Domestic Soccer 2011

Don

Watching the game tonight, it felt like the Timbers are the Red Sox to the Sounders' Yankees. Neither team is especially old, but they both have proud, vocal fan bases. The Sounders are a bit more staid, while the Timbers are rowdier. It's a near dynamic and I can't wait to see MLS games between those two and the Whitecaps. Should be our own little slice of hooliganism at home.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Timbers Army is no joke. With the way that stadium is built, it's conditioned to provide a real atmosphere that feels like something that's not typical. I love that they're finally in the league.

Watching the game tonight, it felt like the Timbers are the Red Sox to the Sounders' Yankees. Neither team is especially old, but they both have proud, vocal fan bases. The Sounders are a bit more staid, while the Timbers are rowdier. It's a near dynamic and I can't wait to see MLS games between those two and the Whitecaps. Should be our own little slice of hooliganism at home.

Well to be fair, those three teams have been duking it out in the minors for years and are NASL rivals. So they're not Red Sox/Yankees old, but the rivalries do span decades and their fan bases have cultivated over that time. It's why it sort of worked well for bringing clubs up that have built-in fan bases rather than creating expansion clubs with no local ties to anything. In that sense, MLS did a good job with their expansion targets.

NCFA-FCS/CBB: Minnesota A&M | RANZBA (OOTP): Auckland Warriors | USA: Front Range United | IFA: Toverit Helsinki | FOBL: Kentucky Juggernaut

Minnesota A&M 2012 National Champions 2013 National Finalist, 2014 National Semi-finals 2012, 2013, 2014 Big 4 Conference Champions

Ummm...so they slice off a piece of wood from a log for every Timbers goal, which is done by a guy named "Timber Joey"???

That is so awesome. I'm a Fire fan but that is just so weird and cool.

I managed to make t through the whole game last night, and I've got to give it up to Portland for everything on display.

The stadium looks awesome and is completely unique in MLS. I was worried that the holdover shape from when it was a baseball stadium would make it awkward, but the stands envelope the field perfectly. The stacked luxury suites look really cool, too. It's amazing what they did to turn PGE Park into Jeld-Wen Field.

Little needs to be said about Timbers Army. How do you do justice to those incredible fans? They provided an amazing atmosphere for the game, from the national anthem to the constant singing, chanting, and chearing. What a crowd. Oh, and Timber Joey is awesome. Hearing the chainsaws get fired up on set pieces made me want to see the Timbers score on each one. I wonder what's going to happen to those log cuts?

Unfortunately, there was more terrible officiating last night. The Timbers' first goal should have been counted, and they missed a handball on a goal later on. That falls on US Soccer's shoulders, though. MLS is just playing the hand they're dealt.

sticksstones4.png

The world's foremost practitioners of professional tag-team wrestling.

Watching the game tonight, it felt like the Timbers are the Red Sox to the Sounders' Yankees.

Except, unlike the Sounders (and Yankees and Red Sox), the Timbers fans aren't as bandwagon. When I went to USL-1 games in the Northwest in 2007, there were 10k on a Thursday night at PGE for the Timbers and 3k on a Saturday night at Qwest for the Sounders.

I appreciate the enthusiasm from the Sounders fans, but where were they before?

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Watching the game tonight, it felt like the Timbers are the Red Sox to the Sounders' Yankees.

Except, unlike the Sounders (and Yankees and Red Sox), the Timbers fans aren't as bandwagon. When I went to USL-1 games in the Northwest in 2007, there were 10k on a Thursday night at PGE for the Timbers and 3k on a Saturday night at Qwest for the Sounders.

I appreciate the enthusiasm from the Sounders fans, but where were they before?

Exactly. The same can be said for Toronto FC fans. After dealing with years of 1,000 fans at Centennial Stadium for the Lynx, its great to see 19,000 at BMO for TFC, but some of them think their God's gift to Canadian soccer.

1zqy8ok.gif

Attended last night's game from the press box and it was everything it was advertised to be and more. I've supported the club since I moved here three years ago and often sit with the Timbers Army, and would have last night had I not been working. It was truly a spectacle.

I wonder what's going to happen to those log cuts?

I read somewhere that after the fans get done murdering each other just to touch it passing it around, they give it to the goalscorer as a keepsake. That is awesome. Portland really showed out last night, huh.

To paraphrase Jon Landau, circa May of 1974...

"I saw my soccer past flash before my eyes. I saw something else: I saw Major League Soccer's future and its name is Portland Timbers."

Absolutely amazing atmosphere in Portland last night. Every franchise in Major League Soccer - and every supporter of a Major League Soccer side - should aspire to that level of passion, commitment and follow-through when it comes to cementing their team's place - and, by extension, pro soccer's place - in the hierarchy of North American professional sports.

Well done!

Benny Feilhaber is coming back to the MLS! Wherever he goes, my MLS allegiance follows.

Unfortunately, Chivas has the first crack at him. Be careful what you promise, because you just may end up being the only Chivas USA fan in the country.

After Chivas, Union has the next opportunity. That would be a much better situation for both you and Benny, though they may not want to mess with what is currently a good thing. After Union it goes through the Revs and Dynamo, both of which could be likely landing spots. Houston would be a great destination for him, and it would help with their push to fill their new stadium next year.

sticksstones4.png

The world's foremost practitioners of professional tag-team wrestling.

Benny Feilhaber is coming back to the MLS! Wherever he goes, my MLS allegiance follows.

Unfortunately, Chivas has the first crack at him. Be careful what you promise, because you just may end up being the only Chivas USA fan in the country.

After Chivas, Union has the next opportunity. That would be a much better situation for both you and Benny, though they may not want to mess with what is currently a good thing. After Union it goes through the Revs and Dynamo, both of which could be likely landing spots. Houston would be a great destination for him, and it would help with their push to fill their new stadium next year.

He also has a huge price tag at 300K on the hook for his MLS team. I think Chivas passes on him honestly, Union might as well. He could easily land in Houston.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

I see this hasn't been posted yet:

TFC to invest 17.5 million

Toronto is going hardcore to make a serious youth development complex and turn TFC academy from simply a tier 3 team to an actual academy starting at the U11 age group (with plans to work down to 6 year olds) all the way up to the TFC reserves.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

I think you are missing the point... this is not an optional allegiance. Benny Feilhaber is my favorite footballer in the world. :D

Personally, I'm hoping for Union, Dynamo, or Seattle.

Poor Benny, hopefully they do trade him and he doesnt have to play Nicol ball. DCU could use a guy as versatile as Benny. I'd give up alot for him.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

Archived