Sparky Anderson dies at 76

NoHoJoe

It's a very sad day in baseball. Sparky is easily one of the all-time greatest managers and personalities in baseball history.

What I found really interesting was learning that he first took over the Reds at the age of 36. That's quite young for that era to manage a team, yet he did it consecutively for the next 26 seasons and was the best at it in his era, in my opinion.

Also, his personality and humor was legendary. Tim Kirkjian was talking on ESPN just an hour or so ago about a time he imitated Leslie Nielsen's character in "Naked Gun" in the locker room after a game, and made just about everyone crack up. I don't think any manager today would even dare try anything similar, that just goes to show the type of guy Sparky was.

May he rest in peace, we'll certainly miss him.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

Although I'm a fan of that franchise that Sparky Anderson and Co. beat in the best World Series ever played (FYI: 1975), I always admired him.

He was a nice character, an excellent manager and an unavoidable baseball personality.

RIP Sparky.

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

Very sad to hear this news. I didn't know he was only 76. The man had white hair when he was in his 30s?? He looked 70 forty years ago! But he was a brilliant manager, and I am indeed saddened to learn of his illness & death. It hits close to home as there is somebody in my family who also has dementia.

Today we all all Chris Pittaros. (Let's see who gets that reference.)

No we are not, because I think I had more talent then Chris Pittaro.

Back to the subject, as everyone has already said, it is a great loss for baseball. When I was a kid, and in love with the game and the Tigers, I was totally geeked when it was announced that the Tigers had hired Sparky in 1979. Even that young, I knew his reputation with the Reds. I was further excited when he guaranteed a World Series win in five years. I was young enough to believe in that kind of hype. Thankfully for the Tigers fan in me, he and the rest of the organization delivered.

RIP Sparky

Detroit Dragons - 2010 ULL Gait Cup Champions

Detroit Cougars - 2010 and 2011 WAFA Wills Cup Champions

I remember an episode of WKRP Sparky did after he got fired in Cincy, where he was supposed to be hired o do a sports show on the channel. So he had a good sense of humor too.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

2 things, one at least Sparky did not have to suffer with his dementia any longer than necessary. Atleast he has that relief. The other is that he seemed like a really great guy. Great manager of some awesome teams, and a great character.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Today we all all Chris Pittaros. (Let's see who gets that reference.)

No we are not, because I think I had more talent then Chris Pittaro.

I don't think you get it.

It was a joke, just like yours. Just worse.

Detroit Dragons - 2010 ULL Gait Cup Champions

Detroit Cougars - 2010 and 2011 WAFA Wills Cup Champions

Archived