NHL 2011-2012: Possible Uniform Changes

uah8tr

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a shame. There are parts of this new package that have the beginning of something nice, but in the end it all just seems like simplicity for simplicity's sake. The Bolts' current color scheme is so nice (black, blue, and silver work beautifully together, imo) and completely appropriate for the nickname "Lightning." The new look is just flat. I'm fine with going with a more traditional striping pattern and tweaking the bolt logo (I love the much more dynamic oval). But when you eliminate both black and silver, you lose so much potential for a more active design.

Think about it: the only possible color interaction here is blue meets white. If they had kept the other colors, we could see thin black/thin silver/thick blue/thin silver/thin black striping. Or something with more dynamic interactions than simply white touches blue. Or they could still have gone with simple, thick, one-colored stripes while using black and silver outlines in the type (and a custom font with some character) to create a more interesting, and a unique, set of numerals. And some silver and black in that new logo could make it much more flashy. Right now, it looks like it was stamped or spray-painted on.

Again, what a shame. We could have had a nice update that addressed the cookie-cutter edge look while still using classic stripes and keeping the Lightning's unique color scheme and style. Instead we get a forced, boring love child of the Wings and Leafs.

EDIT: I just realized that they also lost the Victory Stripes and the bolt on the pants, two elements that were unique to the Lightning and had a long, well-established history. Ugh.

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

I don't see what's not to like...

Superior logo.

Better looking jersey design.

Removal of unnecessary clutter.

Looks like a nice, clean hockey sweater to me. Miles better than anything they've had in their history...

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

So... my question is, why are they unveiling this now? They're not switching jerseys mid-season, are they? Why not wait until after the season and give SME a longer timetable to come up with something better?

So... my question is, why are they unveiling this now? They're not switching jerseys mid-season, are they? Why not wait until after the season and give SME a longer timetable to come up with something better?

They said that they're unveiling this now because it's been around too long to stay a secret much longer. Rather than chance it getting leaked, they decided to unveil it now.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

I have no problem with teams sharing colour schemes as long as they each have their own distinctive look. When teams have more than two colours it gives them a lot more options in terms of how the jersey will look. The Habs and Rangers have been using the same colour scheme for almost 100 years but they have managed to create their own identities by emphasizing different colours. Tampa wanted to design a traditional jersey using just blue and white, so there really was no way for them to not resemble the Leafs a little. Maybe I am a little biased (check out my sig and avatar if you can't figure out why) but I think the Lightning look better in black than in blue. I would've rather seen them just keep black and white instead of blue and white. That's a look that I would like to see a pro team try and pull off. The elements of the uniforms that I am the most upset about are the removal of the bolt on the pants and the victory stripes. These were examples of actual tradition, they are tied in to the franchise's history including it's only Stanley Cup. Next thing you know Yzerman is going to try and convince fans to throw octopi on the ice during the playoffs.

I have to be honest, I actually really like Tampa Bay's new identity. I may be in the minority, but I think these are pretty good. I do wish that there was some black as well as some consistency between the home and road crests, but those are minor nitpicks to me. The updated logo is really neat, definetely a nice change. I'm not saying they're the best uniforms in hockey now by any means, but they really aren't that bad at all. I'd give it a B+.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

Those are horrible, boring pieces of crap. I've just about had it with the creativity-free trend of "let's go back to our boring, wallpaper-esque old uniforms from the '60s" or even worse, the new scourge of "we've never had a simple, classic look, so let's just make one out of thin air."

Let's be honest now. Aside from the logos, which are actually pretty sharp, those uniforms look like it took two seconds to fill in a basic template and then they were satisfied. What happened to pushing boundaries and actually trying to be unique in uniform design? I just don't understand the appeal of looking like everybody else.

Furthermore, ironically, in trying to emulate tradition, the Lightning have junked their only traditions. What happened to the victory stripes and the bolts on the pants? Those would have livened up this dull look a tad.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

I think the part I hate the most is the loss of tradition. It seems like Stevie Y and whoever else is responsible for this just said, "Hey Lightning, :censored: whatever you had, we are starting over." Tradition, though not long, has been lost. The only thing that represents the old Tampa Bay Lightning is the lightning bolt on the crest. This is not the Lightning. If I were a Bolts fan, I would be pissed.

Those are horrible, boring pieces of crap. I've just about had it with the creativity-free trend of "let's go back to our boring, wallpaper-esque old uniforms from the '60s" or even worse, the new scourge of "we've never had a simple, classic look, so let's just make one out of thin air."

Let's be honest now. Aside from the logos, which are actually pretty sharp, those uniforms look like it took two seconds to fill in a basic template and then they were satisfied. What happened to pushing boundaries and actually trying to be unique in uniform design? I just don't understand the appeal of looking like everybody else.

Furthermore, ironically, in trying to emulate tradition, the Lightning have junked their only traditions. What happened to the victory stripes and the bolts on the pants? Those would have livened up this dull look a tad.

Though for different reasons, we agree.

I don't see what's not to like...

Superior logo.

Better looking jersey design.

Removal of unnecessary clutter.

Looks like a nice, clean hockey sweater to me. Miles better than anything they've had in their history...

They've aped the Leafs' colours that they've had a monopoly on for eighty-six years and the Wings' striping pattern of seventy-nine years. Sure, in a bubble these aren't that bad. As part of the greater NHL, however? They're blatantly copying elements used by teams that have been around longer.

Archived