Domestic Soccer 2011

Don

Revs seemed as likely a landing spot as any to me, though I won't pretend I'm happy to see him go there. I don't think it's a great fit for him and I feel bad that he's going to play in front of 10k fans in a football stadium. I know Seattle is playing in a football stadium too, but it's much more intimate and they're getting 30k+ people in there. If Benny stays with Revs and isn't just there as trade bait, maybe he can help them attract more people and finally get out of that stadium.

sticksstones4.png

The world's foremost practitioners of professional tag-team wrestling.

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tonight's the night like Betty Wright: Leg 1 of the 2010-11 CONCACAF Champions League Final emanates from Rio Tinto @ Salt Lake. 8:00 PM MDT. RSL's chance for continental dominance starts tonight against Monterrey, & if they're gonna make their move at any time during the finals, it'll be in the place where they haven't lost in over a year. It starts tonight in Monterrey. Whoops. :P I'm on some Phil Collins "I've been waiting for this moment, for all of my life (as a soccer fan)" :censored: for this one. Aw man, I can't wait.

Revs seemed as likely a landing spot as any to me, though I won't pretend I'm happy to see him go there. I don't think it's a great fit for him and I feel bad that he's going to play in front of 10k fans in a football stadium. I know Seattle is playing in a football stadium too, but it's much more intimate and they're getting 30k+ people in there. If Benny stays with Revs and isn't just there as trade bait, maybe he can help them attract more people and finally get out of that stadium.

Where do you think he'd fit ideally?

I haven't spoke up on this one yet cause I can't decide. I don't know if Seattle has room under the cap for him, I'm certain LA and NY don't.

I wouldn't mind to see him in a TFC uniform, but that's the supporter in me speaking, not necessarily the move that makes the most sense.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

Monterrey 2-2 RSL after the 1st leg. HUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE result here for RSL, getting a draw & scoring was basically the #2 best case scenario outside of outright winning since away goals count in this part of the tournament.

So now RSL pretty much has a golden chance to capture the gold next Wednesday at Rio Tinto, in what is definitely gonna be the toughest test they've had in that stadium since their streak began. I already can't wait for next Wednesday.

Just got home from the TFC/Crew game.

Very back and forth not exactly exciting but an interesting note is that Tony Tchani got himself a yellow card when he and a Crew play (couldn't quite tell who it was from my seats) got into a pushing match.

Tony followed it up with a goal and jumped over the ad. boards to celebrate in front of the North End Elite supporter's section. Naturally, he received a 2nd yellow for unsporting behavior and was sent off.

All in all, a very conservative game with some questionable non calls on both side of the ball.

Then I come home to see the Whitecaps vs FC Dallas game on tv, and holy :censored:! It's half time now, and all I can say is "holy :censored: the pace is amazing!"

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

Leg two is starting at Rio Tinto Stadium. All RSL needs is a win or a draw at 0-0 or 1-1 and the title is theirs, and they earn a trip to Japan in December.

And they failed. Major disappointment.

Leg two is starting at Rio Tinto Stadium. All RSL needs is a win or a draw at 0-0 or 1-1 and the title is theirs, and they earn a trip to Japan in December.

And they failed. Major disappointment.

It's really too bad. I wanted this so badly for MLS.

On the flip side the Canadian Championship started last night, which is qualifying for the CONCACAF Champion's league for the sole Canadian spot. TFC downed FC Edmonton 3 nil and Vancouver Whitecaps downed Montreal Impact 1 nil.

Last night was a huge disappointment. If anybody in this competition seemed like a lock to close out at home, it was RSL. Saborio & Espindola disappeared completely, IMO. That being said, other than the shameful timewasting from Monterrey (that started at around the 60th minute. <_< I can understand you wanting to kill time, but when you're getting yellow card after yellow card for just falling on the ground, that is terrible.), Monterrey deserved the win. If a Mexican team can go into that type environment at that altitude and win, then you gotta give em all the credit in the world.

