New Nike England Rugby Kit

Davidson

When I first looked at the home strip (white version) I thought they're trying to copy the Kiwi's with that home strip by having no secondary colour. But at closer inspection I can see the navy fade on the shoulders which I'm not a fan of at all. The navy and red away strip is simple yet effective . I really liked their previous jersey with the sweeping sashes and English cross on the left shoulder.

The Nike jersey itself looks a very solid make.

And here's the Rugby League Kangaroos from, well, this past Sunday:

00017364-photo.jpg

Still doing it old-school.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

if there was ever a sport that needed to embrace uniform technology it was rugby and was more overdue than any other sport...everything that the manufacturer's emphasize with their new tech improvements was a addresses a magnified negative in rugby jerseys...the loose fit allowed for easy grabs and holds by the opposing team, the collars and open necklines that could be grabbed and give you neck rash...and a cotton blend that absorbed 100% of your sweat so you'd be carrying around 100% of your perspiration throughout the match...not to mention a soaked jersey would just hang off your body like a wet blanket.

if there was ever a sport that needed to embrace uniform technology it was rugby and was more overdue than any other sport...everything that the manufacturer's emphasize with their new tech improvements was a addresses a magnified negative in rugby jerseys...the loose fit allowed for easy grabs and holds by the opposing team, the collars and open necklines that could be grabbed and give you neck rash...and a cotton blend that absorbed 100% of your sweat so you'd be carrying around 100% of your perspiration throughout the match...not to mention a soaked jersey would just hang off your body like a wet blanket.

that was certainly true in the old amateur days of the nineties, but in the last decade, even the tops that look quite old school tend to feel a lot more high tech than they initially look. some of the jerseys from the northern hemisphere especially can look a bit baggier than necessary, but bare in mind that rugby is a winter game and unless the rain is torrential, a slightly thicker baggier fabric can offer a little bit more protection against the elements.

Man, some sort of dyslexia kicked in for me and I read it as "New England Nike Rugby Kit", thinking it was some club team from Boston or Hartford or something :P

I think they're pretty nice, I really like the design. I, though, prefer the collared style rugby kits. I own a Scotland shirt from seven years ago-ish, and it's plain navy with the crest on the left chest, and a white collar. One of my all-time favorite shirts and something I love to wear, because I think it's pretty stylish and classy. So, I wish more teams went that route.

As I said, however, the design is pretty nice. It could go without being undershirt-tight, but it's still a neat design nonetheless.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

What's the reason behind the 'plain' jersey's these days? Is it to show-off the major sponsors logo?

I have the old Scottish Rugby jersey with the Famous Grouse logo on it, this is 100 times better than their current strip.

Looking at that photo of the old Australian Rugby jersey we have had some aweful jerseys over the years!! I like the tradition that the Kangaroos have kept in the Rugby League with the 2 gold V's on the bottle green jumper. Whilst on League, I'm a huge fan of England's 4 nations League jersey with the St George's cross down the side.

Hit the nail on the head. I play collegiate rugby in the U.S. and we recently got 'Pro-Fits'. They make a WORLD OF A DIFFERENCE. First of all, shirt tackles are illegal in rugby so the tighter the better and they force defenders to square up and make a form tackle which in turn allows for more jukes and space. Secondly, you are running around for 80+ minutes. Cotton gets HOT and absorbs every ounce of liquid. There is also no need for under armor, as these are a slightly thicker version. The Pro-Fit material also allows for the numbers to be screened or sublimated, eliminating the rash you get from tackle-twill stitching. The final benefit of this material is that it doesn't absorb grass or dirt as easily as cotton allowing for the jerseys to remain clean and have a longer life.

Hit the nail on the head. I play collegiate rugby in the U.S. and we recently got 'Pro-Fits'. They make a WORLD OF A DIFFERENCE. First of all, shirt tackles are illegal in rugby so the tighter the better and they force defenders to square up and make a form tackle which in turn allows for more jukes and space. Secondly, you are running around for 80+ minutes. Cotton gets HOT and absorbs every ounce of liquid. There is also no need for under armor, as these are a slightly thicker version. The Pro-Fit material also allows for the numbers to be screened or sublimated, eliminating the rash you get from tackle-twill stitching. The final benefit of this material is that it doesn't absorb grass or dirt as easily as cotton allowing for the jerseys to remain clean and have a longer life.

the funny thing about rugby is that you've got a violent sport with 30 guys on the field with one ref...the opportunity for rule bending if not outright rule breaking is quite large

Well as a retired prop...not a fan of the skin tight fit! ^_^ As a player I would think they are great, curious as to how well the second rows would be able to grab on to your jersey in the scrum though.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

Well as a retired prop...not a fan of the skin tight fit! ^_^ As a player I would think they are great, curious as to how well the second rows would be able to grab on to your jersey in the scrum though.

As a retired tight head prop myself I will second the not being a fan of the tight tops lol.

As a former lock, not keen on the skin tight fit myself. Still think teh kit looks good. Probably the best one since the 2003 Rugby World Cup kit, which remains my favourite England kit for sentimental as well as aesthetic reasons.

Can i get a link to the site?

England Rugby

I think that with most of these new age shirts, there is a area on the side for binding in the scrum.

Personally, I prefer last year's kit but this one isn't too bad.

image,Shane-spc-Williams,white,black.png

Archived