BCS Uni's

denkerprime

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Boring uni's =/= success. Yes, there are a handful of teams that have boring uni's and are successful. But what about Miami? Their uni's are far from traditional and they had success up until recently. TCU has been successful lately, Utah has been successful lately, Boise State has been successful recently.

They don't have traditional uniforms to say the least.

Of course success doesn't come because of traditional uniforms. But there is a correlation between success and traditional uniforms. One national champion since 2000 has worn non-traditional uniforms:

2000 Oklahoma

2001 Miami

2002 Ohio State

2003 LSU/USC

2004 USC

2005 Texas

2006 Florida

2007 LSU

2008 Florida

2009 Alabama

I'm pretty sure if you ran some regressions, you find there's a correlation between success and traditional uniforms. Not because traditional uniforms makes a team better, but because successful teams want to hold on to their traditions. The best-known programs have generally held on their traditional uniforms in some form--USC, Florida, LSU, Alabama, Tennessee, Texas, Oklahoma, Nebraska, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Michigan. The uniforms offer a connection between the present teams and fans and past success.

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

i kinda like the idea of the neon yellow/green; it kind of mixes the two colors to be used as a striking highlight color. and the boise st design looks to be a blue version of the grey ones worn vs. vt this year along with the same helmet and now a plain pair of blue pants. it looks like nike is just using the bowl games as a way to see if the new uniform cuts and material will be good for next year and if they can be used with the current design. i would not be suprised if florida is using this new template to see if the players like it, and if so then changing the uniforms next year with the new coach...but if not they have clearly shown that the new material can be used with a traditional design.

Miami.png

Well when you use selective reasoning like that you're right. We could also say that no team that has wings on their uniform has ever won the national championship, UH OH, Oregon is screwed.

Boring uni's =/= success. Yes, there are a handful of teams that have boring uni's and are successful. But what about Miami? Their uni's are far from traditional and they had success up until recently. TCU has been successful lately, Utah has been successful lately, Boise State has been successful recently.

There is no need to put an apostrophe in unis. Adding an apostrophe is either a contraction for "uni is" or is referring to something that belongs to the uni.

And he wasn't arguing that no team can be successful with "modern" uniforms, simply that it is foolish to think all these kids are going to flock to Oregon just because they dress like clowns. Penn State is still alive and well despite having the most boring uniforms imaginable.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

And any idiot who knows jack about college football will tell you that the most successful programs have probably the most traditional (translated into Oregonese: Boring) uniforms.

Boise State had the winningest record of the 2000s (119-17, if anyone's curious). Their uniforms were never traditional or plain during that time period. Also on that list - TCU, Virginia Tech, Miami (FL), Utah, Oregon, and West Virginia. All of those teams wore modern uniforms throughout all or some of that decade.

In other words, plain uniforms have absolutely no correlation to success.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

And any idiot who knows jack about college football will tell you that the most successful programs have probably the most traditional (translated into Oregonese: Boring) uniforms.

Boise State had the winningest record of the 2000s (119-17, if anyone's curious). Their uniforms were never traditional or plain during that time period. Also on that list - TCU, Virginia Tech, Miami (FL), Utah, Oregon, and West Virginia. All of those teams wore modern uniforms throughout all or some of that decade.

And neither do clown suits.

Haters gonna hate, we at Oregon could care less. I LOVE the look. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it. Its everything that Oregon is this year. Its flash. Its wings. Its bright colors. Its innovation. Its the carbon helmet. Its different.

Its pure sex.

Ya know, if the BCS had kept us at #1, we'd be the home team and probably be wearing green. But we're stuck in white and we're rocking it Duck-style.

And for those who say we aren't wearing school colors, I ask what color is the O on the helmet? What color is the number trim? What color are the shoes and socks? Looks yellow to me.

This is EXACTLY the look I wanted for the national title game. Biggest game in school history and we're showing every 18 year old recruit in the country how f-ing bad ass we look.

