BCS Uni's

denkerprime

I've already said that I love the look that Oregon will be wearing, including the color scheme. However out of pure curiosity, I decided to do a quick photoshop of this exact design with traditional school colors. The left two use nothing but green, yellow, and white. The one on the right is the new design for the sake of comparison. Please realize that photoshop isn't a strength of mine and I only spent about 30 minutes on these, but I think they give you the idea.

So. For everyone who is pining for Oregon to use their traditional colors in the "biggest game in school history", does this do it for you?

cb8c4c38.png

Personally, although the green and yellow do look very nice, I am still partial to the new neon. Especially for a game of this magnitude. I don't think I'd want it for a full season and I worry about what it would look like as a primary color (highlighter pants or jersey). But as an accent and change of pace for a HUGE game, I flat out love it. It's hotness.

That actually does look really good, honestly. I think a yellow helmet with green pants would make it perfect, but this does look great. I would have really liked it if they went with this instead.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've already said that I love the look that Oregon will be wearing, including the color scheme. However out of pure curiosity, I decided to do a quick photoshop of this exact design with traditional school colors. The left two use nothing but green, yellow, and white. The one on the right is the new design for the sake of comparison. Please realize that photoshop isn't a strength of mine and I only spent about 30 minutes on these, but I think they give you the idea.

So. For everyone who is pining for Oregon to use their traditional colors in the "biggest game in school history", does this do it for you?

cb8c4c38.png

The photoshopped images look fine.

As for "doing it for me," yes they do. Both mock-ups that use the traditional green/gold scheme are far superior to the carbon grey/highlighter yellow scheme they're actually wearing.

Personally, although the green and yellow do look very nice, I am still partial to the new neon. Especially for a game of this magnitude. I don't think I'd want it for a full season and I worry about what it would look like as a primary color (highlighter pants or jersey). But as an accent and change of pace for a HUGE game, I flat out love it. It's hotness.

That's just it though, for a game of this magnitude they should wear the school colours. They can play dress-up with colours outside of their traditional scheme during the season. For the National Title game, though? They need to wear the colours that represent their school.

Though I do love the wings on the shoulders it would have been great if they rolled with the traditional look but with the modern O on the helmet as they have previously done:

BarnerkickreturnvsOSU09_display_image.jpg?1283190919

That looks nice. To bad it's not "hot" enough for Ducks fans.

I still don't see the traditional uni = success argument. There are no such things as superstitions, there are such things as traditions, but even traditions don't equal success. In 100 years from now I bet the argument will be "newer uniforms=success and old uniforms=failure" or something similar.

The point is, it is absurd to even argue this, but to put out "data" that proves nothing other than those teams had awesome players/coaches is just dumb.

The uniforms don't make the teams.

I still don't see the traditional uni = success argument. There are no such things as superstitions, there are such things as traditions, but even traditions don't equal success. In 100 years from now I bet the argument will be "newer uniforms=success and old uniforms=failure" or something similar.

The point is, it is absurd to even argue this, but to put out "data" that proves nothing other than those teams had awesome players/coaches is just dumb.

You're missing the point. No one's saying "traditional uniforms" lead to success. What we're saying is that the teams that tend to succeed are teams that want to hold onto their past traditions and look the part of a winning football program. That means wearing your school colours and not black, graphite, carbon grey, and the assorted highlighter pallet.

Take a look at the photoshopped image. If the colours are changed to reflect the school's traditional colour scheme the uniform looks 100X better. It's modern, but it uses an appealing, traditional colour scheme. The best of both worlds.

What they're actually going with not only fails to reflect their school, but it looks bad to boot.

The uniforms don't make the teams.

Of course they don't. That goes both ways though. If traditional uniforms don't make their teams, then Oregon's uniforms don't make them.

cb8c4c38.png

As for "doing it for me," yes they do. Both mock-ups that use the traditional green/gold scheme are far superior to the carbon grey/highlighter yellow scheme they're actually wearing.

That's just it though, for a game of this magnitude they should wear the school colours. They can play dress-up with colours outside of their traditional scheme during the season. For the National Title game, though? They need to wear the colours that represent their school.

