Penalized becuase of Nike Pro Combat?!?

nybatt

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As an athlete I fully understand celebrations after scoring a goal, point, TD, homerun, touch, basket, field goal, or anything else. First, it's just exciting. scoring a goal or getting a touchdown is not an easy thing to do. Even cheo has to admit if he scored a goal at any point while playing soccer he would celebrate at least a little- instead of walking calmly away and logging that in the long list of goals previously scored. Second, it helps to rally the team- for example as a fencer, yelling after a touch is scored is a big morale booster for the team as a whole. In the case of the OSU gloves, it helped to rally the 12th man. It's the same as a player from TTU pointing his fingers into the air or a player from UT making the longhorn motion. Finally, removing celebration removes a huge psychological aspect of the game. Sports are emotional. If you see your opponent celebrate after scoring, you are bound to be discouraged, while if they have no emotional response to the event, you are less inclined to be affected by the numbers on the board.

Soccer.jpg?t=1301776720England.png?t=1301868161Germany-1.png?t=1301800713FCB.png?t=1303259982

I've come to the conclusion that Willmorris has never participated as a member of a team in an organized sport in his life. If he did then he wouldn't have the opinions that he has. He definitely has never played ice hockey.

Nobody should celebrate or "Act like you been there before" is really :censored:ing stupid. It's like telling a fan not to cheer or get excited when their team scores or wins because their team has scored or won before. For some reason, some people think that the actual athletes on the field aren't allowed to share in the moment of happiness. It could be argued that they should be able to celebrate more than anyone in the stands as their lives are more personally affected by their on-field success.

Spontaneous celebration in the heat of the moment is great. It's emotional, sports are emotional, it adds to the excitement, and if you take the emotion away from sports then it's just not as interesting. I really don't like premeditated celebrations and I really hate premeditated celebrations for routine plays such as tackling a guy after a 4 yard gain, but I fail to see how placing your hands together to form an O is that egregious. Hell, Oregon does it left and right and they aren't ever flagged for it. Come to think of it, The big ten officials are needlessly stringent on their excessive celebration enforcement. Other conferences seem to get more leeway with player celebrating.

If you have a problem with players celebrating scores or wins then you are either old or dumb or both.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I've come to the conclusion that Willmorris has never participated as a member of a team in an organized sport in his life. If he did then he wouldn't have the opinions that he has. He definitely has never played ice hockey.

Nobody should celebrate or "Act like you been there before" is really :censored:ing stupid. It's like telling a fan not to cheer or get excited when their team scores or wins because their team has scored or won before. For some reason, some people think that the actual athletes on the field aren't allowed to share in the moment of happiness. It could be argued that they should be able to celebrate more than anyone in the stands as their lives are more personally affected by their on-field success.

Spontaneous celebration in the heat of the moment is great. It's emotional, sports are emotional, it adds to the excitement, and if you take the emotion away from sports then it's just not as interesting. I really don't like premeditated celebrations and I really hate premeditated celebrations for routine plays such as tackling a guy after a 4 yard gain, but I fail to see how placing your hands together to form an O is that egregious. Hell, Oregon does it left and right and they aren't ever flagged for it. Come to think of it, The big ten officials are needlessly stringent on their excessive celebration enforcement. Other conferences seem to get more leeway with player celebrating.

If you have a problem with players celebrating scores or wins then you are either old or dumb or both.

No, I played football, and I wrestled. But when I see a great player like Barry Sanders act like he did when he scored a touchdown, it naturally makes me wish all players did that.

LvZYtbZ.png

I agree 100%. Thing I love most about sports are the exciting moments when players get involved with the fans and such. Premeditated stuff doesn't exactly bother me, but I like it better when it's just spur-of-the-moment type stuff (chest-bumps, pumping up the crowd, raising fists, and so on). As far as the celebrating after tackles goes, I think it's absolutely ridiculous after just a mediocre play. But that being said; if it's a 3rd down stop or a big sack, it's perfectly acceptable IMO to celebrate and interact with the crowd.

Like others have said, if you've ever played sports in your life then you know how absurd it would be "act like you've been there before" in exciting moments.

Take away the celebration both of players and fans, and your defeating the purpose of sports.

14622089383_66ed2643e0_o.jpg14415375480_b33010b5ce_o.jpg14602016315_3e9fe74148_o.jpg

I seriously get sick of penalties over stupid stuff and celebrating penalties are ridiculous and need to be taken out of all games. If you don't want a guy celebrating, then stop him. The fact of the matter is the NFL went down hill seriously when they banned the "Fun Bunch" of the Redskins. We're playing a game here and if a guy scores and is happy about it and shows it in a way that is different than you, so be it. I hate this idea that everyone needs to act like they've been there before. I'm tired of this forced way you should play the game. Let's all call a spade a spade when talking about these "taunting" rules and "unsportsman conduct" let's be honest, who exactly are we targeting? Simple, the non-white athlete. I'm white and I see these penalties are being thrown on 99% black athletes who make up a majority of the skill position in football. If you want to know who this was exactly targeting in the begining? The Miami Hurricanes of the Jimmy Johnson era who were brash and in your face. I don't have a problem with a brash team and one getting in your face because they scored. I have a problem with the team giving up the score and whining about it. I want personality in sports, if you want to watch boredom, then watch a chess match.

