Penalized becuase of Nike Pro Combat?!?

nybatt

I actually agree with them. Players should ALWAYS act like they've done it before. There is no need for celebrating, period, after a goal/touchdown/whatever. It is classless to celebrate, and it needlessly denigrates the opposition.

You're an idiot. Stop posting.

modapproved1.png

Welcome to DrunjFlix

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's a fine line between an appropriate celebration and bad sportsmanship. It's like Potter Stewart said about obscenity, "I shall not try to define [it]...but I know it when I see it." I have no problem with asking players to show good sportsmanship. But you can't take it so far as to legislate emotion out of the game, and the new rule next year that TAKES AWAY THE TOUCHDOWN just because the player dives into the end zone is ten steps too far. You take away a touchdown for a penalty that influenced the touchdown, not for a penalty that had no impact on whether the touchdown occurred.

The problem is that the NCAA can't define the line either, and so they err on the side of overreaching and ban all celebrations to retain consistency. They have decided that it is better than an ambiguous standard that leaves too much up to the official's discretion, like pass interference. But, in my mind, they have gone too far in the name of consistency. The game should be fun for the players and the fans, and not allowing players to enjoy themselves and show their emotion on the field is detrimental to the game. The glove penalties were ridiculous. The NCAA should either come up with a better rule that draws a line between celebrations and bad sportsmanship clearly, leave it up to the officials' discretion, or allow celebrations and accept that some people will take it too far.

I guess they can call it premeditated celebration? Or, maybe a gang symbol? I don't know. It was pretty obvious what was being done. I really don't like the elaborate taunting and celebrations... but what is wrong with putting your hands together and showing the palms of your gloves? There is nothing offensive or gang related written on them. I have a hard time seeing how it is so much worse than pumping both fists at the same time. I think the 'O' is harmless.

My bigger beef is when Posey dove into the end zone and they said that the dive was not warranted. He had a defender behind him, as well as a DB on each side of him as he was closing down onto the front of the end zone. It's not like he was in the open field and no one was with in 15 yards of him. He dove into the end zone as 2 DB's closed in on him and, I think, were able to touch his lower half as he crossed the plane of the end zone. I just don't see how it was taunting. At the time, the Buckeyes were only up 10, Pryor made a nice play with his feet and threw on the move to an open Posey who sprinted to the end zone.

I don't get it.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

For everyone who says to celebrate like you've scored before, there is celebrating and there is going overboard which wasn't the case. How can you watch a player get excited playing the game he loves and get mad that he's excited he scored. Look at Alexander Ovechkin, when his teammates score he is the first one to celebrate with him and is the most excited out of the bunch. Guys like that are just fun to watch because they love what they do. Loving the game should not be penalized. I can maybe see a call for diving in the endzone without cause being penalized, but anything beyond that within reason should of been let go.

Starting next year the NCAA has decided that those who dive into the end zone unnecessarily will have the touchdown taken away. Now that is a little bit of overkill. The guys at ESPN stated this is the new rule after watching someone score for Mississippi last week.

Pretty sure Santonio Holmes was flagged for this in 2005.

Anywho, I like how the little intro bump to SportsCenter has Ingram putting his gloves together from last year's title game.

I guess they can call it premeditated celebration? Or, maybe a gang symbol? I don't know. It was pretty obvious what was being done. I really don't like the elaborate taunting and celebrations... but what is wrong with putting your hands together and showing the palms of your gloves? There is nothing offensive or gang related written on them. I have a hard time seeing how it is so much worse than pumping both fists at the same time. I think the 'O' is harmless.

My bigger beef is when Posey dove into the end zone and they said that the dive was not warranted. He had a defender behind him, as well as a DB on each side of him as he was closing down onto the front of the end zone. It's not like he was in the open field and no one was with in 15 yards of him. He dove into the end zone as 2 DB's closed in on him and, I think, were able to touch his lower half as he crossed the plane of the end zone. I just don't see how it was taunting. At the time, the Buckeyes were only up 10, Pryor made a nice play with his feet and threw on the move to an open Posey who sprinted to the end zone.