This is not the game for throwbacks. This is not the game to get conservative about uniforms or try to squeeze some aesthetic tradition into a program that so thoroughly rejects it. We've always been one step ahead, and look where its gotten us. We're playing in our first national championship game. I for one can't wait to see LaMichael James break a 50 yard TD run and watch his neon yellow feet get all blurry. Gonna need to find an HD tv for this one!!!

Go Ducks. WTD.

Good G-d. I hope Auburn runs all over your poorly dressed team.

Of course success doesn't come because of traditional uniforms. But there is a correlation between success and traditional uniforms. One national champion since 2000 has worn non-traditional uniforms:

2000 Oklahoma

2001 Miami

2002 Ohio State

2003 LSU/USC

2004 USC

2005 Texas

2006 Florida

2007 LSU

2008 Florida

2009 Alabama

I'm pretty sure if you ran some regressions, you find there's a correlation between success and traditional uniforms. Not because traditional uniforms makes a team better, but because successful teams want to hold on to their traditions. The best-known programs have generally held on their traditional uniforms in some form--USC, Florida, LSU, Alabama, Tennessee, Texas, Oklahoma, Nebraska, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Michigan. The uniforms offer a connection between the present teams and fans and past success.

Very well said.

Yes, but Boise's uniforms are hardly as gaudy as Oregon's. Gray numbers and one abnormal Pro Combat uniform =/= BFBS and SFSS gone crazy.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Exactly, which is why the argument that a certain type of uniform is part of a program's success is so absurd. The only program that could possibly claim uniforms as a small fragment of their success is Oregon, and that's only because they use theirs as a recruiting tool.

I would go on to say that trying to tie uniform design to recruitment is just as absurd. Recruits will go to whichever school gives them the best deal/chance to succeed. The uniforms are way down on the list.

For those few who do consider the uniforms, I would say it's an even split. For every recruit who wants to wear the latest Oregon uniform there's one who wants to wear Michigan's classic look.

Oregon's clown suits are no more a recruiting tool then Notre Dame's classic uniforms.

Furthermore there is something to be said that only one program since 2000 has won a BCS Title wearing a non-traditional uniform. Maybe it's because, as Mingjai said, the schools that succeed want to hang onto their traditions. The teams that succeed, that is to say, want to look the part.

It should be noted that this whole thing is being misrepresented as a "traditional" vs "modern" debate. It's not, really. It's about looking good. You can have a modern uniform design and still look good. Oregon simply fails in this regard. They just don't look good.

You would think that for the biggest game in the program's history they would want to wear the colours that represent the school. This National Title uniform lacks any reference to the University of Oregon's colour scheme. And no, I'm not counting the highlighter yellow.

If nothing else, new unis create a bit of buzz. Always a good thing.

NCFA-FCS/CBB: Minnesota A&M | RANZBA (OOTP): Auckland Warriors | USA: Front Range United | IFA: Toverit Helsinki | FOBL: Kentucky Juggernaut

Minnesota A&M 2012 National Champions 2013 National Finalist, 2014 National Semi-finals 2012, 2013, 2014 Big 4 Conference Champions

Exactly, which is why the argument that a certain type of uniform is part of a program's success is so absurd. The only program that could possibly claim uniforms as a small fragment of their success is Oregon, and that's only because they use theirs as a recruiting tool.

I would go on to say that trying to tie uniform design to recruitment is just as absurd. Recruits will go to whichever school gives them the best deal/chance to succeed. The uniforms are way down on the list.

For those few who do consider the uniforms, I would say it's an even split. For every recruit who wants to wear the latest Oregon uniform there's one who wants to wear Michigan's classic look.

Oregon's clown suits are no more a recruiting tool then Notre Dame's classic uniforms.

Furthermore there is something to be said that only one program since 2000 has won a BCS Title wearing a non-traditional uniform. Maybe it's because, as Mingjai said, the schools that succeed want to hang onto their traditions. The teams that succeed, that is to say, want to look the part.

