2011-2012 NCAA Football Uniform Thread

Lights Out

Lets just admit what this is Lights Out. You're looking for a justification for wacky designs that "push the envelope." If you can argue that new crazy designs increase recruits you'll be able to prove you're tastes are measurably "better" then those old traditionalists who just like to pretend how "above it all" they are, eh? ;)

Not really. If I cared that much what people thought about my tastes in uniforms, I'd have left these forums a long time ago.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lets just admit what this is Lights Out. You're looking for a justification for wacky designs that "push the envelope." If you can argue that new crazy designs increase recruits you'll be able to prove you're tastes are measurably "better" then those old traditionalists who just like to pretend how "above it all" they are, eh? ;)

Not really. If I cared that much what people thought about my tastes in uniforms, I'd have left these forums a long time ago.

If only

Spurs2017_HomeSignature.png.d781df3b4d5c0e482d74d6a47c072475.pngDortmund2017_HomeSignature.png.277fd43b7b71e5d54e4c655f30c9a1e6.png

1) As was pointed out, Perdue isn't exactly a recruitment machine.

Well, the quote said that Purdue began showing the uniforms at the end of the 2010 season, so there's really not much to go by in terms of recruiting success. Now I'm going to throw a little support for the side of uniforms working for recruitment. People say Texas, Alabama, Penn State, etc. get good recruits and they don't have the flashy uniforms. But their uniforms do have an appeal. A high school kid will see them and know that that team has had plenty of success wearing these traditional uniforms. The prestige speaks for itself. A school without any real history of success can't use a traditional uniform to draw a kid. And high school kids do notice. I think a lot of people against the idea that uniforms help in recruiting would be surprised at how much kids actually pay attention to this stuff. They don't sit down and analyze (or even notice) every change like we do, but they know when a team rolls something out for a big event. During the Virginia Tech-Boise State game, most of the posts on Facebook that night were about the uniforms. And I'd guess if you polled high school football teams on their favorite college uniform, most would have Oregon winning. I'm not saying that having a crazy uniform is going to land a huge recruit, but I do think a lot of people underestimate how much attention these uniforms get.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

I don't know that they ever even held the ball to begin with, Flame. :P

Well done :P

Though I thought what Arkansas State wore for the last three or so years was pretty good. It was modern but not obnoxious.

http://img834.imageshack.us/img834/206/lkchhjdbmdduqje20081028.jpg

http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/6984/arkansasstatefootballpl.jpg

http://img641.imageshack.us/img641/1482/armkvbsmwjjvsgm20090927.jpg

http://img853.imageshack.us/img853/1376/dhlzjfqnrgukrye20071125.jpg

According to the Uniwatch Blog today, Pitt is getting new uniforms next year. A player said something to the effect of "we're going to look like Oregon" with all of the different color combinations.

http://www.thefightingwannstaches.com/blog/2011/02/cam-saddler-says-new-uniforms/

Most likely, their primary uniforms won't change (at least, I HOPE they don't), but they'll probably mix up their combos more, and get a more "out there" rivalry Pro Combat design to, um, rival that of their coalmime-swathed Backyard Brawl nemesis, West Virginia.

(Although suddenly the idea of a legitimate black-and-yellow PITT uniform somehow seeing the light of day strikes me as a very real possibility...)

From what I heard ,that there is no radical change, the primary's will remain the same yibbit,yibbit,yibbit....remain the same. He is talking about is the offense that they will be running from the pro style offense to the gimmick stuff we see in today's college football, the only uni change we will see is the pro-combat maybe the black and yellow will break out or the old pitt script. I think their current unis are very classy. That will piss off the alumni and fanbase if they get ducky with it.

tigersallstars092.png

steelcurtain.png

According to the Uniwatch Blog today, Pitt is getting new uniforms next year. A player said something to the effect of "we're going to look like Oregon" with all of the different color combinations.

http://www.thefightingwannstaches.com/blog/2011/02/cam-saddler-says-new-uniforms/

Most likely, their primary uniforms won't change (at least, I HOPE they don't), but they'll probably mix up their combos more, and get a more "out there" rivalry Pro Combat design to, um, rival that of their coalmime-swathed Backyard Brawl nemesis, West Virginia.

(Although suddenly the idea of a legitimate black-and-yellow PITT uniform somehow seeing the light of day strikes me as a very real possibility...)

From what I heard ,that there is no radical change, the primary's will remain the same yibbit,yibbit,yibbit....remain the same. He is talking about is the offense that they will be running from the pro style offense to the gimmick stuff we see in today's college football, the only uni change we will see is the pro-combat maybe the black and yellow will break out or the old pitt script. I think their current unis are very classy. That will piss off the alumni and fanbase if they get ducky with it.

Here's the Pitt player's quote again:

"Y?all gonna be excited when we step on the field, and y?all see them Pitt Panthers runnin? out and we gonna be out there like Oregon runnin? around with all these different colors on and all that.?

Not sure how "all these different colors" = gadget plays/hurry up offense. Pitt was already running a pro-style offense, right?

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

"Y?all gonna be excited when we step on the field, and y?all see them Pitt Panthers runnin? out and we gonna be out there like Oregon runnin? around with all these different colors on and all that.?

Not sure how "all these different colors" = gadget plays/hurry up offense. Pitt was already running a pro-style offense, right?

That Pittsburgh education is going to good use, I see.

Sorry, I should have clarified it a little clearer. they will be running a new offensive system than the conservative crap that they were running more up tempo, more spread formations and minus the fullback and tight end at times. getting back to the uni topic, they are not changing the unis

tigersallstars092.png

steelcurtain.png

Sorry, I should have clarified it a little clearer. they will be running a new offensive system than the conservative crap that they were running more up tempo, more spread formations and minus the fullback and tight end at times. getting back to the uni topic, they are not changing the unis

So why did he mention they'll be running around in a whole bunch of colors?

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

So why did he mention they'll be running around in a whole bunch of colors?

Actually they'll just be using the University of Hawai'i's Rainbow Warrior uniforms from the 80's.

I really liked Pitt's uniforms from the past two years.

I didn't. Pitt isn't Notre Dame or Navy, so why should they try to look like them? Their previous two sets were far superior.

With the ugly metal panther? Or the pointy shoulder things? No thanks.

I really wish they'd go back to their old colors but what they've got now is much better than their previous navy and old gold sets.

Another history question: when did Notre Dame start wearing the uniforms with TV numbers? I know it was some time after Holtz left.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Another history question: when did Notre Dame start wearing the uniforms with TV numbers? I know it was some time after Holtz left.

When Wies got there. They took them back off this year.

Thank you.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Archived