Your own involvement in sports

Alphabet Man

As a young'n, I played soccer, baseball, and basketball. Played baseball until I had to repeat machine pitch, after failing at tryouts for the next level. I felt dumb not being good enough to move up, so I quit baseball. Played soccer for a while, until I really got into basketball. And I quit basketball when I was cut during freshman basketball camp. Based on the team, I was good enough to make the team, but you could tell that the coach had already picked favorites by the 2nd practice. He took his favorite kids to one court and had the rest of us scrimmage and do shooting games on the other court with no coaches.

In high school, I played football all four years, I was on the varsity team for 3 years. I never started on the varsity level though, even though all I did was work harder than any kid on the team all week. I just never grew. I was always trained to be an offensive lineman, but I hit my growth spurts early, so I was passed up. I also never got faster, so I couldn't have moved on to tightend or fullback or anything like that. And of course I could tell I was always being passed over for favorites or for the big members of the booster club. The coaches wouldn't say it, but if you looked at the lineup and compared it to the donor names, it always lined up. My only football glory came in my junior season as the JV went undefeated and took the first outright JV title and first undefeated JV season in the school's history. And on varsity, I got to play a pretty big part in breaking out school's 19-game losing streak my sophomore year. But not an exciting football career.

155720_1571162352627_1042530094_31329261_1235823_n.jpg

Lacrosse was different. Me and my buddies basically started up the lacrosse team. We created the club and organized the members for the very first club lacrosse team my freshman year. I was learning to play goalie, but we had a guy that had played on other club teams and was pretty decent. He quit the day before our very first game, and I never looked back. We had a great struggle with the school board and district board getting lacrosse to be a school sport, and that was a pretty fierce battle between the players/parents and the AD/principal/school board, but we eventually broke through. The team wasn't great, but I progressively got better, and the summer between my junior and senior years I actually got to go back east for a big lacrosse camp back in Massachusetts. They said that I was by far the best west coast goalie they had had at the camp and they said I was the 3rd best goalie overall at the camp. So my confidence and skills went up greatly. We were routinely beaten by 10 goals the first three years, but the fourth year, the group of us that had all began to learn the game finally came together and went 12-7 that senior year. We upset the #10 team in California in overtime, we finished in the top 25 in California, but we missed out on the playoffs because of a weird system. We would have made the playoffs the following year. I was also voted the team MVP for the season, which was the highest sports award I've ever gotten.

68096_1571163472655_1042530094_31329273_6682122_n.jpg

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Played a couple years organized roller hockey, mostly played pickup hockey as a teenager. Good times.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

I once bowled a score of 276.

And that's about the extent of my accomplishment in sports.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Well since you care so much, infrared,

here are my defining moments in specific sports.

Basketball: Scored 19 of our team's 50 points, which was really a lot of points for a team in 6th grade.

Football: Rushed for about a 10 yard touchdown in 6th grade as a running back, it was just 1 of 3 touchdowns our team scored all year.

Baseball: I hit my one and only over the fence home run in my last year of little league.

Bowling: I once bowled a .230-something with bumpers

Dodgeball: In 7th grade I sank a half court shot to free my entire bench. Twice.

Golf: I shot 11 under par on a mini golf course with real greens.

Kickball: In 3rd grade I "invented" the home run. Although I did not lead all recess participants in homers, I was one of the most feared kickers.

Badminton: At my cousin's grad party 2 years ago I beat both of my drunk uncles in a 2 on 1 match.

I know, I know. Sorry to show you guys up, but infrared caused it. B)

I'm awestruck and humbled by your athletic prowess. :P

BB52Big.jpg

Cool thread idea!

Well in high school, I played one year of football my freshman year and never had a set position, being shuffled around between receiver, fullback, and halfback. I was a quarterback through junior high, but the coach at high school flat out told me I was too short at 5'4" and never let me try. I did well wherever I played though, so it went alright.

Come sophomore year, due to financial reasons I had to choose one sport between baseball and football to play. I liked playing baseball more and got along better with the baseball coach than I did with the football coach (who frankly was a total jack-@$$), so baseball was the logical choice for me. It turned out to be a great choice, as I would rack up three letters over the next three years and a "Spirit Player of the Year" award my sophomore year, which was given for on field success and "inspiration", according to my coach. I was also the only switch hitter on the entire team all three years. My career batting average was around .290, I wasn't a great hitter but I was a decent base runner, with 16 steals over three years. I was also a pretty good defensive outfielder with a really good arm, and I had the most fun throwing out baserunners. Altogether, I wasn't

a spectacular player but I tried to get the job done as best as I could.