I don't get it.

It was a terribly officiated game all around. I have no clue why either of those were called.

Starting next year the NCAA has decided that those who dive into the end zone unnecessarily will have the touchdown taken away. Now that is a little bit of overkill. The guys at ESPN stated this is the new rule after watching someone score for Mississippi last week.

So what happens if a player's diving into the endzone to get there before he's tackled?

6fQjS3M.png

So what happens if a player's diving into the endzone to get there before he's tackled?

That would be considered necessary, so no flag. If this has any weight to it being true, the NCAA has officially become a joke to me.... :blink:

That would be considered necessary, so no flag. If this has any weight to it being true, the NCAA has officially become a joke to me.... :blink:

Except for last Saturday, when Posey did this exact thing and WAS flagged for it. Though I'm still unclear on it. Was he flagged for the dive, or for flashing the gloves?

Also, to anyone who wants all celebration removed from sports: Think of any of the most iconic moments in sports and remove any celebratory aspects from them. You're left with nothing.

Imagine 'The Shot' without Jordan leaping into the air and pumping his fist harder than anyone's pumped a fist in the history of mankind. Imagine the U.S. calmly skating off the ice as the clock ran out on the Soviets. Imagine Tom Landry not being carried off the field by his players. You get the idea.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

There's a difference in all those events...those celebrations were spontaneous.

Nike specifically designed these uniform elements as an overly obvious attempt for the individual to get noticed. What was once a genuinely spur-of-the-moment outburst of emotion has become a carefully choreographed "look at me" display of ego and publicity.

Nike has perpetuated the culture of sports into an era of self-promotion and style over substance.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Nike specifically designed these uniform elements as an overly obvious attempt for the individual to get noticed. What was once a genuinely spur-of-the-moment outburst of emotion has become a carefully choreographed "look at me" display of ego and publicity.

Nike has perpetuated the culture of sports into an era of self-promotion and style over substance.

Damn...pretty much spot on, JP.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Seriously. The only problem with celebrations is when dudes go crazy over something entirely routine.

Holy crap! A tackle for a 2-yard loss! Better dance and strut and pose for 15 seconds!

A 7-yard catch for a first down! Better spike that baby and then do the first-down arm point.

Just because Barry Sanders didn't celebrate touchdowns doesn't mean no one should. Maybe he'd celebrate more if he didn't play for one of the worst franchises in all of sports.

jared-allen-sack.jpg

In case you were wondering, I GOT A TACKLE!

On a slightly off topic tangent, the "lasso" or whatever Allen does after every sack is some stupid crap. It's one thing to celebrate with teammates, bump chests or whatever, but to do a "patented" miming of lassoing a hog is just dumb as hell. LOOK AT ME EVERYBODY! I'M PLAYINGS DA FOOTBALL AND DONE CAUGHT ME A PIGGY

Arrogant moron.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Actually, they created a celebration that shows off Nike product, which makes the choreography even more unappealing.

Actually, they created a celebration that shows off Nike product, which makes the choreography even more unappealing.

True, but in some cases, while you may see Nike's "fingerprint", you don't see the swoosh.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Well, that all goes without saying. I hope I didn't imply that I like Nike's built-in celebration tool on their gloves. I could surely do without it. I was just naysaying on the individual who's smitten with Barry Sanders' modesty. Maybe that comes from his father's lack of support.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Except for last Saturday, when Posey did this exact thing and WAS flagged for it. Though I'm still unclear on it. Was he flagged for the dive, or for flashing the gloves?

Also, to anyone who wants all celebration removed from sports: Think of any of the most iconic moments in sports and remove any celebratory aspects from them. You're left with nothing.

Imagine 'The Shot' without Jordan leaping into the air and pumping his fist harder than anyone's pumped a fist in the history of mankind. Imagine the U.S. calmly skating off the ice as the clock ran out on the Soviets. Imagine Tom Landry not being carried off the field by his players. You get the idea.

It's one thing to jump in the air and pump your fist out of pure joy and exuberance. It's another thing to hide a sharpie in your sock all game to autograph a ball after you score.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

Archived