Sorry But I Have To Vent...

gregchait

Strnage thing... I never noticed that on the box the Lite-Brites came in, the kid is pictured, trying to replicate the Chris Creamer logo in Lite-Brite...

lite-brite-CC.jpg

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Let me begin by saying, this is the best message board on the planet.

I love visiting every day.

But one thing that I cannot stand, is when a newbie comes along and decides to do a concept for every single pro sports franchise in Microsoft Paint.

I am not a world class graphic artist by any means. I've gotten compliments on some of my concepts, while I've had others slammed.

But seriously... if you are reading this and you are one of those people that puts up 8 concepts a day and you can't even do a wordmark legibly... please... stop.

I hope this post isn't too negative, maybe some others out there feel the way that I do?

grc

wow i cant believe i never saw this thread before...

i use paint for 99.9% of my concepts

after about my secon day, they have all been clean and clear

so much can be done in paint, just look at all the concepts in the outdated website from my signature or i would be glad to show anyone all of my more current concepts in photobucket

i cannot do a wordmark, but thats why I dont design wordmarks

signature.gif

Strnage thing... I never noticed that on the box the Lite-Brites came in, the kid is pictured, trying to replicate the Chris Creamer logo in Lite-Brite...

lite-brite-CC.jpg

DO MY AVATAR!! DO MINE!!! PLEASE!!! PRETTY PRETTY PLEASE!!! :D

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

Boy, this thread took a left turn at joel_fiasco. :rolleyes:

realclearpolitics.com

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire."

- Robert A. Heinlein

LOL! I can't believe that is so FUNNY!

Seriously, I'm a newbie, and I haven't contributed anything...yet.

"I better go take a long walk off a short pier or something."

Some people on this bolard have told me to do just that.

My "Ron Mexico" alias is "Jon Tobago".

paynomind... LOL... yeesh, you had me laughing so much everyone in the office was looking at me... damn nosy office folks... got me good.... lol... though i think you had the "slow" version of lite-brite if they were that large... the "duplo" of lite-brite if you will

GDB... Brothers from other Mothers

www.pifflespodcast.com

Roger,

Here ya go...

But no more requests! That ploppy is too hard to do a bunch of those!

roger-time.gif

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

I agree with winters in buffalo & vicfurth on this one.  If anything, the true gold of this site lay's within the new members concept drawings.  You'll learn in time that this board promotes amatuer designers and their growth.

And to think... bs & I have rarely agreed on anything .

Nothing says consensus like that.

I agree too! Yay me and BS!

twitter_zps93c9c8f9.png @josh_j12 smbelt_zps438edf04.png

CFA- Fargo Bobcats

One of the things that makes this place so great is that newbies CAN post crude designs, get suggestions, develop thier skills, etc... Sometimes a series of bad designs will spark something that they can work with and build from.

Agree.

By the way - Lite Brite's rule!!! We had two (6 kids in my family- tough to share)

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

i just have to say is that we were ALL, every single one of us, new members to this board and that this community usually goes out of its way to make new people feel welcome.

NO ONE should be discouraged from posting whatever concept they have, whether it be done in illustrator, corel draw, ms paint, powerpoint, wordart, pencil, crayon, lite brite, etch-a-sketch, whatever. we all share a singular passion. that's why we are here, to help, critique, lend a hand, share our knowledge, put pukey smilies in our posts, what have you.....

to say that someone shouldn't post a design because their work is too crude is very poor form and really shouldn't have a place here. i've seen amazing teamwork here between designers with less skill, but great vision, working with designers with more skill and the results are fantastic for the most part.

to new members, just know that there are people here that are willing to help, support, tutor, and walk you through to help you become a better designer. don't be afraid to ask, this is usually a very selfless forum, usually all anyone asks for their help is a simple 'thanks'.

i would never want to see this community become an exclusionary place, don't be afraid to post your concepts. at the very least, i'll look at them.

Well put joel--and great picture there MoJoTo--the silent one...

I have posted a few things--most done in Paint, but some turned ut okay--some of it is experience too...

I have only posted non Paint images when it's been screen shots (Madden--although saving into JPEG or Gif can distort them) or I've had access to a non paint program--in my case while I would love to have Illustrator or Corel Draw or whatever, it's not financially feasible...

Even if I was better at making these images I'm not going to make a living doing them, and the extra expense of owning any of these program is not realistic --at leats at this time, and I will not download illegal copies of them either...

I find it refreshing to see images from the barely legible to the near perfect...

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

oh lite-bright, my first drawing board. anyone who missed out on one of these units had a deprived childhood.

I don't see anything wrong with using MS Paint to make concepts. I use it all the time, despite the fact I have Illustrator and Photoshop. I just find it easier to manipulate data in it, and then touch it up, get rid of the pixely look in the Adobe.

Where paint falls sort is changing formats. GIFS look super craperific when you save it, and JPEGs? lets not go there. I use MGI photsuite or Photoshop to convert images.

Try heading to download.com and search for image editors. you should find a free version of some program to use, even if you don't use it to edit images, to convert images and reduce distortion.

and don't fear posting your things on the board becasue you don't feel up to the skill of some of the designers here. Everyone starts somewhere, and we don't bite...most of us...the more concepts that are posted, and the more ideas that are expresed the richer the community is

Actually I have had some good comments on a few of the things I've posted...

But I would echo your encouragement to all--who knows where a hidden talennt lies (or is that lays?)

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Aah... Lite-Brite. What memories. I remember that I was always losing the pegs in our shag carpeting. Later, I'd hear them rattling around in the vacuum as my mother cleaned the house.

I think that most of us over 25 have that EXACT same childhood memory!

I actually did use a Lite-Brite to make my first concepts! A Lite-Brite and piece of clear plexiglas made a great tracing table.

facebook.png twitter.pngblogger.pngflickr-1.jpg

Archived