Updated Starbucks Logo

stumpygremlin

I don't know if anyone has thought of this yet, but maybe they're considering a slightly new direction? For example, we all know coffee is their main enterprise. They also have a few pastries, sandwiches, salads, etc. I know this is probably not what's happening, but let's look at this hypothetically. Could it be possible that they're looking to do more than just coffee? Like, maybe they could be gearing themselves towards an Einstein Bagels kind of atmosphere? Where coffee is the primary product for which they're known for, but could expand their menu as far as food goes. Breakfast, lunch, dinner. They could be re-branding their image for something bigger. Or we could avoid reading this massive post of garble and just accept that they just decided to update the logo.

NYCFC - MLS CUP CHAMPIONS - 2021

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Like seriously, Starbucks, the design you want is staring you in the face!

LMStarbies.png

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

I don't know if anyone has thought of this yet, but maybe they're considering a slightly new direction? For example, we all know coffee is their main enterprise. They also have a few pastries, sandwiches, salads, etc. I know this is probably not what's happening, but let's look at this hypothetically. Could it be possible that they're looking to do more than just coffee? Like, maybe they could be gearing themselves towards an Einstein Bagels kind of atmosphere? Where coffee is the primary product for which they're known for, but could expand their menu as far as food goes. Breakfast, lunch, dinner. They could be re-branding their image for something bigger. Or we could avoid reading this massive post of garble and just accept that they just decided to update the logo.

no i think thats exactly whats going on. they're expanding and like a lot of companies have gotten to a point where they're dropping the name because they can like Nike or Apple. still, i dont think its entirely necessary in their case

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

From a design standpoint, I'm going a little crazy looking at non-concentric circles. There's the outer circle of the logo itself, but there's an inner circle (the top of which is the bottom of the crown) that my eyes just can't get away from.

I'm a little frustrated by the lack of lettering, but that's less about design and more of a political annoyance and concern about newspeak.

If it's a downgrade at all it's a minor one. On the other hand, I don't think it's any better either. Call it a push.

Every Fifth Day is a

HappyFelixDay.gif

I think it's a big mistake, taking the starbucks name from the logo, the Siren really isn't recognised by a wide range of the customer base, though I do actually like the simplified version.

Wrote more about it on my blog if you want to check it out: http://www.sdxmedia.com/blog/108-new-starbucks-logo.htmll

This is what they should have done.

starbucks-logo-by-sdx-media.png

logo.png

I think it's a big mistake, taking the starbucks name from the logo, the Siren really isn't recognised by a wide range of the customer base, though I do actually like the simplified version.

Wrote more about it on my blog if you want to check it out: http://www.sdxmedia.com/blog/108-new-starbucks-logo.htmll

This is what they should have done.

Bottom looks unfinished now.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

You guys are acting as if they're removing that big STARBUCKS COFFEE wordmark from the front of the stores. They aren't, this is replacing the general circular logo that appears on the cups and in conjunction with the wordmark.

Like it was mentioned above, they're going after the younger set with this, who will see the green mermaid and think "COFFEE" in the same way that Canadians do when they see the Tim Hortons wordmark, or anyone else thinks about burgers when they see the arches, etc. They don't care about the half of the population that doesn't recognize the logo as it is, they're thinking about the future.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

I don't like it because the black and green looked great together, now it's just an single colored logo that looks cheap. It also feels unfinished, but that feeling will fade over time, we are just used to looking at the whole thing.

Edit:

If done better (bad PS skills) I would have liked it better this way: Keep the mermaid background black and keep the green as well.

starbucksl.jpg

Interesting. I think the stand alone, one color icon looks more premium than the mark with the text.

I don't think the mermaid/siren outside of the circle is embedded enough in popular culture for people to instantly recognize it. Without the text, half of the population probably won't know what the heck it is.

As I said before, I don't think they care about that half of the population who won't recognize it. If you're already a Starbucks drinker, you will recognize it, and if you're not already a Starbucks drinker, then they figure you'll never be a Starbucks drinker at this point, so why bother? But, if you are a child, they figure you will learn what that green mermaid stands for and you will recognize it as the symbol of coffee for as long as you live.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

5a106e41fe954581999566a4293ced89.jpg

Brilliant. It manages to pull of a two colour pallet well and uses what has become an iconic image in, well, an iconic manner. Well done.

I would wager that they could simplify the logo even more by getting rid of the mermaid's fins, and replacing them with two stars. If I feel like waiting for photoshop to load, I'll half-ass something up PDQ.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

• 1 year later...

I still like the vintage feel the old seal with the lettering had, but they definitely chose the right direction if they wanted to go a more 2012 direction, and they nailed it with the design of the rest of the stuff to match. It all works very well together.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Archived