NHL 2011-2012: Possible Uniform Changes

uah8tr

I don't see what's not to like...

Maybe the fact that it's yet another symbol of how uniform design is regressing instead of progressing?

To be fair progress did give us these....

stlouisblueswr6xu5.jpg

....so maybe it's not always a good thing :P

The Lightning's Leafs/Wings lovechild unis still suck though.

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love them.

I wasn't a fan of our current set, now THOSE seemed bland to me. These remind me more of the Nordiques than the Leafs.

Simple striping pattern? Check.

Blue and white colour scheme (with very similar if not the exact same blue)? Check.

Colour-reversed logo on road whites? Check.

Lace-ups? Check.

Blue collar on white and white collar on blue? Check.

It's the Leafs' look.

People overreacting though really confuses me. It's not like they unveiled the Fisherman or Buffaslug.

No, but they stole a colour scheme from a team that had a monopoly on it for eighty-six years and a striping pattern from one of, if not the, most famous hockey teams in the world.

or even worse, the new scourge of "we've never had a simple, classic look, so let's just make one out of thin air."

Since when are "simple" and "classic" bad words in the design world? That's what every good designer strives for.

Would you rather have "convoluted and out-of-date-in-5-years"?

or even worse, the new scourge of "we've never had a simple, classic look, so let's just make one out of thin air."

Since when are "simple" and "classic" bad words in the design world? That's what every good designer strives for.

Normally I love simple and classic stuff. This though? It's not original in any conceivable fashion, stealing design elements from two of the more storied franchises in the league.

The last time a team dropped a black, blue, white and siver color scheme for a blue and white one was the Orlando Magic. It didn't last long before people started complaining about the boringness and the over simplicity of it all. Soon after, their color scheme and look were rightfully brought back. Let's hope the Lightning do the same.

At least, they are keeping the Bolts 3rd jersey. Or are they?

I am just curious why they are unveiling the jerseys and logos in the middle of the season? Has this happened before? I vaguely remember the Cavs doing it in 2003 a couple games before the end of the year.

They've had the new stuff ready to go for a few months now, and they realized that the longer they kept it under wraps the greater the chance someone will leak it. So they decided to just release them now. Of course they've killed all potential merchandise sales for the rest of the season, but eh. They'll survive.

This is a shame. There are parts of this new package that have the beginning of something nice, but in the end it all just seems like simplicity for simplicity's sake. The Bolts' current color scheme is so nice (black, blue, and silver work beautifully together, imo) and completely appropriate for the nickname "Lightning." The new look is just flat. I'm fine with going with a more traditional striping pattern and tweaking the bolt logo (I love the much more dynamic oval). But when you eliminate both black and silver, you lose so much potential for a more active design.

Think about it: the only possible color interaction here is blue meets white. If they had kept the other colors, we could see thin black/thin silver/thick blue/thin silver/thin black striping. Or something with more dynamic interactions than simply white touches blue. Or they could still have gone with simple, thick, one-colored stripes while using black and silver outlines in the type (and a custom font with some character) to create a more interesting, and a unique, set of numerals. And some silver and black in that new logo could make it much more flashy. Right now, it looks like it was stamped or spray-painted on.

Again, what a shame. We could have had a nice update that addressed the cookie-cutter edge look while still using classic stripes and keeping the Lightning's unique color scheme and style. Instead we get a forced, boring love child of the Wings and Leafs.

EDIT: I just realized that they also lost the Victory Stripes and the bolt on the pants, two elements that were unique to the Lightning and had a long, well-established history. Ugh.

What he said.

SigReflect.png

Black, silver, and electric blue can be a neat color combination. Just look at the Carolina Panthers. Unfortunately, Steve Yzerman must merely pretend he runs the Red Wings until Ken Holland retires, so here we are.

Did the Lightning change their color scheme in their history? People always mention them as "electric blue" and this color is clearly royal blue. I thought I remembered them having a lighter blue years ago.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Black, silver, and electric blue can be a neat color combination. Just look at the Carolina Panthers. Unfortunately, Steve Yzerman must merely pretend he runs the Red Wings until Ken Holland retires, so here we are.

Did the Lightning change their color scheme in their history? People always mention them as "electric blue" and this color is clearly royal blue. I thought I remembered them having a lighter blue years ago.

It seems from looking at nhluniforms.com, they darkened the blue when they switched to the block number font (in 2001, I think). I'm not certain, though.

To be fair progress did give us these....

stlouisblueswr6xu5.jpg

....so maybe it's not always a good thing :P

I'll take those any day over a unoriginal, faux-classic, stolen-from-several-other-teams debacle like the Lightning's new set.

It's a wash, really :P

Ok, I'll attempt to evaluate the Lightning's new set without the "YOU STOLE OUR LOOK" rage.

-The primary's a case of close but no cigar. Make the whole circle an equal width and have it connect to the bolt on both sides.

-The alternate is another lame "stick your primary in a circle" attempt. At least this time it's confined to the shoulders.

-The "TAMPA BAY" on the road whites really pull the whole road look down. Even just the primary logo as is would be a marked improvement.

-The loss of the victory stripes doesn't bother me. I could go either way on those. The loss of the lightning bolts on the side of the pants does bother me, however. That was a clever take on the pants stripe idea. A simple white bolt on the blue pants would have looked sharp here.

Some promising elements here that needed to be refined one or two more times.

People overreacting though really confuses me. It's not like they unveiled the Fisherman or Buffaslug.

Agreed. I'm okay with the new Lightning look (not exactly a fan, though. The whole "ripping off the Red Wings look & managing to look like the Leafs" deal was a miss, but the logos are a definite upgrade.), but this visceral reaction is kind of overboard. Seriously, all we need is a picture of the Buffaslug hacking out the new Lightning logo & you'll have a similar reaction to what happened when the Buffaslug and/or OKC identity was released. If anything, the logos get a thumbs up, but the new uniforms are "Meh."

However, what's below these words...

If they want a classic look while emulating the Wings, but have all the colors in the team, would this work?

168929_10150089023336032_693636031_6491880_101709_n.jpg

...would've been a HUGE upgrade as far as the uniforms are concerned. Not a fan of the crest, but it looks more like the Lightning than what they unveiled today, which looks like the result of if Toronto & Detroit mated.

It seems from looking at nhluniforms.com, they darkened the blue when they switched to the block number font (in 2001, I think). I'm not certain, though.

It was darkened, yeah. I was just postulating that the Bolts could do well by switching to the same blue as the Carolina Panthers.

I just remembered that the Predators are switching to Maple Leafs ripoffs full time next year, too. Original Six design is permeating NASCAR Country.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Plus I just really friggin' love 1-colour + White uniforms. (Wings, Leafs, Jets, Colts, Celtics come to mind.)

Really? They're my worst nightmare.

Perhaps you could analyze the different whites across the league? =)

Screenshot2011-01-31at122744PM.png

Can't believe no one else mentioned this, but what's going on with the white jersey here? It looks like their are blue side panels and a double blue stripe on the left arm. I'm guessing it's just weird shadows, but something doesn't look quite right.

Archived