Domestic Soccer 2011

Don

^^^^

Why reward a team that goes great guns in the first half of the season to potentially suck it up in the second half?

If they suck in the second half then they won't win the big prize.

But I see the issue that you are bringing up, it's a flaw in soccer scheduling all over. I mean, look at the Crew, in the semi-finals of the CONCACAF Champion's league and the team was ripped apart in the off season.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I mean, look at the Crew, in the semi-finals of the CONCACAF Champion's league

The quarterfinals... unless you've been to the future.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded |Β Behance portfolio

Β 

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

I have, lol.

No, that was just my mistake, unless the Crew wins tonight, then I was just predicting. :)

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

RSL move into CCL semis with 4-1 win over Crew.

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,Β Β (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

I have, lol.

No, that was just my mistake, unless the Crew wins tonight, then I was just predicting. :)

Nice "mistake" Nostradamus. :P

I have, lol.

Nice "mistake" Nostradamus. :P

ha ha ha.

thanks.

What MLS should do is expand the conference finals to a two game series. However instead of the two round series being aggregate score, make it a "best of" with the high seed having the advantage. Meaning the higher seed only has to win 1 of the games to advance where the lower seed has to win both games. The first game would be played at the higher seed home and if the lower seed wins then they would get home field for the decisive game 2. This format would also be applied to the current 2-match quarterfinal.

You are only adding 1-2 games to the playoffs. Every game would still be an elimination game and have that dramatics, but it would now be a "series" making it more likely the top seeds advance. It would make regular season fight for position more important because the higher you finish the more advantageous it is. If you finish 1st or 2nd you only have to win 3 games for MLS Cup. If you barely get in then you have to win 6 games for the Cup. Every two positions on the table would have more a reward.

Also if you are going with a double round robin schedule go with a "single table" with the format above. Also make the Supporters Shield a trophy to add incentive to finishing first.

2011 MLS Predictions:

East:

1. Chicago
  2. Houston
  3. D.C. United
  4. Red Bull New York
  5. Philadelphia
  6. Toronto FC
  7. Sporting Kansas City
  8. Columbus
  9. New England

West:

1. Los Angeles
  2. Seattle Sounders FC
  3. Real Salt Lake
  4. Chivas USA
  5. Colorado
  6. San Jose
  7. FC Dallas
  8. Vancouver
  9. Portland

2011 MLS Playoffs:

Wildcard Round:

#10 Colorado over #7 Red Bull New York

#8 Philadelphia over #9 Chivas USA

Conference Semifinals:

East:

#8 Philadelphia over #1 Chicago

#2 Houston over #3 D.C. United

West:

#1 Los Angeles over #10 Colorado

#3 Real Salt Lake over #2 Seattle

Conference Final:

East:

#8 Philadelphia over #2 Houston

West:

#3 Real Salt Lake over #1 Los Angeles

MLS Cup Final:

#3 Real Salt Lake over #8 Philadelphia

What MLS should do is expand the conference finals to a two game series. However instead of the two round series being aggregate score, make it a "best of" with the high seed having the advantage. Meaning the higher seed only has to win 1 of the games to advance where the lower seed has to win both games. The first game would be played at the higher seed home and if the lower seed wins then they would get home field for the decisive game 2. This format would also be applied to the current 2-match quarterfinal.

That's... uh.... different.

*considers*

No sir, I don't like it. Two-game, total-goal series for both rounds works for me.

Also make the Supporters Shield a trophy to add incentive to finishing first.

The Supporters Shield is a trophy; I've seen it in person, even.

3055076506_548853e89b.jpg

It also currently comes with a CONCACAF Champions League berth.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded |Β Behance portfolio

Β 

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

I'll be watching tonight after the Caps game. I'll also be at the DC United/Crew Season Opener this Saturday! My 2nd United match and I'm sitting (standing) with the District Ultras! This oughta be a helluva time.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

I watched the season kick off last night and was reminded why the league continues to showcase Seattle's fans. Their supporters are through the roof awesome. I don't think their was a quiet second throughout the whole game. Though, there was a moment early in the first half when Donovan took a hard knee in the ribs from Kasey Keller as picked a high ball out of the air. The crowd booed hard at Donovan for staying down, which I thought was really lame. For one thing, the guy is a national soccer hero who deserves better. For another, I just HATE when people boo injured players in any sport. It's one thing if a guy takes an obvious dive to milk time off the clock, but this was a big collision and Donovan was perfectly justified in staying down.

