to acknowledge this...

I hope the Cardinals honor him in some way. A uniform patch, perhaps or a helmet sticker with his number and the American flag. Tillman did what every American talked about after 9/11, except he followed through with it and died serving the country he loved. Even if you disagree with our involvement in Iraq, you have to admire the man for doing something he believed in. I hope the Cards are smart enough to acknowledge this...

i'm sure the entire NFL will acknowledge this.

a goddamned tragedy!

wow, i just heard on Rome's show...

very tragic indeed. hrivnak said what i was thinking "Tillman did what every American talked about after 9/11, except he followed through with it and died serving the country he loved"

prayers and thoughts go out to the family.

Carolina Dreamin'

ΓΔΒ ΓΔΒ ΓΔΒ

When a robotic Nixon is on the loose, we have a duty to take action.

g_pattillman2_st.jpg

The fact the he was a football player shouldn't make his death more imprtant than others who have died in the war. That being said this is pretty freaking sad for me. I'm not a fan of the Arizona Cardinals and I didn't follow his career closely, but he is a man that passed up $3 million dollars from the Cardinals so he could serve for his country. In 2002 when he enlisted I became a big fan of his. In an era when athletes are being accused of rape, drug trafficking, steriod use, murder, wife-beating, and god knows what else, it was refreshing to have had a Pat Tillman. Rest in peace, young man...

The fact the he was a football player shouldn't make his death more imprtant than others who have died in the war.

exactly... but his being a football player and the fact that he turned down that money to do what he felt was right for the country he loved really makes you think... yes there are others who have died while in service... but name another who would do the same as him.. i can honestly say i love my country, but if i was offered 3 million to play the sport i love I think i would stay home and play.... am I a coward prolly, but im an honest coward...

GDB... Brothers from other Mothers

www.pifflespodcast.com

Mockba I agree with you totally.

This definitely makes the Eli Manning situation look even sillier than it already is. It's too bad that is has to take a recognizable name to be a casualty to see how insignificant petty little draft things can be.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

It takes a lot of character and courage to go against the grain and act upon your beliefs. My son did the same thing after 9/11 and is now a U.S. Marine. My thoughts and prayers go out to Pat Tillman's family :flagusa:

realclearpolitics.com

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire."

- Robert A. Heinlein

Archived