Vancouver Hornets Concept *Update 3/28/12

kw11333

There has been talk the Hornets might relocate, so i friend wanted me to make some mock ups for a facebook page. Was told to keep the jerseys and logo mostly the same, and replace everything to do with New Orleans. C&C welcome, just keep in mind I had limitations. If it were up to me it would have different colours, and way different jerseys. VanJerseys2.jpgVanJerseys1.jpgVancouverfloor.jpglogo3.jpglogo2.jpglogo1-1.jpg

3dc83d57bcd83b0e6ac86aa9ef4c6139.jpg

Added a logo, I did a few months back.

pretty solid concept there, and it is exactly what i would expect the hornets to do if they moved to vancouver.

That said i hope the move doesn't because it would mean the death of this awesome logo:

zqwgafkcdfamqumx0x5j3ddre.gif

8026825156_0d03b8c868.jpg6864286734_be379a26d2_n.jpg

My fantasy teams: West Coast Cardinals (WRU), Glasgow Claymores (RLI) (Champions 2012) and Pemberton Foresters (VBL)

I still have the Hornets linked to Charlotte in my mind :S

And I'd really like to see a three-way swap here: If the Hornets move to Vancouver, they should rename them 'Vancouver Grizzlies', the Bobcats to 'Charlotte Hornets', and the Memphis team 'Memphis Bobcats' or something new and unique to Memphis (the Flying Elvises?). I know there's no chance of this happening, but I had to get it out of my head :)

I still have the Hornets linked to Charlotte in my mind :S

And I'd really like to see a three-way swap here: If the Hornets move to Vancouver, they should rename them 'Vancouver Grizzlies', the Bobcats to 'Charlotte Hornets', and the Memphis team 'Memphis Bobcats' or something new and unique to Memphis (the Flying Elvises?). I know there's no chance of this happening, but I had to get it out of my head :)

That's not unique. :P

y71myf8mlwlk8lbgagh3fd5e0.gif

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12, POTD 2/26/17

I like what you've got going here alot, I think it looks and is executed very well. I'm also very glad you kept the updated Hugo and made him the primary, I know that of course the fleur-de-bee wouldn't come along to Vancouver but for some reason, I've never liked it at all. I think Hugo is much more iconic, in my honest opinion, and I'm glad you kept him instead of trying to do something else. I think the Hugo with just the "V" on his chest works just fine, aside from the "VAN-H" Hugo. Great work, I really like this!

EDIT: I do have one suggestion about the court, I think the full primary clutters mid court too much. I think Hugo on his own would work just fine and look better, without the wordmarks. Again, great job!

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

Oh, I just thought of one more suggestion. I wonder what the "V" inside a maple leaf would look like instead of a hexagon for the alternate logo. The same color and outline colors, but instead in the shape of a maple leaf. Not that the hexagon looks bad, but I think a maple leaf could work better in this case. It's just a small suggestion, though.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

I really like the "Fleur de Bee" logo, but it's to associated with the state of Louisiana, maybe if the team moved to Quebec, then they could keep that. The font is not the same as the one the Hornets use, just really close, took my a while to find something close enough. I am a fan of putting the nickname of the front of the home jersey, but a lot of teams initially put the city name on the front of both jerseys when the relocate, to establish their identity. That is the same reason I only put Vancouver on the base lines, and put a "V" logo in the hexagon in place of the "H". I did not want to use that tealish coulour on the floor at all, as I feel it would look to close to what they Grizzlies had on the floor when they were in Vancouver. Might take some of the suggestions here and make a third jersey.

Not bad, although I agree that the primary logo creates quite a bit of clutter at mid-court, and the V-Hugo is much better than the VAN-Hugo logo. Personally, I'd put the honeycomb/hexagon V at mid-court and remove the two other ones before finalizing this concept.

Personally, I can't see them keeping the same colors or logo as the New Orleans Hornets, as that kind of a relocation would probably be the final nail in the coffin for the Hornet's identity.

Don't mean to beat a dead horse here but...

Vancouver Bobcats

Charlotte Hornets

And all is well...

Yeah, we've tried this bad idea already. :P

To fix the NBA - move Sacramento to Kansas City to be the KC Kings.

Move Charlotte to Seattle to be the Sonics.

Retract Memphis, Toronto.

Next in line for an expansion team is St. Louis. Next in line to be axed are Cleveland and Portland.

87Redskins.png

Vancouver Bobcats

Charlotte Hornets

And all is well...

Yeah, we've tried this bad idea already. :P

To fix the NBA - move Sacramento to Kansas City to be the KC Kings.

Move Charlotte to Seattle to be the Sonics.

Retract Memphis, Toronto.

Next in line for an expansion team is St. Louis. Next in line to be axed are Cleveland and Portland.

Sorry to derail this thread..

Toronto is going no where. They are a large market and have a strong fan base. They make money.

To talk of contraction, you have to look at the successful teams that still can't generate revenue or attendance. Hornets, Hawks, and Nets come to mind. Back in the mid-2000s, the Nets were in the NBA finals, and yet were in the bottom 4 of attendance. If not for them moving to Brooklyn, they would be at the top of the list.

The Hornets and Hawks have struggled to fill their arenas despite winning seasons and playoff runs.

Seattle is not getting a team any time soon. Not until they put a realistic arena plan in place.

I really like the "Fleur de Bee" logo, but it's to associated with the state of Louisiana, maybe if the team moved to Quebec, then they could keep that. The font is not the same as the one the Hornets use, just really close, took my a while to find something close enough. I am a fan of putting the nickname of the front of the home jersey, but a lot of teams initially put the city name on the front of both jerseys when the relocate, to establish their identity. That is the same reason I only put Vancouver on the base lines, and put a "V" logo in the hexagon in place of the "H". I did not want to use that tealish coulour on the floor at all, as I feel it would look to close to what they Grizzlies had on the floor when they were in Vancouver. Might take some of the suggestions here and make a third jersey.

What font is it? Doesn't look like one I've come across before when looking for a similar font to the Hornets.

Toronto makes more money then over half the NBA teams, despite their lack of success, it's like the 5th or 6th biggest market in the league. Also let me say Vancouver has hosted a pre-season game the last three years, and sold them all out instantly. If it was not for Steve Nash, talk of another NBA team in Vancouver would not at all be happening. Vancouver has a world class basketball capable arena, and a willing owner, not to many other cities have that. OKC did, and look how fast they got a team. New Orleans in theory is a good basketball market, but maybe the NBA can try again their in a few years, when the city has fully recovered.

What font is it? Doesn't look like one I've come across before when looking for a similar font to the Hornets.

it's Council if I'm not mistaken...just skewed a bit from the condensed look of the original font.

Vancouver Bobcats

Charlotte Hornets

And all is well...

Vancouver was the original home of the Grizzlies

Charlotte was the original home of the Hornets

Memphis had no team before the Grizzlies moved there.

Our friend was saying that if the Hornets ended up in Vancouver then the Hornets name should go back home to Charlotte, the Grizzlies name should go back home to Vancouver, and Memphis should take Bobcats or pick a new name.

Vancouver should never be Bobcats, no one should really ever be the Bobcats.

5660299338_f9de1a078e_z.jpg

5659732257_11a2c8d0d4_z.jpg

it's Council if I'm not mistaken...just skewed a bit from the condensed look of the original font.

Yes, thats it, I was searching for that again b/c I forgot.

Archived