NHL 2011-2012: Possible Uniform Changes

uah8tr

Kinda makes me wish that the went with being just a black and white team. For 20 year, black was the main color and blue was just the accent. You can't have a more boring color combo than just black and white, but I believe this new look would've been 100x better, that was the case.

A little off topic, but I totally disagree. These unis are badass:

mark-buehrle-cnn.jpg

No, I agree. I'm just saying a team really has to know how to pull it off. The White Sox did a good job with it.

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Black, silver, and electric blue can be a neat color combination. Just look at the Carolina Panthers. Unfortunately, Steve Yzerman must merely pretend he runs the Red Wings until Ken Holland retires, so here we are.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Using the Detroit Lions as an antecedent for like 20% of the league is quite a leap, and your hypothesis fails to mention the one team that did gank the Lions wholesale, that being native Detroiter Ralph Wilson's Buffalo Bills.

lol at the Yzerman buttmonkeys like GFB not only praising the great Blue Wings but saying that average schmucks like us couldn't do better than this paint-bucket slopjob. These blow hard.

Yeah, as one of the few "designers" on these boards to actually brand a professional hockey team, I'm sure I have no clue what I am talking about.

:rolleyes:

By your own admission, your assessment of the rebrand is informed more by your Red Wing fanboyism than it is any sort of design sense, so put your dick away.

You honestly don't believe I can separate my "fanboyism" from the aesthetic value of a design?

New Logo > Old Logo

New Template > Old Template

Old Colors > New Colors

And I wasn't saying that all the NFL teams drew inspiration off the Lions, I was just tracing the silver helmet/blue jersey back to its roots. When the Seahawks came into the league, how am I supposed to know who they drew inspiration off of. Perhaps they liked the Oilers old jerseys, or perhaps it was the Cowboys home uniforms.

And I wasn't saying that all the NFL teams drew inspiration off the Lions, I was just tracing the silver helmet/blue jersey back to its roots. When the Seahawks came into the league, how am I supposed to know who they drew inspiration off of. Perhaps they liked the Oilers old jerseys, or perhaps it was the Cowboys home uniforms.

With those examples, however, each new team did something different with the look that the Lions pioneered. The Lightning haven't done that. They've just taken a colour scheme that's been associated with a franchise for close to a century.

It would be like the Hurricanes ditching the black and silver and the hurricane warning flag pattern and then adopting a new striping pattern that's close to, but not quite, Detroit's.

The Hurricanes actually were dressed in all red to fulfill Karmanos's (another Detroit product) dream of owning the Red Wings. Sort of like all the teams that are bought by New Yorkers and curiously take to royal blue.

I'm undecided on these new Lightning uniforms. I mean, I like it in the sense that they're trying to go with a more classy, sleak look. But, this is extremely radical and bland. The logo jhans said, has a super hero sort of quality to it and the logo itself if used for a considerable amount of time could become quite iconic. But, the problem I'm seeing here is that what others have said. And that is that if this team had used these uniforms and emblems at any time in previous club history, I'd be A-ok with it. But, to do this now, 20 years later is an extreme change. Especially since the uniform is a hybrid of the Maple Leafs and Red Wings with a Blue Jackets third uniform feel. I guess only time will tell if these will stand that test of time. But, all I can say is that I'm undecided as to whether I like these or not. Don't get me wrong, I want to like them for the kinda of old time hockey appearance it portrays. But, this might have been a step too far.

NYCFC - MLS CUP CHAMPIONS - 2021

With those examples, however, each new team did something different with the look that the Lions pioneered. The Lightning haven't done that. They've just taken a colour scheme that's been associated with a franchise for close to a century.

It would be like the Hurricanes ditching the black and silver and the hurricane warning flag pattern and then adopting a new striping pattern that's close to, but not quite, Detroit's.

I understand your point. And if it were up to me, I would have probably gone in another direction for the colors if I was responsible for the branding. However, to say that this is not a better all-around identity (logos, uniforms, colors, the whole package together, etc) for the Lightning would be incorrect IMO...

They don't get to be Old Time Hockey; they're the Tampa Bay Lightning. That's the fundamental problem here. Don't give me this crap about how the noble Steve Yzerman has ventured to deepest, darkest Florida to civilize the locals and teach them to respect themselves by taking after Saint James of Norris. They look just like the most popular hockey team in the world and they're not! You can't do that!

I understand your point. And if it were up to me, I would have probably gone in another direction for the colors if I was responsible for the branding. However, to say that this is not a better all-around identity (logos, uniforms, colors, the whole package together, etc) for the Lightning would be incorrect IMO...

The problem is that the Lightning do not exist in a bubble. No team does. When redesigning your logos/identity you have to be aware of what the other teams in your league are wearing so that you don't ape their style. Drawing on a team with a richer history for influence is one thing. Outright steeling their colour scheme (Maple Leafs) and striping (Red Wings) something else all together.

It's kind of hard to say they've stolen a color scheme when it's as simple as plain blue and white. Same goes for striping. For one, the Wings' striping is different (the sleeves stay the same for both white and red jerseys), and more to the point these are as plain as can be. If it weren't for the fact that Stevie Y's down there, nobody would point to Detroit as the inspiration because thousands of hockey teams have worn this basic design throughout the years.

With all that said, these uniforms suck!

It's kind of hard to say they've stolen a color scheme when it's as simple as plain blue and white.

It's easy to say they've stolen the Leafs' scheme when the Leafs were the only team to ever wear the colour scheme for 84 years straight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzes12YwaTA

That wordmark on the away is really bothering me. Its really cluttering up the "classic look" they tried to come up with and throws off the uniformity of the set. Esoecially when you notice that the logo has been shrunk to accommodate it.

These uniforms are bland and boring, TB is not an old school hockey team, going for a retro old-timey look with a two tone colour shceme is a sad attempt to be something they are not.

Oh wow, NHL Uniforms has already updated their site, good job!

Archived