Your own involvement in sports

Alphabet Man

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe...

Here in Romeo (35 miles outside of Detroit) its a big day when you get your Red with white leather sleeves varsity jacket.

We should have a post your varsity jacket thread!

So go start one. Typical liberal. Waiting around for everyone else to do the work for you. :P

BB52Big.jpg

As a child I played just about every sport our town offered. As I got older I narrowed my focus down considerably.

Tee-ball: 3 seasons (age 3 to 5)

5-Pitch Baseball: 5 seasons (age 6 to 10)

Soccer: 1 season

Basketball: 1 season

Hockey: 10 seasons (age 10 to 20); 1 regional championship at the PeeWee level. Consolation Runner Up in the Welland tournament at the Atom level. Still the biggest trophy I ever got. Played Midget AA before moving to Michigan where I joined a Midget BB team. Played drop in and rec league through high school and college.

Curling: JV team prior to moving

Golf: Recreationally since age 8

I'm gonna take the infrared road and brag a little bit if that's ok :P.

Most of my sporting time was devoted to hockey. I come from a hockey family and started playing at three after I pestered my dad long enough to let me play because I was jealous that my older brother played organized and I didn't. Played defense for years growing up for my hometown program. Had a few tryouts for select teams, but hated the atmosphere surrounding those, so never took them up on their offers to play for their teams. I did, however, join one select team each summer from about 2001-2003. Can-Am hockey used to hold this tournament called the "Canada Cup" in Montreal, at a rink that was called, if I remember correctly, Las 4 Glaces. Connecticut, Massachusetts and New York each had one team, while Manitoba and Ontario each had two, and Quebec had three. Basically, was a tournament that last a week; play each team once, then seeded accordingly. I was fortunate enough to make the team for the three years it operated and played with some good talent. Tommy Cross (Bruins prospect), Max Pacioretty (Montreal), Kevin Shattenkirk (Colorado) and Nick Bonino (Anaheim) were some of the players that were on our team for it. We never won the tournament, but it was a blast going. I actually found the program for the 2003 tournament a few weeks ago in my basement and saw some names on rosters that seemed recognizable. Michael Del Zotto (who everyone knew about at that time; he owned the tournament) played for a Quebec team, as did Angelo Esposito and Alex Pietrangelo played on one of the Ontario teams - I'll have to find the program again.

I ended up playing hockey in high school, and unfortunately took quite a tool on my knees. After that, got a few offers from Division III teams - and interest, but not a scholarship offer from one Division I team - but didn't know if I was going to enjoy college, so decided to stick with a closer school that I got accepted to. Unfortunately, they didn't have a team, which is a good thing. I didn't want the stress and "full-time job" feel of an NCAA athlete. The college I most recently transferred to has a club team, so I might try out for that next year if I can get back into shape and my knees allow it. Otherwise, I'm just playing men's leagues and having a great time doing it.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

Played Little League up until I was 15. Never played High School sports, but played football religiously every Friday for my four years in high school.

Now, I mostly manage my cousin's girl's softball team (started in T-ball now I'm in the 10U division), will manage my son in T-ball this spring (C'mon any team but the Red Sox or Yankees!) and have played in a couple of co-ed softball tournaments as an alternate. Girl's softball takes up a lot of my free time, so I don't get out as much as I would like to.

No typical conservative, I came up with a free market idea...

I just need a liberal to mandate it! :P

GO START ONE ALREADY GODDAMN IT! :D

I'd like to. Two problems though...

#1 I don't own a camera to get a pic of mine.

#2 I'm at work still

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

I ended up playing hockey in high school, and unfortunately took quite a tool on my knees.

I didn't start feeling my injuries until I started playing Bantam and Midget. After that it was all downhill. Lower back, knees, neck, and wrists. I sound like a bowl of Rice Krispies in the morning.

I ended up playing hockey in high school, and unfortunately took quite a tool on my knees.

I didn't start feeling my injuries until I started playing Bantam and Midget. After that it was all downhill. Lower back, knees, neck, and wrists. I sound like a bowl of Rice Krispies in the morning.

Same. I didn't suffer any sort of injury during my playing days, but once I started college, I began to feel the damage. My knees were just mangled in high school thanks in part to my style of play and the opposing team not knowing how to hit correctly and trying to blow your knee out.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

Same. I didn't suffer any sort of injury during my playing days, but once I started college, I began to feel the damage. My knees were just mangled in high school thanks in part to my style of play and the opposing team not knowing how to hit correctly and trying to blow your knee out.

Same here. While catching I never had a problem with my knees. I started noticing issues with my knees when I was about 25. The best injury I had was when I took a foul tip right in the adam's apple. We didn't have the extensions to protect the neck on the masks back then. I felt like I had gravel in my throat for quite a while after that one.

BB52Big.jpg

When I was 8, I played mosquito league baseball for one summer: Batting average: .000. OBP: around .500. RBIs: 7. After I figured out how rarely the ball actually crossed even a generous strikezone,I just stopped swinging and started walking. All of my RBIs were off bases-loaded walks and grounders that somehow managed to score runners. One actually scored 2, when the first baseman fielded the ball cleanly to get me out, assumed the play was over, and didn't notice the runner from second rounding third and heading for home. I think the kid's dad was his coach, cuz he sure looked pissed that the kid held the ball for a good 3 or 4 seconds before throwing home.