Aside from that, the LDS Church has church basketball leagues and I often played in those when I could with my ward team. I never really fit though, as I'm very competitive and threw quite a few elbows to say the least. I was always the kid the Bishop talked to after the game saying "I know it's who you are on the court, but remember your in the Lord's house." :P

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

As a kid, I played a bit of Little League. Couldn't hit or field worth a damn, but when I did get on base, I was a stealing machine.

By the time I got to high school, I had given up on baseball. Instead, I ran cross country, track and indoor track all four years. I was captain of each of those teams my senior year, and my friend & I were actually the first two people in our school to earn varsity letters in all 3 of those sports 4 years in a row. My primary events were the 800m, 1600m and the 4x800 relay. I also ran the steeplechase when it was an option and occasionally filled in on our 4x400 team. When I graduated, I held two school records in indoor track, the 4x160 relay and the 1000m. I believe the first one still stands, since we stopped running on 160m tracks after my junior year. The 1000m record fell the year after I graduated.

Indoor track killed my knees, so by the time I got to college I only occasionally ran 5k road races. I did my last one when I was 25.

Once I started working full time, I played softball. I was better known for my drinking and pregame grilling than I was for my playing abilities. But, I've only played one season of softball since moving to NC, so I guess I'm semi-retired for now.

In 2006, I decided to try curling and have been doing that since. I'm actually not too bad. Our club hosts a 24-team tournament each summer and I was on the runner up team in 2008 and then won it in 2009. Those were against some decent out-of-town clubs, too. Picked up a fall league championship last year. This year, I got certified as a Level 1 Instructor. I think I'll stick with it for awhile.

facebook.png twitter.pngblogger.pngflickr-1.jpg

I tried to buy an ABA franchise with boardmembers' money.

You say board members like it was plural. I want my $4 -- and my dream -- back.

I recently ran the Seattle half marathon and will soon begin training for the upcoming full marathon in the summer. If that goes well, I might consider the Portland marathon (or maybe just the half) next fall.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Let's see, starting with my involvement in high school.

Football, I was a four-year member of the team, although I didn't see much varsity time.

Wrestling, I did for two seasons, again, not much varsity time, and only one varsity win on the mat.

Most of my involvement is post-high school, as timekeeper for the alma mater's football and basketball teams, and occasional public address announcer.

LvZYtbZ.png

Umm, I am the starting 3rd baseman for our one of our cities teams, I wrestle for my middle school, (Last tournament took fourth out of 16, with a 12 second pin.) I play basketball for my middle school. I volunteer for the NAU Equipment room but have passed the test needed to become an equipment man. I help with NAU's Quarterbacks and Kickers, by catching punts, passes and kicks. And thats it really.

I've played a ton of different sports over the years, but my athletic career, as far as any chance of moving on to college was ruined by a foot injury in high school. After recovering, I've recreationally played hockey (didn't take it up until I was ~ 20 years old), softball, learned to curl, played golf and decided to start training with the intent of competing in a sprint length triathlon next summer.

I keep involved in sports by broadcasting the local high school games on the radio, and I have a coaches show for Bemidji State Univ. hockey. I also helped coach my daughter's softball team last summer, and I've turned the corner from a participant to focusing on her athletic career (and she does a ton of stuff: softball, volleyball, golf, basketball and shooting sports - air rifle and pistol plus archery with 4H)

Let's see, starting with my involvement in high school.

Football, I was a four-year member of the team, although I didn't see much varsity time.

Wrestling, I did for two seasons, again, not much varsity time, and only one varsity win on the mat.

Most of my involvement is post-high school, as timekeeper for the alma mater's football and basketball teams, and occasional public address announcer.

I think I'd pay money to hear that. So do you say the same type of idiotic :censored: there that you do here?

BB52Big.jpg

I played football in High School (quit after my junior year to concentrate on baseball) I played baseball all the way through High School.

My claim to fame (so to speak) is I took Adam Wainwright deep twice in one game. We grew up in the same city and went to different High Schools and we played with and against each other all through little league and High School. I had hit homers off him before but that was my only two-homer game ever.