It should be noted that this whole thing is being misrepresented as a "traditional" vs "modern" debate. It's not, really. It's about looking good. You can have a modern uniform design and still look good. Oregon simply fails in this regard. They just don't look good.

You would think that for the biggest game in the program's history they would want to wear the colours that represent the school. This National Title uniform lacks any reference to the University of Oregon's colour scheme. And no, I'm not counting the highlighter yellow.

+5, well said. That's my thought, that you can still be modern and wear school colors. It's been my opinion all along that if Oregon kept the DESIGN but used strictly GREEN, YELLOW, and WHITE, they'd have the best uniforms in college football. Yet, they trot out in what looks like aluminum foil and brite-lite neon..something (can we really call that awful blinding color yellow?). It's not the design that's bad in my opinion, it's the execution. If Utah ever came out with a modern design that was futuristic and unique (more so than what they currently wear I mean), it'd take some time but I could get behind it, as long as it was executed well. However, if they came trotting out in all black or carbon or something, I'd pull my hair out.

It doesn't take carbon-for-carbons-sake, neon-for-neon's sake, or black-for-black's sake to look good. Oregon's true school colors on thier own are a fantastic combo and look great as they are, I don't understand why they feel the need to eliminate them. It makes no sense.

And before anyone throws out the "BUT ITZ NIKE YO!!" card, I get that Oregon is an experiment school and that's okay. But, as in any set of experiments, some can go very wrong, as has happened the past four or five years. They get close, but something always shoots it down in the end. They had something going with this current design, but killed it when they spilled the Carbon everywhere. The Diamond plate unis were actually a good look as a design...problem was diamond plate had nothing to do with Ducks and therefore looked completely out of place.

What kills thier "experiments" the most for me is the fact that, at one point in the past decade, they actually got it right:

demetriuswilliamsjpg-63d8d3902029f032.jpg

kellenclemensjpg-e8f63eab69fbcb1e.jpg

Why? Because they are the perfect example of pulling off a modern look while not looking entirely ridiculous. School colors are used well, there are no outside colors (black, carbon, etc.) to muddle the look, and a template that WAS modern and unique and stood out well. As a whole, this was the best-exceuted uniform in the past decade for the Ducks. It is my humble opinion that the Ducks should have never dropped this look, and should have eventually added a yellow helmet to go with this set. The set would have lasted, and if it were around today would still be one of the best uniforms in the nation.

If I were a recruit, I'd want to wear THAT set, not the bowl of carbon and neon radioactive hurl they're wearing now.

See, you CAN be wacky and successfully modern yet still wear school colors. It is possible.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

^^ I agree with everything you said, except for the uniform that is pictured being a good design. That was their worst modern look IMO. The number font is below average at best, the different colored sleeves/side panels look dated after about 4 games, and the shinny reflective design on the shoulders looked like a tacked on after thought.

I actually really like the design they have right now minus the black and carbon. Keep it to green, yellow and white it's in the top 20 (maybe 10, but I'd have to do some research and put together a whole list to be certain) uniforms of college football.

jNTsTyQ.png

^^ I agree with everything you said, except for the uniform that is pictured being a good design. That was their worst modern look IMO. The number font is below average at best, the different colored sleeves/side panels look dated after about 4 games, and the shinny reflective design on the shoulders looked like a tacked on after thought.

I actually really like the design they have right now minus the black and carbon. Keep it to green, yellow and white it's in the top 20 (maybe 10, but I'd have to do some research and put together a whole list to be certain) uniforms of college football.

green helmet-white jersey (green wings/yellow numbers w/green outline)- add yellow pants + crazy yellow green cleat colorway would've been ideal.

new uniform combo with school colors...problem solved.

anyone remember when hawaii was in the sugar bowl a few years ago?..this uniform is almost exactly the same in concept...sliver helmet, all white jersey/pants ...seems like nike just updated that look for the ducks...add some highlighter yellow around the numbers and call it a day.

http://www.life.com/image/79110347

Here is what you can expect to see from Auburn:

3e8201b852.jpg

400cf32d82.jpg

ff44c8bfb8.jpg

They will be in the traditional blue jersey with the BCS patch located on the right of the chest.