We just have flat out different opinions here. I view a stage as big as the National Title game as the PERFECT time to break out something crazy like highlighter socks. As a look all its own, its beautiful. And it showcases to the biggest possible audience what we are about. It pushes the envelope. My biggest uniform-related disappointment this year was that be broke out the carbon helmets for the 1st time during an untelevised game against Portland State. Why waste such a cool thing on such a meaningless game? And honestly, I'm kinda upset that we didn't rock our colors against Oregon St. I think its more important to show your colors against a rival than against some school from another conference.

This is the National Title. All eyes on us. I want to be loud and in your face. I want to jump off the screen. I don't want to get aesthetically conservative. I want people to say "WOW. Look at Oregon!!!" Not, "Hmmm, thats a nice combo."

If our school colors were actually gray and neon yellow, you'd probably love this look.

Though I do love the wings on the shoulders it would have been great if they rolled with the traditional look but with the modern O on the helmet as they have previously done:

Eh, nice look, but that was LAST year's big game outfit. This year we need something different. And I've always had a personal beef with such an obvious crossing of current and throwback looks. I much preferred the true throwback that they wore against Cal last year.

We just have flat out different opinions here. I view a stage as big as the National Title game as the PERFECT time to break out something crazy like highlighter socks. As a look all its own, its beautiful. And it showcases to the biggest possible audience what we are about. It pushes the envelope. My biggest uniform-related disappointment this year was that be broke out the carbon helmets for the 1st time during an untelevised game against Portland State. Why waste such a cool thing on such a meaningless game? And honestly, I'm kinda upset that we didn't rock our colors against Oregon St. I think its more important to show your colors against a rival than against some school from another conference.

This is the National Title. All eyes on us. I want to be loud and in your face. I want to jump off the screen. I don't want to get aesthetically conservative. I want people to say "WOW. Look at Oregon!!!" Not, "Hmmm, thats a nice combo."

I've watched sports with a wide variety of people. From casual acquaintances to friends to siblings and cousins to older family members to strangers at a bar. In my experience most people (ie not people who attend forums dedicated to sports logos and uniforms) don't say anything about uniforms unless they're an odd throwback or if they're ugly. No one ever says "hmmm that's a nice colour scheme" because most people just do not care. As long as they uniform looks the way it's suppose to it passes over their heads.

If people say anything about the way Oregon's dressed it'll either be "what are they wearing, it looks terrible" or "why aren't they wearing green and yellow?" Bank on it.

As for your response in general, wow. How many buzz words can you cram into one post? "Showcasing," "pushing the envelope," "loud and in your face." Are you sure you don't work for either the Ducks or Nike?

I have no problem with the Ducks wanting to try new things when it comes to their uniforms. They cross a line, however, when they just give up on using their colours. You can "push the envelope" and look good at the same time. Wearing your team colours is always a good way to ensure you look good. Trying a new futuristic look while abandoning your school colours for a loud, obnoxious scheme that looks terrible? Not a good move.

It'll be a pleasure watching simple navy and orange pound that neon yellow into the dirt though.

If our school colors were actually gray and neon yellow, you'd probably love this look.

If grey and highlighter yellow were your school colours I'd say your school has an ugly colour scheme. That's the problem with this look, it sucks on two levels. On one hand it doesn't represent the school. On the other hand it looks terrible.

The University of Oregon's colours aren't grey and highlighter yellow though. So that accusation on your part is ultimately meaningless regarding the topic at hand.

Just curious, does Oregon have all of those traditions and national championships in the past that the so called "storied programs" do? I've never known Oregon to have that kind of history in football. So what they're doing is creating their own history and traditions. It's becoming Oregon tradition to have ever evolving uniforms that are the most inovative, wild, push-the-envelope designs one can imagine. It's becoming their tradition to roll out something new each week. It doesn't matter if they use the traditional green and gold or not, everything they do still scream "Oregon Football." And while whether or not it leads to success is a hard question to answer, there is no doubt about it that the uniforms create national exposure for a school way out northwest. And they're playing for the national championship. When was the last time they did that? Look at their records in past. Why tie traditon to that when you create you're own and be successful doing so?

