Love him or hate him, there's no denying Jimmie is the man

NJTank

I hate the Chase so much after this year

But fact of the matter is that 48 team knows when to bring their best at the right time. Harvick stayed consistent all throughout the Chase, but still wasn't enough. I was very happy with the 29 team this season, but alas it's another championship for Jimmie. Ughh.

oEQ0ySg.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29 // College Crosse: Where I write, chat, and infograph lacrosse

Johnson is very clutch under pressure, but not enough credit (from those non-racing fans) can give enough credit to Chad Knaus in getting a car which can have him win titles week in and out, year after year. When I am at a race with my scanner, there is no driver/chief who talk more than the 48 and totally calm, unlike hearing Kyle Busch.

I won't compare series and generations, but that young man can drive a racecar and put doubt in the 11's mind post race last week at PIR.

I feel sick over what the sport has become since Brian France has taken over. I can deal with the Car of Tomorrow being about as attractive as a Yugo after a hailstorm. I can deal with oversaturation of the TV Media. I can even deal with tracks like Atlanta, Darlington and Rockingham being replaced by Kentucky, Chicago and Kansas. But the fact that the championship does not go to the driver who scores the most points in a season is not something I can accept.

I am not saying that Jimmie Johnson doesn't deserve this championship, or any of the other four he has won. He and his team knew the rules of how the title is decided at the start of the season, just like anyone else, and they knew how to play the game, and for that, I must give them credit. But how can you honestly say that a driver who earned more points in both the regular season AND during the Chase is not the Champion?

Kevin Harvick scored 5279 points this season, not counting the resetting at 5000 for all Chase contenders and the 10 bonus points given for each win at the start of the Chase. Taking away those same bonus points from Johnson, Harvick earned 280 more.

The analogy I always hear is "The team that wins the most games in a baseball or football doesn't always win the World Series or the Super Bowl." No, they don't. But their playoff systems are bracketed, meaning that each week, one team takes on one other team. No other variables. You don't have the Colts and the Patriots playing in the NFL playoffs being interfered with by the Texans or the Browns. You can't see the Rays and Yankees playing in the ALCS and have them worry about the Royals or Mariners doing something that could cost them their shot.

A playoff system is not feasible in a sport where, every week, each driver has to deal with 42 other guys out there on the track. It simply does not work and is not fair. And before you say "If Harvick had won, would you be saying the same thing?" Absolutely. The only difference is that the driver who earned the championship by the most fair manner also won it under the current rules.

3834694136_f375c335e2_o.jpg3833900697_df7864756a_o.jpg

Okay...I ain't no NASCAR fan, so all I know of Jimmie Johnson is from what I see on TV, but short of hating the dude since he and his #48 team have become NASCAR's answer to the New York Yankees, why exactly are people hating on this guy?

Again, i ain't no racing fan, but I can appreciate greatness when I see it, and this dude (and his team) is great. The Drive for 5 was history in the making...and he just made it. A championship in any sport is hard enough...five straight? Especially considering all the different things that could have derailed his pursuit (namely crashes, blown engines, things of that nature)?

Bow down and appreciate it...dude's bust (or whatever they stick in the NASCAR HoF) is going to be headed to Charlotte for sure.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Kind of wanted Denny to end Jimmie's streak, but Denny shot himself in the foot too many times in this race to overcome the deficit. Congratulations to the #48 team for persevering and winning their fifth consecutive championship. Here's hoping Denny, Carl, Tony, or someone else dethrones them next season.

I feel sick over what the sport has become since Brian France has taken over. I can deal with the Car of Tomorrow being about as attractive as a Yugo after a hailstorm. I can deal with oversaturation of the TV Media. I can even deal with tracks like Atlanta, Darlington and Rockingham being replaced by Kentucky, Chicago and Kansas. But the fact that the championship does not go to the driver who scores the most points in a season is not something I can accept.

I am not saying that Jimmie Johnson doesn't deserve this championship, or any of the other four he has won. He and his team knew the rules of how the title is decided at the start of the season, just like anyone else, and they knew how to play the game, and for that, I must give them credit. But how can you honestly say that a driver who earned more points in both the regular season AND during the Chase is not the Champion?

Kevin Harvick scored 5279 points this season, not counting the resetting at 5000 for all Chase contenders and the 10 bonus points given for each win at the start of the Chase. Taking away those same bonus points from Johnson, Harvick earned 280 more.

The analogy I always hear is "The team that wins the most games in a baseball or football doesn't always win the World Series or the Super Bowl." No, they don't. But their playoff systems are bracketed, meaning that each week, one team takes on one other team. No other variables. You don't have the Colts and the Patriots playing in the NFL playoffs being interfered with by the Texans or the Browns. You can't see the Rays and Yankees playing in the ALCS and have them worry about the Royals or Mariners doing something that could cost them their shot.

A playoff system is not feasible in a sport where, every week, each driver has to deal with 42 other guys out there on the track. It simply does not work and is not fair. And before you say "If Harvick had won, would you be saying the same thing?" Absolutely. The only difference is that the driver who earned the championship by the most fair manner also won it under the current rules.

