The 2010-2011 MLB Offseason Thread

AnythingChicago

Another Jeff Loria discount firesale.You can see the empty seats at their new ugly stadium now.

Tank, here are things for you to know.

Uggla still is under contract for the 2011 season. The Marlins offered Uggla an extension of 4 years for $48MM. He wanted 5 years for $71MM. They wanted Uggla, age 30, to open the new stadium, but had to think about the other financial issues which they will face in the future, like money for Josh Johnson and arbitration for Stanton, Anibel Sanchez, Logan Morrison, and Gabi Sanchez.

Part of the reason they released Cody Ross they elected that if they were going to offer either Uggla or Ross an extension going in to the new ballpark, they would try Uggla. Ross, who was playing 2010 on a one year contract received through arbitration, was released.

They are going to reallocate that money on their bullpen, specifically a LH reliever. They lost 27 games this season after the 7th inning. It was the same bullpen which was good in 2009.

With the signing of Buck, they got Infante, Dunn, and Buck for the money which would have gone to Uggla. Plus, they have money to still get another FA.

• Replies 835
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Heres something you oughta know, All-Star slugging 2B like Dan Uggla are impossible to find, and you trade them to a division rival, there is no excuse.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Heres something you oughta know, All-Star slugging 2B like Dan Uggla are impossible to find, and you trade them to a division rival, there is no excuse.

He is now 30. I would not pay a 35 year old 2B $14.2MM. They have to look at the entire team and farm system when putting a budget together. Davis Samson was on the radio today and mapped out their line of thinking for increasing the payroll for 2011 and for moving into the new stadium. Actually, he is on the radio every Wednesday.

David Samson is a bad egg among baseball executives, and that's really saying something. Maybe I'll believe that the Marlins are raising payroll when I see it, but in some sense I don't even want them to raise payroll because the thought of them spending freely after bamboozling Miami into building them a free stadium kind of makes my stomach turn. I wish they could've nailed Loria on RICO charges. Maybe it's not too late.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Thanks Marlins! ;)

Rumor has it that Justin Upton is next on the Atlanta radar. I would love it if it were true.

If the D-Backs trade Justin Upton, that'd be the stupidest move they've ever made.

I wouldn't say the stupidest move ever made. Kevin Towers has said if other teams would like to overpay for him, be my guest. From what i'm hearing from a friend(John Gambodoro of 620 KTAR in Phoenix) is that Red Sox is trying to get Upton for Daniel Bard, Jacob Ellsbury and a Starting Pitcher. He has also told me that the Yankees and Tigers are interested, but the packages that both have not exceeded expectations for Justin Upton

Right now it's all just rumor and he probably won't move, but right now he's pretty attractive

He was the second worst defensive second basemen in baseball last year, and is on the wrong side of 30. He's already a liability there, and unless you want an absolute black hole in the middle of the infield, needs to be moved.

The problem therein is that his bat isn't anywhere near as special at first, third or in a corner outfield position.

The Mets' managerial list is now down to the final four:

- Wally Backman

- Terry Collins

- Chip Hale

- Bob Melvin

This is the best the New York Mets could do? REALLY? Just go back to Willie Randolph if youre gonna go with one of these four snoozers.

6uXNWAo.png

He was the second worst defensive second basemen in baseball last year, and is on the wrong side of 30. He's already a liability there, and unless you want an absolute black hole in the middle of the infield, needs to be moved.

The problem therein is that his bat isn't anywhere near as special at first, third or in a corner outfield position.

Exactly. Plus the Uggla demand was more money than what the Marlins will pay Hanley Ramirez on average.

Since Uggla is 30...that is too much for 2013 and 2014.

Derek Jeter is the worst defensive SS in the World but he still gets gold gloves.

Omar Infante would have to repeat this past years performance for this to not be an absolute steal for the Braves. Uggla is not that much of a liability at 2nd. He is not gonna Roger Dorn everything over there and he is going to bring a right-handed bat to the middle of a lefty-heavy lineup. He will thrive at Turner Field where he has been great. The Yankees and Phillies (and maybe the Red Sox) are the only teams that wouldn't benefit from Uggla at 2nd. Unless you are a fan of one of those teams you would be crazy not to want him on your squad.

Derek Jeter is the worst defensive SS in the World but he still gets gold gloves.

Omar Infante would have to repeat this past years performance for this to not be an absolute steal for the Braves. Uggla is not that much of a liability at 2nd. He is not gonna Roger Dorn everything over there and he is going to bring a right-handed bat to the middle of a lefty-heavy lineup. He will thrive at Turner Field where he has been great. The Yankees and Phillies (and maybe the Red Sox) are the only teams that wouldn't benefit from Uggla at 2nd. Unless you are a fan of one of those teams you would be crazy not to want him on your squad.

It's a nice move for the Braves. All I'm saying is that the Marlins were smart not to give Uggla a big contract extension. Uggla works as "another piece of the puzzle" but I don't think he's the guy you "build a team around" at this point. So it was a good move all around.

BB52Big.jpg

It's a nice move for the Braves. All I'm saying is that the Marlins were smart not to give Uggla a big contract extension. Uggla works as "another piece of the puzzle" but I don't think he's the guy you "build a team around" at this point. So it was a good move all around.

And the Braves would be smart not to either. As extremely happy as I am to have Uggla on board for next season, I'm hoping he has a great season (building upon the success he's had at the Ted) so Wren can get something in return in a deal. He's definitely on the wrong side of 30, but for next year? HELLZ YUH I'm taking that.

You're right. Uggla is not THE piece you wanna build your team around. I hope Wren isn't finished.

Call me crazy but I would like to see Atlanta try to secure at least 2-3 years of his services. I think he's good for it. I wouldn't give him the money he was asking for in Florida though.

Yes he is. He really, truly is. I know you're in Lights Out homer-mode, but he's truly a :censored:ing butcher out there.

And given their overall games, contracts, I'd absolutely include the Rangers and Ian Kinsler as a team that would not benefit from him at 2nd. There are several players I'd definitely consider, especially at the cost, for someone who last year was 14th in the league in WAR among second basemen.

His 2010 season at the plate isn't tied to better power or more patience (he was actually less patient) but a much higher, much less sustainable BABIP. An infield hit percentage doubled from the year before. I don't see him repeating that.

I know the Tnak's of the world have a hard time understanding this, but this wasn't a bad deal for the Marlins, considering they have someone who can actually play second, unlike Uggla, playing out of position on the team already (and it's a lot easier to find a slugging LF), you get a live lefthanded arm that is controllable for several years, and Infante is affordable and his glove will play all over the infield, even if he doesn't match his 2009 play.

Archived