A friend of mine that doesn't care the slightest bit about uniforms saw the pics and said, "those are cool." Isn't that what it is all about for Nike? -capturing the attention of the common fan with something new and flashy.

As a Ducks fan, I say at least use the regular yellow. It just seems so unneccessary.

cb8c4c38.png

I do recall Todd Blackledge of ABC randomly commenting during the Civil War something along the lines of (paraphrasing) "I like that Oregon likes to be different, but there is NO reason not to wear school colors at all. It makes no sense, they look like the AFL Oakland Raiders out there."

Now, if a broadcaster is going to go out of his way to randomly state his opinion on a uniform (while said team is about to score and in the end zone, of all times), either the uniforms are really good or really bad. In his case, they were really bad.

I'm really not trying to dog on you or anything like that, really. I'm just saying, it's not always "WOW!!" to some when it comes to Oregon. And regarding Oregon making some sort of tradition with these uniforms, everyone knows that isn't true. You know that because they're Oregon, they'll change thier set again in two years or so. They never stick with the same set for more than four years, they just don't. So this isn't any tradition they're making, it's just another book on the bookshelf. Twenty years from now they'll have been three or more sets worn.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

Just curious, does Oregon have all of those traditions and national championships in the past that the so called "storied programs" do? I've never known Oregon to have that kind of history in football. So what they're doing is creating their own history and traditions. It's becoming Oregon tradition to have ever evolving uniforms that are the most inovative, wild, push-the-envelope designs one can imagine. It's becoming their tradition to roll out something new each week. It doesn't matter if they use the traditional green and gold or not, everything they do still scream "Oregon Football." And while whether or not it leads to success is a hard question to answer, there is no doubt about it that the uniforms create national exposure for a school way out northwest. And they're playing for the national championship. When was the last time they did that? Look at their records in past. Why tie traditon to that when you create you're own and be successful doing so?

You can't replace something with nothing and expect it to be something.

You cannot build your own tradition if there is no consistency regarding your uniforms. An aesthetic tradition of constant change, ultimately, leaves the program with no aesthetic tradition at all.

And it not mattering if they wear their school colours? I disagree sir. Carbon grey and highlighter yellow does not scream "Oregon football." I would wage that casual fans not familiar with Oregon's rotating uniform system have switched on a Ducks game or two and have been confused as to who they were watching simply because the Ducks weren't wearing the Ducks' colours.

What screams Oregon football? Green and athletic gold. They're free to do anything else they want as long as they keep those colours. Some of their experiments may look downright awful, but as long as they keep those colours, they'll look like the Oregon Ducks. Once they abandon those colours (which they already have) they've cut all ties with their program's aesthetic traditions. What they've built up in place of that tradition is a rotating set of highlighter yellow, black, and carbon grey, all in various degrees.

They've replaced something with nothing. Don't be surprised when that nothing doesn't amount to anything in the long term.

cb8c4c38.png

I do recall Todd Blackledge of ABC randomly commenting during the Civil War something along the lines of (paraphrasing) "I like that Oregon likes to be different, but there is NO reason not to wear school colors at all. It makes no sense, they look like the AFL Oakland Raiders out there."

Now, if a broadcaster is going to go out of his way to randomly state his opinion on a uniform (while said team is about to score and in the end zone, of all times), either the uniforms are really good or really bad. In his case, they were really bad.

I'm really not trying to dog on you or anything like that, really. I'm just saying, it's not always "WOW!!" to some when it comes to Oregon. And regarding Oregon making some sort of tradition with these uniforms, everyone knows that isn't true. You know that because they're Oregon, they'll change thier set again in two years or so. They never stick with the same set for more than four years, they just don't. So this isn't any tradition they're making, it's just another book on the bookshelf. Twenty years from now they'll have been three or more sets worn.

I'm not saying they are making tradition with these particular uniforms. I am saying that they are making tradition by having a wild ever-evolving uniform that really has no "tradition" what so ever. Their tradition is to change to the newest, most inovating thing avaliable regardless of the past. No one else does that but Oregon. The craziness and change is becoming their tradition.