I saw an ESPN interview with Don Garber in which he was asked what the NFL lockout means for MLS. He was obviously trying to give the diplomatic answer that the league doesn't wish ill on anyone else, but you just tell he wants to find a way to capitalize on it. Who knows? This may just mean more time for MLS highlights on Sportscenter.

Β 

Β 

sticksstones4.png

The world's foremost practitioners of professional tag-team wrestling.

Β 

Β 

I watched the season kick off last night and was reminded why the league continues to showcase Seattle's fans. Their supporters are through the roof awesome. I don't think their was a quiet second throughout the whole game. Though, there was a moment early in the first half when Donovan took a hard knee in the ribs from Kasey Keller as picked a high ball out of the air. The crowd booed hard at Donovan for staying down, which I thought was really lame. For one thing, the guy is a national soccer hero who deserves better. For another, I just HATE when people boo injured players in any sport. It's one thing if a guy takes an obvious dive to milk time off the clock, but this was a big collision and Donovan was perfectly justified in staying down.

I saw an ESPN interview with Don Garber in which he was asked what the NFL lockout means for MLS. He was obviously trying to give the diplomatic answer that the league doesn't wish ill on anyone else, but you just tell he wants to find a way to capitalize on it. Who knows? This may just mean more time for MLS highlights on Sportscenter.

I hope so, Shmee. There's a lot more soccer fans in this country than most people (care to) realize. Now would be a good time for them, and the team, to get themselves out there.

I also caught that LA/Seattle tilt. Good gosh...can you say FESTIVE? Right now I'm trying to plan a trip up to the Seattle area in May, and one of my main objectives is to somehow score a ticket to one of their games. (And a Mariners game, just 'cause.) I just wanna see what that environment is like in person.

(And I think I'll keep it to myself that I been pledged allegiance to the Union...or maybe not, just to see what the Sounders' fans might say. Hee hee hee...)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || BehanceΒ ||

Damn I wish Seattle would get rid of that plastic crap they play on, they might be worth watching then. With the constant rain they get it makes it nearly unwatchable.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

That's... uh.... different.

*considers*

No sir, I don't like it. Two-game, total-goal series for both rounds works for me.

Also make the Supporters Shield a trophy to add incentive to finishing first.

The Supporters Shield is a trophy; I've seen it in person, even.

3055076506_548853e89b.jpg

It also currently comes with a CONCACAF Champions League berth.

It isn't that different, it is basically taking a best of three except you are automatically crediting the better seed with a 1-0 lead in the series. The whole point is to make better the incentives of finishing position. It is clear that just having home field probably isn't enough of an incentive. So this takes it to another level where you take that extra game in a best of series and give that win to the higher seed. Problem for the league right now is it would seem is the goal is to just get in the top 6 (or top 3 in the conference) and get the bye to the quarters. And falling short that finish in the top 10. I don't see Concacaf Champions League as being a big incentive. It seems more like it is viewed as a hassle for some of these teams. It isn't going to be a big deal if the games in that competition itself are being held in front of crowds of friends and family (compared to regular league games). Same thing with US Open Cup qualification. MLS has to come up with its own incentives.

Two-game aggregate goal is a good format for an unseeded knockout tournament where you are trying to reduce any advantage a team might get. It isn't a good format for a seeded tournament based on season.

My ideal you mean greater reward for basically every two positions in the standings. You are either fighting to move up to the next level or rewards or fighting to stay in the current levels. Add to that another idea of mine where you have an NBA style lottery for the top pick, but the bottom two or 3 teams are excluded from it (to sort of make up for no relegation) and you go from a season format which can be a drag at times, to a season where virtually every game will have more meaning. My playoff idea is outside the box a bit, but perhaps MLS needs t think outside the box.

As for the Supporters Shield. I mean actually call it a trophy, and make it physically big. Almost as big as the MLS Cup. It is all about branding and saying winning this is a big deal. That thing right now looks like on of the NFL conference trophies.

Toronto FC and Vancouver Whitecaps are just about at halftime, and it has been a barnburner so far. And Empire Field is just as loud and crazy as BMO Field.

Archived