Domestic Soccer 2011

Don

So the play-ins were strictly Vancouver-Mtl on aggregate and Edmonton-Toronto on aggregate? That seems dumb to me, then again, I'm not a die-hard follower.

Yeah man.

See, because this is the first year in this format and Edmonton is an expansion team they seeded Edmonton at #4.

TFC won it last year so they got Edmonton, and Vancouver and Montreal were left in the "2 v 3" spot.

Next year we should see the tourney winner vs Edmonton (as Edmonton didn't score a goal at all so they become rated 4th, leaving Montreal 3rd) and the loser of the final gets Montreal.

As for not going with a round robin or something to that effect (which is something I've heard complaints about) the idea is to keep the tourney short and have less travel, with the idea being that the teams will have less match congestion.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's how it was done in the past when there was just Vancouver, Montreal and, Toronto.

Prior to TFC they actually just gave the cup to the D-2 team from Canada with the best record during the regular season.

I was ok with it going this way this season and the truth is, the likelihood of Montreal and Edmonton advancing were small. May as well get it done with nice and quick.

With that said, Montreal's coming to MLS next season. The fact is they will probably become a better squad with roster additions from the drafts and overseas signings. The CSA should encourage a round robin type tourney again next year. I wouldn't mind to see a D-3 play-in tourney too for 1 D-3 team to get in this tourney.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

It was announced today that the Home Depot Center will be the host of the 2011 MLS Cup Final on November 20. This marks the fourth time (2003, 2004, and 2008) that the sports complex in Carson, CA has been selected to host the Final since it opened in 2003.

It was announced today that the Home Depot Center will be the host of the 2011 MLS Cup Final on November 20. This marks the fourth time (2003, 2004, and 2008) that the sports complex in Carson, CA has been selected to host the Final since it opened in 2003.

I just dont understand why they dont pick RFK anymore.

I kid.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

2007 isn't all that long ago. I went to that game, and it was quite entertaining.

I was also at the 2008 Final at the HDC, which was also fun. I would like to see more variety in hosts, though.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Why can't we see a game in Commerce City or in Sandy or something like that?

LvZYtbZ.png

I was sure that Portland was gonna get it this year. Newish stadium, great fans, seems like the perfect fit.

Livestrong Sporting Park sounds like a good venue for it too. I guess they want guaranteed good weather for a November final.

"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

I kid.

Hey, I like RFK. :P

6fQjS3M.png

I kid.

Hey, I like RFK. :P

I like RFK too, its a dump, but its OUR dump.

This has been discussed on the Vikings stadium thread, but their owner Zygi Wilf has revived talk of bringing an MLS club to the proposed new stadium in Arden Hills, Minnesota just north of the Twin Cities. (He first started talking MLS several years ago in connection to his first stadium proposal in Blaine a couple miles to the north, but that proposal went nowhere and the MLS idea went on the back burner until now.)

I decided last year that between the Twin Cities and Milwaukee, whichever market got an MLS club first would instantly become "my" team. Before today I always figured it would be Milwaukee though.

Polaris FC, anyone? (a nod to the departed North Stars)

CCSLC signature.png

Upon reading the article in Viper's post, it implies that the earliest year that an expansion club could be placed in the Minneapolis area is 2015. If all goes according to plan by 2013, which is when the twentieth club is placed in New York City; then there would be a two year hiatus on expansion which is a sufficient time frame to improve the quality of play and officiating in the League. However, with various metropolitan areas expressing interest in joining MLS, e.g. Atlanta, Cleveland (!), Detroit, Miami, Minneapolis, and Phoenix to name a few; the bigger question is if MLS has the resources (talent, money, sponsorship, stadia, etc.) in place to make that leap and become a sustainable league when the talent pool becomes heavily diluted from overly expanding too fast, just like their predecessor, the North American Soccer League of the late 1960s to mid 1980s.

Upon reading the article in Viper's post, it implies that the earliest year that an expansion club could be placed in the Minneapolis area is 2015. If all goes according to plan by 2013, which is when the twentieth club is placed in New York City; then there would be a two year hiatus on expansion which is a sufficient time frame to improve the quality of play and officiating in the League. However, with various metropolitan areas expressing interest in joining MLS, e.g. Atlanta, Cleveland (!), Detroit, Miami, Minneapolis, and Phoenix to name a few; the bigger question is if MLS has the resources (talent, money, sponsorship, stadia, etc.) in place to make that leap and become a sustainable league when the talent pool becomes heavily diluted from overly expanding too fast, just like their predecessor, the North American Soccer League of the late 1960s to mid 1980s.

I'm very concerned that MLS is growing too much and the talent pool is not catching up.

Yes, Soccer is a global sport and all around the world people are playing, so you can pull players from all over, I get that.

But at some point too many teams will either a) wipe out the 2nd teir because all those players end up in MLS or B) the expansion of the league to more than 20 teams will cause a period of time where the quality of soccer is horrible while we wait for the talent pool to catch up.

The rivalries are beginning to heat up in MLS. First there's this in DALLAS:

Cropped.jpg

Then Chivas USA put up a billboard of their own promoting the SuperClasico later this month. This led to LA Galaxy fans countering with this.

Good to see some spice being added into the mix lately!

I love it!

I recall that Portland had a billboard in Seattle earlier this year (maybe late 2010) too. It's great stuff.

I really hope TFC does something like this next year when Montreal gets set to enter MLS.

Maybe they can use this as insperation? (minus the f bomb of course)

Archived