2011 MLB Season Thread

Gary

From what I gather from a Twins fan watching tonight's Red Sox/Twins game, Joe West still sucks at umpiring and at life.

He's the union chief which is the only reason why he still has a job, and I will do a dance when he's finally gone.

You should never bait guys into getting more heated then they need to be, and he does it all the time. The situation that happened between him and Terry Francona was just another example of it. Did Wakefield commit a balk, probably not, but whatever the argument is between Francona and Angel Hernandez. Joe West has no horse in this race, yet who becomes the center of the argument? No other then Joe West.

Bush league umpires like that have no business calling major league games. Guys get heated and you as an umpire are expected to understand that and do everything you can to diffuse the situation. If the player or manager is out of line the MLB front office will take of it. You don't escalate the situation beyond where it needs to be and he seems to do it all the time.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Joe West has been doing that since ever. I remember him picking fights just to throw players and managers out back in the early '90s. He's an attention whore and tries to make himself the show. He is everything that an official should not be.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I don't remember where I heard or read it, but someone wiser than myself once said that if you know an official's name, it's probably because he's not doing his job well. Joe West makes the game about himself whenever possible, Jim Joyce blew the perfect game call, Eric Gregg was morbidly obese and died. As a non-hardcore fan, those are the only umps I can name off the top of my head, plus there's the one who was morbidly obese and died on the field in Cincinnati.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I don't remember where I heard or read it, but someone wiser than myself once said that if you know an official's name, it's probably because he's not doing his job well. Joe West makes the game about himself whenever possible, Jim Joyce blew the perfect game call, Eric Gregg was morbidly obese and died. As a non-hardcore fan, those are the only umps I can name off the top of my head, plus there's the one who was morbidly obese and died on the

field in Cincinnati.

People know of Angel Hernandez and that's because he sucks, too.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

To be fair, I think Eric Gregg was known because of his weight and his "jollyness", not because he was a bad ump. I'd put him as an exception to the "know their name" rule.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The only other umps I know by name are Wendelstedt and Bucknor. Which one got in the fight with Milton Bradley?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

To be fair, I think Eric Gregg was known because of his weight and his "jollyness", not because he was a bad ump. I'd put him as an exception to the "know their name" rule.

I could be mistaken, but wasn't he the one that gave Livan Hernandez every call against the Braves in 97?

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

He was a bad ump as well though. In game 5 of the '97 NLCS when Livan Hernandez struck out 15, I'm pretty sure I could have struck out a few Braves hitters with the strike zone he was getting. Guys were getting punched out on balls that were easily 4-5 inches off the plate if not more. You would need an oar to hit some of the pitches that were getting called strikes.

I was very happy to hear that he was one of the umpires that "resigned" from MLB back during the umpires strike, and I haven't missed him since.

Hernandez isn't much better then Joe West either. Has alot of the same habits West has, so to put those two on the same crew is a recipe for disaster.

Jim Joyce may actually be the best umpire in baseball. He just happen to make one of the all-time bad calls, but I don't think people should judge him on that alone.

The only other umps I know by name are Wendelstedt and Bucknor. Which one got in the fight with Milton Bradley?

It was either Ron Kulpa or Phil Cuzzi

Being an umpire myself, I try not to criticize my brothers in blue (or black, powder blue, whatever they're wearing this year).

But I know West is a publicity whore, always making things about himself. And Angel Hernandez is probably the most confrontational umpire in the league. Extremely arrogant. Worst thing is both are in the same crew, and this is a 4-game series.

Granted, a lot of umpires are argument or ejection happy. Bob Davidson is one. He won't back down, and will go face-to-face with any manager. But from hat I've seen, he doesn't have the attitude that West and Hernandez have.

Jim Joyce is one of the better umpires. (Leads 2011 with 3 ejections so far) Yes, we all know he blew the perfect game last year. But he has been consistently ranked by the league as the most consistent and fairest umpires. I think Tim McClelland (tall guy, leans one one knee behind the plate) is also highly ranked.

The ejection list is shown here: http://umpireejections.blogspot.com/p/ejection-list.html

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

I think what they should do is loosen up on what tenure gets you as an umpire.

From what I can tell once you become an MLB umpire, that's it. You could be the world's worst umpire but if your in the bigs, ain't nothing anybody can do to touch you.

The turnover process at that level seems to be almost non-existent. Another umpire comes up when another one quits. That's about the only turnover I see.

Most umpires at the big league level are good, and deserve to be there, but like I said earlier Joe West has no business being an umpire at the major league level. A guy just starting out with that approach probably wouldn't even make it out of umpire camp.

Is it true that it is the umpires that prevent close plays from being replayed on the videoboards? I heard somewhere that it was actually in their CBA that they won't show replays of close plays so that they don't get "shown up" during the game. If that's true, then man is that disturbing. I can certainly understand where they are coming from, but to deprive the fans the chance to see replays of controversial plays is absurd - especially with the giant HD screens that some teams have that are essentially simply really really really really high-tech scoreboards.

Is it true that it is the umpires that prevent close plays from being replayed on the videoboards? I heard somewhere that it was actually in their CBA that they won't show replays of close plays so that they don't get "shown up" during the game. If that's true, then man is that disturbing. I can certainly understand where they are coming from, but to deprive the fans the chance to see replays of controversial plays is absurd - especially with the giant HD screens that some teams have that are essentially simply really really really really high-tech scoreboards.

As for their CBA, the new MLB one, as well as those for the other major sports do not post their official's CBAs online, so I do not know, but I'm still looking. However under this new agreement, the Commissioner does have the expanded flexibility to use replay on more plays.

The NCAA does enact a no close video replays as policy for their tournaments, except in the Final Four when they have HD instant replay but that was installed this year.

Verlander had a perfect game until the 8th when he let up just one walk, but he faced the minimum 27 batters too.

108 pitches, 4 Ks, BB.

Fantastic game for him.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULB | USMNT | USWNT | LAFC | OCSC | MAN UTD |

Justin Verlander is 3 outs away from a no-hitter

EDIT: Verlander got it. Congrats to him.

Yovani Gallardo came close as well. He lost his in the 8th.

And of course, the guy that I'm playing in fantasy had both of them, what are the odds of that happening?

That's just some terrible luck right there.

Wow, is this going to be another season of no-hitters? We already have 2 and every time Josh Johnson steps onto the mound he is a threat for one.

t5ty54wyetw_zpsubqd9h5t.jpg

St. Paul Pioneers(GHA) Minnesota Skeeters(CL) Minnesota Lake Monsters(UFL)

And of course, the guy that I'm playing in fantasy had both of them, what are the odds of that happening?

I'm on the other end of this... I have Liriano and Jaime Garcia which just missed a perfecto last night

I'm on the other end of this... I have Liriano and Jaime Garcia which just missed a perfecto last night

Iknow a guy who traded Liriano a few days before his no hitter. Like it went through a few hours before he took the mound.

Archived