2011 MLB Season Thread

Gary

COMPLETELY FALLING UNDER THE RADAR ALERT: Selig says playoff expansion's coming next season

So does the play-in game winner become official "Wild Card Champions"? ^_^

8519018-16.jpg

6uXNWAo.png

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agreed. Additionally, it automatically throws off any chance of the Wild Card play in winner from setting up their rotation for the playoffs, handicapping them in the division round.

Thats been my argument the whole time, better off to reward the division winners.

The same people who want an expanded playoff field are probably the same ones who bitched when the Cardinals won a world championship with an 83-win regular season.

β™« oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is goneΒ β™«

No-Hit Advisory - Florida's Anibal Sanchez is going for his second career no-hitter, despite giving up a run to Colorado. 4-1 Marlins heading into the 8th.

6uXNWAo.png

No-Hit Advisory - Florida's Anibal Sanchez is going for his second career no-hitter, despite giving up a run to Colorado. 4-1 Marlins heading into the 8th.

Broken up in the 9th, but the Marlins hold on.

6uXNWAo.png

I don't know if I'm quite sold on the Wild-Card Play-In Series. In a sport like baseball, where being in a rhythm is very important, I feel that this play-in series would hinder the division winners by given them a substantial time off. If the play-in series is a 3 game series that means you'll need at least 6 days to complete both leagues play-in. You could (theoretically) do it in 3 days, but then you are talking about day games and late night flights for all 3 days, which would be very hard if the series was Philadelphia vs San Diego or Boston vs Oakland. And I'd hate to see this play-in become a one game play-in. So then you have the division winners sitting and collecting dust for 6 (probably 7 or 8) days, and any kind of momentum or rhythm they had is completely gone.

jNTsTyQ.png

From what I've been reading, logistically it will probably a one-game playoff. I have seen an interesting idea for a 3-game series. Three games in two days. Play one game one day and then the next day play a potential day-night double header.

That being said, I'm not totally on board with the extra team.

"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

I tweet & tumble.

The same people who want an expanded playoff field are probably the same ones who bitched when the Cardinals won a world championship with an 83-win regular season.

Dude, nobody bitched. We are all Cardinals.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Β 

No extra playoff teams. Period. Baseball is working just fine the way it is. No labor issues, the steroid problem seems to be under control, and the small market teams are finding ways to be competitive (the Pirates being the noted exception.) The game looks to be in pretty good shape. So why can't Bud Selig seem to resist his urge to fix what ain't broken? This idea of adding a couple playoff teams is every bit as stupid as awarding home field advantage in the World Series based on who wins an exhibition game.

Β 

BB52Big.jpg

Β 

Β 

Β 

the small market teams are finding ways to be competitive

Temporarily, before the big-market teams swoop in for the kill and pick the small-market teams' talented rosters clean. The Rays' trainwreck offseason proves that it is still nearly impossible for small-market teams to build lasting, continuous success.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Basically, Bud was upset the precious Red Sox missed the playoffs last year. This move is an attempt to assure that both the Yankees and Red Sox make the playoffs each year, because Yankee + Red Sox = excitement and ratings!

This cannot be the case.

I think we would agree that the Rays success was somewhat of an anomaly, and typically, the Red Sox and Yankees would be in pretty good shape to both make the playoffs. That gives MLB a first round series in both markets, and the potential for a BOS / NYY LCS.

Now, the second place team in the AL East (either BOS or NYY) would have to play a one-game playoff against a team from a lesser market, and MLB could lose out on having a first round series in either BOS or NYY, and all potential for their "dream" LCS.

I would argue that this move actually hurts the Yankees and Red Sox (phrased differently, it gives someone else a chance.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Here's an article about Roy Oswalt's first 16 starts as a Phillie (basically a half season.) The guy is so quiet and has so little "star power" (for lack of a better term) that I really had no idea that he has been this good. I guess the fact that I don't think about him actually means that he is really that good.

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/phillies_zone/Evaluating-a-half-season-of-Oswalt.html

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I don't see why everyone is so quick to say the Rays' run of success is "over." They went to the World Series in 2008, won 84 games in 2009, and won the AL East again last season. If for the next ten years they do nothing, then their success was an anomaly. For now, its still going on, IMO.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

I don't see why everyone is so quick to say the Rays' run of success is "over." They went to the World Series in 2008, won 84 games in 2009, and won the AL East again last season. If for the next ten years they do nothing, then their success was an anomaly. For now, its still going on, IMO.

Well literally, it is not an anomaly. I am of course speculating that when we look back in time, we will think of this as an anomaly. Basically my point was not necessarily specific to the Rays, but more to the notion that a small-market / financially-challenged club would regularly contend with the likes of the Yankees and Red Sox.

After winning tonight's home game in San Diego 2-0, the Phillies have had 5 shutouts in their first 19 games. First time for them since 1913. Not sure how (or even if) it ranks historically.

The Cubs are a complete wreck this year. Hopefully this is the year which will lead to the offseason of much contract dumping.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

The Cubs are a complete wreck this year. Hopefully this is the year which will lead to the offseason of much contract dumping.

Quade can be shown the door too. I knew the moment it was announced that he going to be a sh1tty hire. He's proving me right so far.

6uXNWAo.png

The Cubs aren't a complete wreck. In fact, they've been better than I thought they'd be when I was full of dread in the offseason. I was fearing like a 65-win team or something. Probably going to be more like 78.

Quade has, however, shown why some guys never make it out of the minor leagues. He really radiates being in over his head.

β™« oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is goneΒ β™«

Archived