Still, sad to see RSL come so close only to fail at the least likely point. Hopefully this won't be the last time an MLS club gets this far.

Last night was a huge disappointment. If anybody in this competition seemed like a lock to close out at home, it was RSL. Saborio & Espindola disappeared completely, IMO. That being said, other than the shameful timewasting from Monterrey (that started at around the 60th minute. <_< I can understand you wanting to kill time, but when you're getting yellow card after yellow card for just falling on the ground, that is terrible.), Monterrey deserved the win. If a Mexican team can go into that type environment at that altitude and win, then you gotta give em all the credit in the world.

Still, sad to see RSL come so close only to fail at the least likely point. Hopefully this won't be the last time an MLS club gets this far.

But at the same time, I'm not surprised that they can go at altitude and win - more than half the Mexican league is at altitudes higher than RSL's stadium.

Also, big blow for the Colorado Rapids, as it was announced that Brian Mullan will be suspended for a total of 10 games for his reckless tackle against Seattle's Steve Zakuani. And yet there are some that think he got off easy. I think in Europe he'd get three games, tops.

LvZYtbZ.png

But at the same time, I'm not surprised that they can go at altitude and win - more than half the Mexican league is at altitudes higher than RSL's stadium.

Also, big blow for the Colorado Rapids, as it was announced that Brian Mullan will be suspended for a total of 10 games for his reckless tackle against Seattle's Steve Zakuani. And yet there are some that think he got off easy. I think in Europe he'd get three games, tops.

brian_mullan.jpg

OUCH! :blink:

I saw, I came, I left.

Quick heads-up for any NASL fans on the boards: Every game will be streamed. Every one. Yeah, it may be on Ustream, but it's still live soccer just in case you can't make it down to the park to support your local club.

Normally the league updates this page with links.

Speaking of NASL, the newly-revived Atlanta Silverbacks finally picked up a point on the season, drawing 1-1 with FC Tampa Bay. This is after going 0-0-3 on a season-opening homestand. Looks like it's gonna be a wacky season.

EDIT:

At around :55 (or the 11 minute mark in the actual game), Seattle fans pay tribute to Zakuani. Gave me goosebumps just listening to it on the radio.

Quick heads-up for any NASL fans on the boards: Every game will be streamed. Every one. Yeah, it may be on Ustream, but it's still live soccer just in case you can't make it down to the park to support your local club.

Normally the league updates this page with links.

Awesome! Thanks for posting that.

EDIT:

At around :55 (or the 11 minute mark in the actual game), Seattle fans pay tribute to Zakuani. Gave me goosebumps just listening to it on the radio.

Class.

I admire the fans in Seattle so much.

Friday (& sometimes Saturday) Nights are now Soccer Night in America

JP Dellacamera has the play-by-play, with former MLS standout Kyle Martino handling analysis in the booth and Brian Dunseth contributing sideline reports.

This inaugural ?Soccer Night? falls in one of FOX Soccer?s 20 exclusive MLS broadcast programming windows. All remaining Friday and Saturday night MLS games on FOX Soccer will be broadcast under the ?Soccer Night in America? banner.

They picked a pretty good game to debut it, Timbers (who seem to be freakin unbeatable at home & the exact opposite away from Jeld-Wen) vs. Philly.

I like this if only because they nailed down a somewhat concrete time to have their game of the week, unlike ESPN who (despite doing a great job w/ presentation, IMO) will have the Game of the Week on all seven days of the week throughout of the season.

TFC to take on Vancouver in the finals.

Nothing too surprising there.

So the play-ins were strictly Vancouver-Mtl on aggregate and Edmonton-Toronto on aggregate? That seems dumb to me, then again, I'm not a die-hard follower.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

So the play-ins were strictly Vancouver-Mtl on aggregate and Edmonton-Toronto on aggregate? That seems dumb to me, then again, I'm not a die-hard follower.

Yeah, that's what they were. 2 vs 3 from last year and 1 vs not playing from last year.

Crew have been off a surprisingly decent start to the year considering what they lost.

6fQjS3M.png

Archived