Those gloves on the far right are almost an exact ripoff of Nike's gloves last year. And people wonder why Nike dominates all of their competitors.

I've already said that I love the look that Oregon will be wearing, including the color scheme. However out of pure curiosity, I decided to do a quick photoshop of this exact design with traditional school colors. The left two use nothing but green, yellow, and white. The one on the right is the new design for the sake of comparison. Please realize that photoshop isn't a strength of mine and I only spent about 30 minutes on these, but I think they give you the idea.

So. For everyone who is pining for Oregon to use their traditional colors in the "biggest game in school history", does this do it for you?

cb8c4c38.png

Personally, although the green and yellow do look very nice, I am still partial to the new neon. Especially for a game of this magnitude. I don't think I'd want it for a full season and I worry about what it would look like as a primary color (highlighter pants or jersey). But as an accent and change of pace for a HUGE game, I flat out love it. It's hotness.

+5, well said. That's my thought, that you can still be modern and wear school colors. It's been my opinion all along that if Oregon kept the DESIGN but used strictly GREEN, YELLOW, and WHITE, they'd have the best uniforms in college football. Yet, they trot out in what looks like aluminum foil and brite-lite neon..something (can we really call that awful blinding color yellow?). It's not the design that's bad in my opinion, it's the execution. If Utah ever came out with a modern design that was futuristic and unique (more so than what they currently wear I mean), it'd take some time but I could get behind it, as long as it was executed well. However, if they came trotting out in all black or carbon or something, I'd pull my hair out.

It doesn't take carbon-for-carbons-sake, neon-for-neon's sake, or black-for-black's sake to look good. Oregon's true school colors on thier own are a fantastic combo and look great as they are, I don't understand why they feel the need to eliminate them. It makes no sense.

And before anyone throws out the "BUT ITZ NIKE YO!!" card, I get that Oregon is an experiment school and that's okay. But, as in any set of experiments, some can go very wrong, as has happened the past four or five years. They get close, but something always shoots it down in the end. They had something going with this current design, but killed it when they spilled the Carbon everywhere. The Diamond plate unis were actually a good look as a design...problem was diamond plate had nothing to do with Ducks and therefore looked completely out of place.

What kills thier "experiments" the most for me is the fact that, at one point in the past decade, they actually got it right:

Why? Because they are the perfect example of pulling off a modern look while not looking entirely ridiculous. School colors are used well, there are no outside colors (black, carbon, etc.) to muddle the look, and a template that WAS modern and unique and stood out well. As a whole, this was the best-exceuted uniform in the past decade for the Ducks. It is my humble opinion that the Ducks should have never dropped this look, and should have eventually added a yellow helmet to go with this set. The set would have lasted, and if it were around today would still be one of the best uniforms in the nation.

If I were a recruit, I'd want to wear THAT set, not the bowl of carbon and neon radioactive hurl they're wearing now.

See, you CAN be wacky and successfully modern yet still wear school colors. It is possible.

Not. Even. Close.

Not even in the ballpark.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

Not. Even. Close.

Not even in the ballpark.

As I said, it's just my humble opinion. I know it's not a very popular look to many but what I mean is that of all of thier experiments, I personally think this is the best one. You're totally entitled to your opinion, though.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

For those who care, I am being told TCU is not going to wear the uniforms revealed yesterday. They will wear the new shoes, but will be sticking with purple. Possible combos are 2010 rivalry helmet/purple top/2010 rivalry pants, standard home: purple/purple/black or purple/black/purple.

Awesome because that uniform they showed yesterday was hideous.

What's wrong with the TCU Raiders?

Here's what's wrong with either look: Bucky will undoubtedly have the marshmallow look. And regardless of whether you want your team to look like the Michelin Man, they have never won a Rose Bowl in all white. There is right now up to three feet of white around my house. I don't want to see it in Pasadena.

Packers-2.png

Archived