Seriously. The only problem with celebrations is when dudes go crazy over something entirely routine.

Holy crap! A tackle for a 2-yard loss! Better dance and strut and pose for 15 seconds!

A 7-yard catch for a first down! Better spike that baby and then do the first-down arm point.

Just because Barry Sanders didn't celebrate touchdowns doesn't mean no one should. Maybe he'd celebrate more if he didn't play for one of the worst franchises in all of sports.

1zgyd8w.jpg

I went to reply to this thread, then realized this post pretty much covers everything. Well said.

teamlogossig.png

There comes a point when you don't stand for the constant heartbreak anymore, and walk away.

I hate this idea that everyone needs to act like they've been there before. I'm tired of this forced way you should play the game. Let's all call a spade a spade when talking about these "taunting" rules and "unsportsman conduct" let's be honest, who exactly are we targeting? Simple, the non-white athlete. I'm white and I see these penalties are being thrown on 99% black athletes who make up a majority of the skill position in football.

That's a pretty accurate assessment.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

when I see a great player like Barry Sanders act like he did when he scored a touchdown, it naturally makes me wish all players did that.

When I see a great player like Terrell Owens act like he did when he scored a touchdown, it naturally makes me wish all players did that.

And now we're at a standstill.

Seriously though. We all know football is the ultimate team sport. But sometimes, I like seeing the individual personalities. It's OK to celebrate a proud moment like scoring a touchdown. And while I agree that excessive TD celebrations are pompous, a simple salute like Terrell Davis or throwing up the hand sign of your alma mater or even teammates hugging you and patting you on the shoulder or back are actions that shouldn't be chastised.

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

I seriously get sick of penalties over stupid stuff and celebrating penalties are ridiculous and need to be taken out of all games. If you don't want a guy celebrating, then stop him. The fact of the matter is the NFL went down hill seriously when they banned the "Fun Bunch" of the Redskins. We're playing a game here and if a guy scores and is happy about it and shows it in a way that is different than you, so be it. I hate this idea that everyone needs to act like they've been there before. I'm tired of this forced way you should play the game. Let's all call a spade a spade when talking about these "taunting" rules and "unsportsman conduct" let's be honest, who exactly are we targeting? Simple, the non-white athlete. I'm white and I see these penalties are being thrown on 99% black athletes who make up a majority of the skill position in football. If you want to know who this was exactly targeting in the begining? The Miami Hurricanes of the Jimmy Johnson era who were brash and in your face. I don't have a problem with a brash team and one getting in your face because they scored. I have a problem with the team giving up the score and whining about it. I want personality in sports, if you want to watch boredom, then watch a chess match.

You really need to be careful with this, because what you're basically doing is race baiting. I would throw the book at white athletes celebrating equally as hard as I would the non-white athlete.

LvZYtbZ.png

Starting next year the NCAA has decided that those who dive into the end zone unnecessarily will have the touchdown taken away. Now that is a little bit of overkill. The guys at ESPN stated this is the new rule after watching someone score for Mississippi last week.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Seriously. The only problem with celebrations is when dudes go crazy over something entirely routine.

Holy crap! A tackle for a 2-yard loss! Better dance and strut and pose for 15 seconds!

A 7-yard catch for a first down! Better spike that baby and then do the first-down arm point.

Just because Barry Sanders didn't celebrate touchdowns doesn't mean no one should. Maybe he'd celebrate more if he didn't play for one of the worst franchises in all of sports.

jared-allen-sack.jpg

In case you were wondering, I GOT A TACKLE!

sigpurp.png

---Owner of the NHA's Philadelphia Quakers, the UBA's Chicago Skyliners, and the CFA's Portland Beavers (2010 CFA2 Champions)---

jared-allen-sack.jpg

In case you were wondering, I GOT A SACK!

Fixed for accuracy.

jared-allen-sack.jpg

In case you were wondering, I GOT A SACK!

Fixed for accuracy.

A square is a rectangle, but a rectangle is not a square. happy.gif

sigpurp.png

---Owner of the NHA's Philadelphia Quakers, the UBA's Chicago Skyliners, and the CFA's Portland Beavers (2010 CFA2 Champions)---

I wish the NFL would go back to the pre 06' rules for celebrations. No group dances, but a player can use objects or get on the ground. I mean seriously WHO CARES if Ochocinco uses the pylon as a putter when he scores a TD. The NFL claims that they want to set an example for children, but the last time I checked TO and Ochocinco aren't the kids parents or guardians.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

Archived