I think Oregon's constant changes or evolving uniform are a trademark or a knack rather than a tradition. Oregon is known for thier uniforms for much different reasons than Alabama or Penn State. When you look at Alabama or Penn State, it's "those guys have had the same uniform and have kept a consistency about them for years and years." When you look at Oregon, it's "this is combo 39 out of 1,004,363. Two years from now, they'll come out with something even crazier! They always do!" They're both equally well known, but for entirely different reasons, and that is that Oregon has a knack for changing uniforms. Without much consistency at all, it's hard for me to call it a tradition. It's just my personal opinion.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

I think Oregon's constant changes or evolving uniform are a trademark or a knack rather than a tradition. Oregon is known for thier uniforms for much different reasons than Alabama or Penn State. When you look at Alabama or Penn State, it's "those guys have had the same uniform and have kept a consistency about them for years and years." When you look at Oregon, it's "this is combo 39 out of 1,004,363. Two years from now, they'll come out with something even crazier! They always do!" They're both equally well known, but for entirely different reasons, and that is that Oregon has a knack for changing uniforms. Without much consistency at all, it's hard for me to call it a tradition. It's just my personal opinion.

I'll agree with this. Trademark and knack are better words. That is pretty much what I was trying to say. Bama and PSU have their thing that they're known for, and it's tradition. Oregon has their thing, and have become known for their evolving uniform. Just like Bama doesnt need the change, Oregon doesnt need the stability of tradition. Both have become staples as they are.

I have a very long analysis on the Oregon uniforms. It regards my overall feelings towards school colors, modern sets, color combinations, etc. If you read the whole thing, thanks! Just thought I'd put all my thoughts together regarding the state of Oregon uniforms.

I?ll add my perspective regarding the Oregon uniforms. I have no affiliation with Oregon as I?ve grown up in the south all my life. I tend to consider myself a traditionalist with an appreciation for well designed modern uniforms. I grew up watching Auburn and their classic uniforms for most of my childhood and now enjoy watching the iconic red helmets, red shirts and staple silver britches of Georgia on Saturdays as it is the school I attend. I like to tune into a game and see the white and burnt orange of Texas and know who is playing. I know when Florida comes out on the field, I will see some variation of blue, orange, and white. Playing in your school?s colors should be a beacon of pride. I would never want to see Georgia come out wearing a new-fangled color not part of our scheme because Nike presented it to us as a marketing opportunity. However, I can respect the occasional black jersey or black pants (no black helmet, however! The red lid is a must!). There is just something about walking into a stadium on a Saturday and knowing your team has a great tradition. If I watched the Dawgs play a game in Sanford Stadium wearing some new uniforms with neon reflective features and a futuristic helmet without that G, it would simply feel very wrong.

Oregon has already developed this tradition of innovation, so I digress. I think their current set is fairly good as far as modern uniforms go. It doesn?t feature needless striping or colored mesh inserts designed to only highlight the materials. It does feature a modern, yet appealing wing design on the shoulders, which is neither obstructive nor annoying. Overall the design is relatively clean and has potential. I have also come to accept that Oregon has added in a few colors to their ?official? green and yellow scheme. I can now accept the black, but in my eyes, it all depends on the execution as to whether it looks good. I cannot truly accept the gray, however.

Take any combination of the green, yellow, and white pieces of the kit. I think any combination looks great in their current set. All green works, white/green/white looks good, white/white/green looks awesome, as does the snow patrol all white. The throwback hybrid might be the best, but I digress as I?m talking about the current winged set.

The problem for me is that there are simply too many combinations. They currently have THREE white jerseys. Holy smokes, one or two isn?t enough? I despise the carbon helmet regardless of what color the logo is. I can go either way on the gray pants, it depends on the rest of the uniform. In my opinion, when the Ducks wear only one or less of their colors, they fail to look like the Ducks. The white/gray set against Oregon State did not represent the school AT ALL, and therefore was completely awful in my opinion. The only set where I have liked the gray pants is when they went white/green/gray. I thought it looked unique and visually appealing. However, when they went green/green/gray and gray/green/gray I simply thought they looked dirty and ugly.