In high school, I played basketball in Grade 9. I came off the bench in all the games I played in as the back-up PF/C, mostly as a defensive replacement for our mediocre power forward, or if our centre was tired. In the first game I got into, it was against St Catharines Collegiate (a much bigger school than mine, which had a lot of immigrants and stuff. It's the closest thing to inner-city that the Niagara Region has lol), and they had one kid who was apparently only 13 or 14 and straight out of Africa. But he was at least 6'7, and they had him driving the lane whenever possible, and he was giving our team fits. So the 2nd half starts, and I get thrown into the fire defending this guy. At the time, I was 5'10 or 5'11 (3rd tallest on my team). This kid, though, had no idea how to use his size to do anything more than intimidate anyone... so long story short, in the following 6 minutes, I blocked him 11 times, he got ejected for a flagrant foul, and once he was gone, ended up with 10 rebounds and 2 assists. And no points, which would last the entire season. I don't even think I attempted a field goal.

Also in high school, I played intramural ball hockey for 2 years. The first year, our team majorly sucked and I split time with my stepbrother in goal. Our first game went incredibly badly after we got lined up to play against a team that was mainly comprised of guys who played on select teams, Jr B and one guy who ended up captaining the Gatineau Olympiques of the QMJHL. I think we lost like 21-2, and one of our goals came after their goalie came up past halfcourt and ended up scoring on my brother with a slapshot (using a goalie stick). Sooo glad I wasn't in net for that one.

The next year we did a lot better though, and if I rec all correctly, we went 2-2 and missed the playoffs on a tie-breaker. The highlight of that season was actually shutting out a team that had a Jr B player on it. We were grade 11s and they were grade 9s and 10s, but a shutout's a shutout. We had a couple fill-in guys on our team that game, and one of them decided it would be fun to pass the ball directly to an opposing player and let him have a breakaway on me. No dice, glove save. Then, they figured they'd do him another favour, and trip him on a breakaway. So he's coming in on the penalty shot, and actually thinks he can deke me... yeah, not happening... stick-checked him and kept the shutout.

A few guys from the intramural team are actually joining me in February for our first foray into ball hockey since then in a rec league. Should be interesting.

Then in 2008 and half of 2009, I played beer league softball. Mostly, I played at second base and shortstop, and occasionally first base. Pretty good with the glove, tons of speed, but have a wonderful tendency to completely botch simple short throws, which is why I moved to first for a while. The kicker was fielding a grounder to second, scooping it cleanly, and throwing it approximately 18 feet left of the first baseman's glove. On the plus side, I managed to bat almost .700.

CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.pngHamilton Eagles- 2012 and 2013 Continental Hockey League Champions! CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.png

2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 CHL East Division Champions!

Niagara Dragoons- 2012 United League and CCSLC World Series Champions!
2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 UL Robinson Division Champions!

I've played hockey and baseball, both at various levels, since I was little.

I was my high school hockey team's starting goalie in grades 11 and 12, as well as my high school baseball team's third baseman in those same years.

Christ, it's hard to stomach all the exaggeration going in in this thread. I will not talk about any of my accomplishments, but I play baseball for my high school and will be participating in rec. league basketball later this winter. I also play pond hockey quite frequently, but not in a league setting. Mainly as a hobby.

Growing up as a kid I played Little League Baseball, some basketball (though when I was put in a league with 5th graders as a 2nd grader with them all 6 inches taller than me that was the end of that), and took tennis and golf lessons

In high school I played soccer my junior and senior years and all four years I played lacrosse. Soccer was a good fall sport for me and I played forward. I was a pretty rough player, too, mainly because my lack of experience in the sport prior to playing it. Lacrosse was my top sport, though. Although I was a backup attackman, people always noted my hard work ethic and giving it my all. All in all though, lacrosse is a very fun sport to play and even though I didn't get much playing time I loved to play it a lot. I also have one career varsity goal, which thankfully was caught on camera

n583637180_2253726_2224743.jpg Boom rippin' corners :P

Now that I'm in college, I mainly just play sports recreationally. I was on an intramural floor hockey this fall and from time to time I break out the lacrosse stick or baseball mitt or hockey stick or the pigskin and play around a little

oEQ0ySg.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29 // College Crosse: Where I write, chat, and infograph lacrosse

Christ, it's hard to stomach all the exaggeration going in in this thread. I will not talk about any of my accomplishments,

So who's exaggerating? Would you like us to provide stat sheets or something?

My guess is you won't talk about your accomplishments because you don't have any to talk about. And sitting on the bench isn't exactly playing baseball is it? :P

BB52Big.jpg

Christ, it's hard to stomach all the exaggeration going in in this thread. I will not talk about any of my accomplishments, but I play baseball for my high school and will be participating in rec. league basketball later this winter. I also play pond hockey quite frequently, but not in a league setting. Mainly as a hobby.

Well I wasn't going to say this, but you've gone and forced my hand :P

During my grade 12 season we played the best team in our league. They were, at the time, undefeated, stretching back to the entirety of the previous season. Not only did we beat them, but I got the shutout, 2-0. That was the peak of my hockey career :D

Well since you care so much, infrared,

here are my defining moments in specific sports.

Basketball: Scored 19 of our team's 50 points, which was really a lot of points for a team in 6th grade.

Football: Rushed for about a 10 yard touchdown in 6th grade as a running back, it was just 1 of 3 touchdowns our team scored all year.

Baseball: I hit my one and only over the fence home run in my last year of little league.

Bowling: I once bowled a .230-something with bumpers

Dodgeball: In 7th grade I sank a half court shot to free my entire bench. Twice.

Golf: I shot 11 under par on a mini golf course with real greens.

Kickball: In 3rd grade I "invented" the home run. Although I did not lead all recess participants in homers, I was one of the most feared kickers.

Badminton: At my cousin's grad party 2 years ago I beat both of my drunk uncles in a 2 on 1 match.

I know, I know. Sorry to show you guys up, but infrared caused it. B)

Archived