Rams fire equipment manager

Blue Falcon

I heard he complained when they told him they were going to put the franchise tag on him, so instead of trying to deal him they just let him go.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I heard he complained when they told him they were going to put the franchise tag on him, so instead of trying to deal him they just let him go.

But wouldn't he have had to waive his no-movement clause?

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12, POTD 2/26/17

Might have done something worth being fired...but from the way the story sounds, the Rams look like insensitive a-holes on this one.

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

Well, this is going to get the Old Guard guys off of your back Spags. :rolleyes:

Honestly, though, I don't really see why the team would make this move.

Sacking the strength coach, yeah, I could see that though...

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

This screams long term employee who thought he was above being fired. Maybe he was always negative towards the team? Maybe he felt entitled all these years because of his Dad, but he really sucked at his job?

OR, the Rams have cemented themselves as a colossal douche bag organization.

Seriously though - is it possible that an "old timer" just might not be up on all of the new emerging equipment technologies, or have the knowledge (or desire to learn) about things like the new helmets? I don't really know what an equip manager does, but I've read all of the Joe Skiba (sp?) interviews on UW, and it seems like they really need to know their stuff.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Seriously though - is it possible that an "old timer" just might not be up on all of the new emerging equipment technologies, or have the knowledge (or desire to learn) about things like the new helmets? I don't really know what an equip manager does, but I've read all of the Joe Skiba (sp?) interviews on UW, and it seems like they really need to know their stuff.

It's possible, but "equipment" hasn't been that notable a problem and the Rams didn't seem to have an abnormal rate of players breaking their skulls this season. Or slip-sliding on the field turf.

At least when they fired the longtime head strength and conditioning guy last season, that was a necessary call. The Rams had just gone through their 3rd season where injuries took out something like a third of the roster for extended periods AND had both Pig Flu and Staph outbreaks in the training facility. There wasn't something that dramatic this season.

And no, it wasn't about violating the "warrior code" by trapping the gunner or something either. This is an organization that has wavered between inept and ok, not great on kick coverage for the last decade. I'm pretty sure they aren't cheating there.

/No meta dude, the rant was a one-time thing and I was going to run one of those win or lose Saturday (granted the "win" version would have been directed at Seattle.)

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I may be in the minority, but he probably had to go. While he will try to sue for age discrimination, the fact that he took over from his father does not make his Rams employment a birthright. Football is generally seen as a meritocracy and one earns their job. It is apparent to Spagnuolo that he cannot do the job properly. He as well as others who may have had such authority talked to HR on what was necessary to do the job. Old man is just as upset that he can no longer get kickbacks from Ridell for putting rookies in their helmets since they are the only shell with a NFL sponsorship.

A lot of time, these long time equipment managers are just figure heads who don't do nearly as much as their assistants. This could be a way to save some money and acknowledge who does the actual work for the organization.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is also a matter of the new regime wanting someone new in the position.

Very possible. The Penguins fired the long time and highly respected Steve Latin when the Ray Shero regime took over. Perhap's it's just a sign of the times or increased media attention, but new equipment manager Dana Hienze seems to really have his stuff together.

4114313717_ee13929eec_o.png

I wouldn't be surprised if this is also a matter of the new regime wanting someone new in the position.

Which regime? Ownership? This was the GM/Personnel God's 3rd year and the Coach's 2nd.

Today, we are all otaku.

Both, perhaps. But, I would be willing to guess it was Spags that wanted a new equipment guy. Many head coaches prefer having an equipment manager that worked with them at a previous stop. I wouldn't rule out the new Rams head guy being a former assistant EM with the Giants.

Both, perhaps. But, I would be willing to guess it was Spags that wanted a new equipment guy. Many head coaches prefer having an equipment manager that worked with them at a previous stop. I wouldn't rule out the new Rams head guy being a former assistant EM with the Giants.

I doubt the equipment manager position had anything to do with the "regime" or anything of the sort. I think this was more than likely a case of an employee getting canned for doing poorly, or not doing enough. Like someone else stated, maybe he sat around and let the assistant do everything? Hard for us to say.

Archived