MLB Logo&Uniform changes

UnclearInitial

In addition to stripping off all of the 50th patches for next season, I'm guessing/hoping this means a farewell to the redundant "Angels Baseball" sleeve patch, and maybe, just maybe, gold halos full-time.

You're going to be disappointed unfortunately on the halo front.

They are adding something though.

Hopefully an "L" to go along with the "A".

hopefully not an "L" because the only team that should be LOS ANGELES are the DODGERS they Angels play in Anaheim, their caps should ether say CA OR A not LA and some of you might say well there caps used to say LA when they had had the halo on top in the 60's well they played where in the early 60's.....Chavez Ravine (aka DODGER STADIUM) there not in l.a. any more............................sorry dont mean to be an Ass but when i hear ppl say angels and la in the same sentence i go like this :angered:

Clippers.gif
UCLA.gif

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In addition to stripping off all of the 50th patches for next season, I'm guessing/hoping this means a farewell to the redundant "Angels Baseball" sleeve patch, and maybe, just maybe, gold halos full-time.

hopefully not an "L" because the only team that should be LOS ANGELES are the DODGERS they Angels play in Anaheim, their caps should ether say CA OR A not LA and some of you might say well there caps used to say LA when they had had the halo on top in the 60's well they played where in the early 60's.....Chavez Ravine (aka DODGER STADIUM) there not in l.a. any more............................sorry dont mean to be an Ass but when i hear ppl say angels and la in the same sentence i go like this :angered:

Another sufferer of "Anaheim is not apart of the greater LA area" denial?

for that matter, the Dodgers use the thicker version on the front of their jerseys.

Not currently. They use the the front version of MLB block, which is bold and squat. A few teams (A's, Royals and Rockies) use the standard MLB block on the front, but most teams use the squat version on the front.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Another sufferer of "Anaheim is not apart of the greater LA area" denial?

haha ok I'll admit Anaheim is part of the Los Angeles metropolitan area but i just wish they would ether call themselves the LA Angels or Anaheim Angels or California Angels, LA Angels of Anaheim sounds stupid. Pick a city a stick to it. They need to look at the NBA. As much as a clipper fan as i am, i understand LA will always be a Laker City, Same with the Angels they can call them selves LA all the want but at the end of the day L.A will always be Dodger Town

As the great Tommy Lasorda once said "The only Angels are up in heaven,and they're all ex-dodgers"

Clippers.gif
UCLA.gif

How many straight games have the Mets been in black? I know they were wearing it in Interleague and now they've worn it for the entire West Coast roadtrip. I'd figure 3/4 of these boards would have a stroke over that by now :P Though seriously, I'm starting to miss seeing them in grey.

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

Well...don't?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

There's no need for white outlines with HDTV. All they do is get in the way now and muddle things. The greys look much better now without the white, and truer to old Dodgers uniforms.

The Tigers need to address this soon as well. They're even messier than the Dodgers were. But I'd leave the Royals and White Sox alone, since their designs never went in and slapped the unnecessary white outlines on otherwise acceptable uniforms. Also, the Sox would look like they bought their jerseys from a bootlegger.

I'd add the Phillies to this too. IMO there are several issues with their current uniforms, but getting rid of the white trim would help some.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

getting rid of the white trim would help some.

But I'm sure they'll still be invited to keep attending Phillies games.

I'm not sure if it would work for the Phils. I kinda thought the Reds should go with just red on grey. Like you said, lots of issues at hand. Maroon outlined in white on barely-powder-blue-but-really-grey would look pretty neat.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The Royals and White Sox seem to be the only teams I can see who the white trim work for. The White Sox, it just puts some appropriate white on the gray uniforms. And for the Royals, with the Dodgers ditching the white trim, it just helps seperate their looks a little more. Plus, it just looks right for them for some asthetic reason. But other than those two, I can't think of anyone else. The Reds white trim only currently "works" do the the black drop shadow, which is even more unnecessary. But if they ditched the shadow, then the white trim could go. Honestly, the Phillies white trim doesn't really bother me either, I could go either way, so I'll defer to Phillies fans, and BBTV thinks it should go so I'm inclined to agree. Nobody else (I'm especially looking at you Yankees and Tigers) needs the white trim.

The Royals and White Sox seem to be the only teams I can see who the white trim work for. The White Sox, it just puts some appropriate white on the gray uniforms. And for the Royals, with the Dodgers ditching the white trim, it just helps seperate their looks a little more. Plus, it just looks right for them for some asthetic reason. But other than those two, I can't think of anyone else. The Reds white trim only currently "works" do the the black drop shadow, which is even more unnecessary. But if they ditched the shadow, then the white trim could go. Honestly, the Phillies white trim doesn't really bother me either, I could go either way, so I'll defer to Phillies fans, and BBTV thinks it should go so I'm inclined to agree. Nobody else (I'm especially looking at you Yankees and Tigers) needs the white trim.

Well I'm looking at it not as a fan but as an objective observer. I doubt that my opinions represent the majority - especially since the Phillies script with outline is used everywhere - I doubt that most people would appreciate it sans trim for the same reasons that most of us would.

With the Reds - white trim on non-connected letters is fine. I like them better without, but it's fine with. I think when you have a script wordmark, the white trim just creates the "patch" effect, which really takes away from the old-timey charm of the script in the first place.

As for the Dodgers - losing the white trim was only the 2nd biggest upgrade to those jerseys. Losing the blue buttons was the first. Who ever thought that was a good idea?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I think when you have a script wordmark, the white trim just creates the "patch" effect, which really takes away from the old-timey charm of the script in the first place.