I have played Aussie Rules (AFL) for about 30 years represented South Eastern Melbourne until Under 18's, Cricket, Junior Basketball, Rugby Union for three seasons and Grid Iron for a few seasons in Victoria for the Croydon Rangers (Dallas colours similar) and Queensland for the Bayside Ravens (Similar to Baltimore)Tho they played in the Cleveland area, could have been the Browns?

Now i am a President of the local Boxing Club, and a coach at the local soccer club.

TEAMSsmall.png

RICHMOND TIGERS

My main sport through high school was football. I played center even though I was about 5'11", 165 lbs. my senior year. Junior year, I didn't see one play on varsity. Then senior year I ended up starting all 9 games at center. Despite being smaller than everyone I blocked, I was pretty good. Oh, and I won the sportsmanship award sophomore and junior year.

My junior year, I also did track. I threw shot and wasn't very good. I never took last, but was pretty much always in the lower half of the meet. The only reason I threw was because all the linemen that I lifted with threw shot. Since they didn't lift with the football team after school, I joined track to be able to lift with them then.

My only sports involvement I have now is intramural sports. I played flag football which I don't like at all because of all the non-contact rules.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

I played Little league since I was 5 and football in 8th grade. I played Rec Roller Hockey and Ice Hockey for about 3 years around Junior high and a bit in High school. Ran Track in Junior High (shot put, disc, some running events) and ran cross country my 8th grade year to get in shape for football.

I played football and baseball in High School. Started most my Junior year on varsity and all of senior year in football (offensive line) and was a 3 year starter in baseball (catcher) with a few games started as a freshman. Small school but pretty good football school (won 45 straight regular season games, Semi-Finals my senior year). I was a better baseball player as I was All-Area honorable mention and 1st team all conference.

Played (well practiced) 2 years of each at the D3 level in college. Never played varsity in either but did dress for one away game in football. (everyone dressed for home games) DOMINATED scout team! haha

Now I play softball 2 nights a week during the summer and play indoor soccer as a goalie, playing soccer competitively for the first time in my life. Just got my first session under my belt. I've had 2 shutouts, a 1 goal game, but I've also allowed over 10 goals about 4 times. I love it and we might play outdoor this summer. A 250lbs goalie...I can't see myself but I'm sure its quite entertaining!

Plus I work in sports every day as a graphic designer.

I play football (soccer) at the lowest level possible probably anywhere in the world. I'm also the club president.

I've had a go at coaching but I lack a bit of playing experience having started playing too late in life. I'll stick to being an administrator/social hack I reckon!

liverpool-1.png

I played little league baseball from the ages of 7-15. In high school, I played baseball for my Junior and Senior years as the starting 2nd Baseman and No. 3 pitcher in the rotation. Total junkballer since I couldn't touch 70 on the gun. Our home field was the former stadium of the Class-A St. Catharines Blue Jays, same diamond Vernon Wells, Michael Young and Carlos Delgado, among others, played on!

That was the last of my competitive sporting (I'm now 24). I now play on my church's co-ed softball team (which is a total hoot), Golf about 20 times a year (wish I could afford to do it more!), and hit the tennis courts occasionally.

Oh yes, I had a letterman's jacket and I'm not going to apologize, that thing was awesome. Crazy warm too.

I had one too in the late 1990s are those thing out of style now?

I wouldn't say so, they were big in my high school (I graduated in 06) and everyone on the hockey team had one, but occasionally people will tell me that they hated the jocks in their varsity jackets without knowing that I was one of those jocks with the varsity jacket.

Ah the people that were jealous of you!

No. I think they just hated him on principal. It probably had something to do with that "some losers only had one sport" comment. :D (Just kidding McCarthy)

On varsity jackets, our TV station does a lot of high school sports and we're around the students a lot but I don't recall seeing more than maybe one or two jackets in the three years we've been doing games. The team we cover is in a suburb of Cleveland. However, I live in a rural part of Ohio and out this way I see a lot of varsity jackets. I'm wondering if it's just a big city/small town thing. The city kids don't wear them but the small town kids do.

I live in an suburb of Los Angeles and my high school that I recently graduated from (2010), still gives out letterman's jackets to its varsity athletes. That doesn't mean they all wear them necessarily, but I still saw some wear them. Mainly, wrestling and football.

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

Archived