My guy did win and I still agree with you 100%. Especially so with the stuff in bold. NASCAR has a ton of problems right now like...

1. The season is way too long. If you count off weeks, I think the season is 39 weeks long. That's pretty much 10 months. Even hardcore fans will get "NASCAR fatigue."

2. Tracks that may not even deserve one race are getting two while tracks that were always consistent performers are outside looking in.

3. NASCAR fans don't like the chase.

4. The chase simply doesn't work.

5. The governing body is too concerned about "national exposure" and it has badly damaged the product.

I could go on but I think you get the point.

BB52Big.jpg

Jimmie Johnson is the reason why I watch less and less NASCAR races every year. It's sickening how entire seasons have basically become yet another Jimmie Johnson coronation. Silly me for thinking this year would be any different.

The Chase sucks, the watered-down "national exposure" NASCAR sucks. Bring back the old Winston Cup, at least the sport had balls back then.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

First of all. Jimmie and Chad proved why they are the G.O.A.T. (Greatest Of All Time) to steal a term from Ricky Carmichael. I hope Jimmie and Chad roll off 3 more so we can finally shut up all those Earnhardt fans and finally prove that their "god" was a mere mortal. AS far as whining about the Chase, well keep whining. Losers whine while winners just keep drinking the champagne. Complaining that Brian France has ruined NASCAR. Really? So you want crappy racing where only 3-4 guys can win races and the winner winning races by 4 laps? If you think that Jimmie only wins because of the Chase, you're wrong. He wins because they are the best team period. It doesn't matter the system, Champions know how to win and the 48 team knows how to win. Change it back to the old system, and Jimmie wins 5 straight. Why? Because they know what they need to do and how to do it better than everyone else. There's nothing you can do, to change the Greatest Of All Time. Just sit back and watch history as the 48 team rolls off 5 more championships to equal John Force's 10 straight. There is no one in the garage that will beat the 48, and those of you who don't like it. Well, that's just great because when I go to the races, I'll have leg room as I watch the Greatest Of All Time and I'll love the day when I can walk by the dwindling Earnhardt fans and their #3 trailer and just hold up both hands with fingers stretched out and say, "10 straight." Picking on Jr fans is so easy. It's now time to go after the "god" and take him down!

First of all. Jimmie and Chad proved why they are the G.O.A.T. (Greatest Of All Time) to steal a term from Ricky Carmichael. I hope Jimmie and Chad roll off 3 more so we can finally shut up all those Earnhardt fans and finally prove that their "god" was a mere mortal. AS far as whining about the Chase, well keep whining. Losers whine while winners just keep drinking the champagne. Complaining that Brian France has ruined NASCAR. Really? So you want crappy racing where only 3-4 guys can win races and the winner winning races by 4 laps? If you think that Jimmie only wins because of the Chase, you're wrong. He wins because they are the best team period. It doesn't matter the system, Champions know how to win and the 48 team knows how to win. Change it back to the old system, and Jimmie wins 5 straight. Why? Because they know what they need to do and how to do it better than everyone else. There's nothing you can do, to change the Greatest Of All Time. Just sit back and watch history as the 48 team rolls off 5 more championships to equal John Force's 10 straight. There is no one in the garage that will beat the 48, and those of you who don't like it. Well, that's just great because when I go to the races, I'll have leg room as I watch the Greatest Of All Time and I'll love the day when I can walk by the dwindling Earnhardt fans and their #3 trailer and just hold up both hands with fingers stretched out and say, "10 straight." Picking on Jr fans is so easy. It's now time to go after the "god" and take him down!

Hey, is the fact that oddball likes Johnson a legitimate reason to dislike Johnson?

That said, a "playoff" where you get to share a track with 30 odd interlopers who have next to nothing to race for is stupid.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I know we're talking different point situations and different ways to go about tackling it, but you do realize if it weren't for the Chase Harvick would've massacred the rest of the pack in points, right? I mean don't get me wrong, Jimmie and Chad and the 48 team know when to really bring on the heat, but it's not like they scorched the world on fire this year (even though that doesn't matter because they won the cup anyway).

As I see it, I'm far from a fan of Johnson, but winning 5 straight is damn impressive. I would like to see some fresh blood winning the cup for once, though, kinda like the Yankee dynasty years and whatnot.

oEQ0ySg.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29 // College Crosse: Where I write, chat, and infograph lacrosse

Things to remember as NASCAR goes into its small off-season (noted by infrared):

1-NASCAR is private as a series, but their track company, ISC, is public but majority-owned by the France family. That is why "The Chase" has four other tracks but six ISC tracks.

2-ISC tracks are now in some trouble as this year IndyCar will not race on their tracks. In previous years, Chicagoland forced fans to buy tickets to every event at the track as opposed to just the NASCAR race. Well, they do not have to deal with that now in terms of poor early sales. Dover closed Gateway a few weeks ago, so they are going have to change policies to make money for the investors.

Archived