Is the "Phillies" jersey script not actually a patch? I've always figured the white outline was just a patch of fabric that they chain-stitched the lettering onto and then sewed that patch to the jersey for some logistical reason.

I think when you have a script wordmark, the white trim just creates the "patch" effect, which really takes away from the old-timey charm of the script in the first place.

Is the "Phillies" jersey script not actually a patch? I've always figured the white outline was just a patch of fabric that they chain-stitched the lettering onto and then sewed that patch to the jersey for some logistical reason.

Right, it's a patch. Ultimately, I think just about all scripts are essentially patches, but they don't all look like patches. It's like using nameplates for the NOB vs direct sewn letters. It just looks better to me if the script looks like something that was was made just for that jersey, rather than a pre-fab patch that could be slapped on to anything. It's just a visual effect, but one that IMO is worth going the extra mile to achieve.

Fun fact - I spelled "sewn" "swen" four straight times (the original error, and then three additional times while trying to correct it.) I'm not dyslexic, so that was weird.

Right, it's a patch. Ultimately, I think just about all scripts are essentially patches, but they don't all look like patches. It's like using nameplates for the NOB vs direct sewn letters. It just looks better to me if the script looks like something that was was made just for that jersey, rather than a pre-fab patch that could be slapped on to anything. It's just a visual effect, but one that IMO is worth going the extra mile to achieve.

The reason I was asking is because I know the Astros and Cardinals chain-stitch their scripts directly onto their jerseys.

astrosAUTHgr5.JPG

274641310_de1a4529f7_o.jpg

I can't really think of another club that has as much of a patchy look to their jersey scripts as the Phillies. In the cases of the Astros and the Cardinals, they have their entire script, including outline, chain-stitched, which in conjunction with their relatively thin outline thicknesses makes for a much better looking jersey.

haha ok I'll admit Anaheim is part of the Los Angeles metropolitan area but i just wish they would ether call themselves the LA Angels or Anaheim Angels or California Angels, LA Angels of Anaheim sounds stupid. Pick a city a stick to it. They need to look at the NBA. As much as a clipper fan as i am, i understand LA will always be a Laker City, Same with the Angels they can call them selves LA all the want but at the end of the day L.A will always be Dodger Town

I believe their owner (Artie Moreno) would love to call the team the Los Angeles Angels (without the "of Anaheim" tag at the end) but the previous owners (Disney) signed a deal with the city to use the word "Anaheim" as part of the team name in return for the city of Anaheim paying for construction costs to turn Angels Stadium into a baseball-only facility. Don't know when that deal ends though.

I believe their owner (Artie Moreno) would love to call the team the Los Angeles Angels (without the "of Anaheim" tag at the end) but the previous owners (Disney) signed a deal with the city to use the word "Anaheim" as part of the team name in return for the city of Anaheim paying for construction costs to turn Angels Stadium into a baseball-only facility. Don't know when that deal ends though.

not soon enough. Then, you're right - Moreno can drop this nonsense and the Seraphs can go back to being the LA Angels.

I get what you guys are saying, but I really don't think it's that big of a deal. How often do you really hear them referred to as anything other than "The Angels" or "The Los Angeles Angels"? Outside of California, I think most fans think of them as being an LA team. I know I do.

Also, I don't think it's so bad that none of their logos, caps, or uniforms refer to a specific city. It reminds me of the O's before 2009, when they sort of marketed themselves to both Baltimore and DC. I think it's ok to make a team's location a little ambiguous so as to appeal to and attract more fans.

Granted I'm not from that area, but do people out there really refer to them as "The Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim" in normal conversation? You could basically ignore that long name, and you wouldn't even notice it. It doesn't seem to be forced in the fans' faces.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

I get what you guys are saying, but I really don't think it's that big of a deal. How often do you really hear them referred to as anything other than "The Angels" or "The Los Angeles Angels"? Outside of California, I think most fans think of them as being an LA team. I know I do.

Also, I don't think it's so bad that none of their logos, caps, or uniforms refer to a specific city. It reminds me of the O's before 2009, when they sort of marketed themselves to both Baltimore and DC. I think it's ok to make a team's location a little ambiguous so as to appeal to and attract more fans.

Granted I'm not from that area, but do people out there really refer to them as "The Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim" in normal conversation? You could basically ignore that long name, and you wouldn't even notice it. It doesn't seem to be forced in the fans' faces.

Maybe It's me that just upset that

1) They have a MUCH better owner

2)They pretty much own the season series against the Dodgers every year

Personally I will always consider them the Anaheim Angels and next Inter league will wear this to Dodger Stadium

LosAngelesDodgersofLosAngelesNiketshirtphoto_creditfootballfanaticswebsite_crop_340x234.jpg?1297964459

Clippers.gif
UCLA.gif

for that matter, the Dodgers use the thicker version on the front of their jerseys.

Not currently. They use the the front version of MLB block, which is bold and squat. A few teams (A's, Royals and Rockies) use the standard MLB block on the front, but most teams use the squat version on the front.

The A's/Royals/Rockies/Mets is called Standard Block (has no serifs). The Twins were a modified version of this called Standard Block with Serifs. The Tigers/Braves/Yankees is called Varsity Block. It is the more squat version (with serifs). All of these block fonts are considered in the "public domain", so no one owns a copyright to them. The only tema that comes to mind that has undergone a re-imaging without going to proprietary font is Tampa (still using Standard Block).

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

Archived