The set as a whole seems to really depend on what the combo is, otherwise it will be a complete toss up whether or not it looks good. For some reason, the black works perfectly fine for me, and I like the all black ninja duck look. If I had it my way, I would completely eliminate all gray pieces, eliminate all other white jerseys except the one with green trimming, and then limit which combos can be worn.

The new BCS championship set is my least favorite combination Oregon has ever debuted. That carbon and neon helmet looks absolutely nothing like Oregon to me. A white jersey with gray numbers and neon trim is a slap in the face to the people who bleed green and yellow. You are on the biggest stage of your program?s history, and you are going to walk out wearing gray and neon? Who do you think you are? I certainly will know because I stay up to date with this uni stuff, but I guarantee you there will be plenty of people asking ?why the heck is Oregon wearing NONE of their school colors?? My thought is that if Oregon wins this game, we will look back and see photos of this team dressed in a set featuring gray and neon. 50 years from now, kids will ask their parents why Oregon changed their colors from gray and neon to green and yellow. This is simply because you EXPECT to wear the colors of the school you are representing. Why would a kid 50 years from now think the school?s colors are green and yellow when the championship winning picture shows him a team wearing colors of gray and neon? Oregon isn?t the team who left their uniforms back home and have to wear the opposition?s practice jerseys. You have school colors, USE THEM.

I guess the thing that bothers me the most is that they have the opportunity to raise that trophy and be labeled the best team of the year. If they win, they will be remembered for wearing a gray and neon set and not their real colors. Does this start a new tradition and essentially usher in gray and neon as official school colors because that?s what they wore at their finest hour? I sure hope not. Just one more reason to pull for Auburn I suppose.

Oregon has the potential to be a great dressed team (and at times they are). They just need to cut out the unnecessary options and stick to the colors of the school. I?d rather not have to tell my kids in 10 years that Oregon?s colors were not actually gray and neon, and this was some hyped up marketing scheme. I know Oregon is Nike?s demo doll, but they need to show some level of restraint and not accept everything Nike tries to give them.

Exactly.

If Oregon wins the title this year, the videos and photos and moment will be remembered in gray and neon. The rest of school history in every aspect will be green and gold. But potentially the greatest achievement for Oregon athletics will be remembered in Carbon and Neon.

You do the funky uniform combos and weird colors in the meaningless games. So there is something more interesting than a beatdown. It's the same reasons why in baseball and other sports that promotions are given out for the weak matchups. You don't get promotions in the BIG games, you do it to get people to come that otherwise wouldn't go to that game. That can be said about the uniforms.

In the greatest exposure the school can possibly get in this day and age, you want to present the greatest and most accurate representation of the University of Oregon. And that would be Green and Gold, not Carbon and Neon.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULB | USMNT | USWNT | LAFC | OCSC | MAN UTD |

cb8c4c38.png

Eh, nice look, but that was LAST year's big game outfit. This year we need something different. And I've always had a personal beef with such an obvious crossing of current and throwback looks. I much preferred the true throwback that they wore against Cal last year.

I actually think the ncg unis are rather bland without the shoes and socks...gray helmet and all white uniform is not exciting or flashy at all...just very washed out.

you know what color combo really screams WOW?..dark metallic green and bright yellow...they are the only d1 program in the country that has that combo and are playing for the title on the biggest stage and they turn their back on their school colors...it's rather embarrassing if you ask me...the carbon is fine for a one off during the regular season but this is the biggest moment this team and university has ever had and you get a grayscale photocopy outlined with a highlighter.

I was fortunate to go to the sc michigan rose bowl a few years ago and that was amazing...two schools with only two colors that just flooded you eyes with color...oregon's colors have the same effect and it's a shame they aren't going to be visible.

cb8c4c38.png

green helmet white jersey green socks yellow cleats

It is possible to be aesthetically innovative while showcasing your school colors.

It's going to be a crying shame when Oregon pulls the upset and the greatest moment in the school's sports history is in highlighter yellow and gray. At least, that would bug me if I were an Oregon alum/student/fan. If you're an Oregon alum/student/fan and you're okay with it then that's fine, I think you're weird for not being irked by it, but it's still okay.

Uniform Opinions are subjective. Perhaps I'll put that in my sig as a reminder to everyone.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Archived