Boise St. WR Titus Young discusses colored fields in the NFL

DeFrank

Who thinks the Colts should use blue turf? Horse mascot, blue as main color, but unlike Boise, Colts play in a retractable roof stadium, could it be a good idea? :D

Personally I want to see this trend kept out of the NFL.

Oh Dear God...

...we agree on something. :blink:

I'm scared.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That blue turf is one of the reasons Boise can't be taken seriously, regardless of their record.

Okay, as long as you also don't take Oregon, Marshall, and Michigan State seriously for also using school-colored turf. It's gimmicky and they might blend in, you know. :rolleyes:

They don't use school-colored turf - they wear turf-colored uniforms.

Eh, same difference. :D

But the point remains the same - disregarding the results of a program based on their turf color is beyond outrageous. Sorry we don't live in the '60s anymore. Time marches on.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

But the point remains the same - disregarding the results of a program based on their turf color is beyond outrageous. Sorry we don't live in the '60s anymore. Time marches on.

I should note that I disagree with pretty much everything you have ever said on this board. However, these statements are the most ridiculous. People say this garbage about their points of view (especially relating to politics). However, your OPINION isn't "progress". You aren't more intelligent, advanced or dignified for liking modern design. People who disagree with you aren't cavemen or stuck in the past. "Time marches on" doens't really apply here to teams making clownish gimmicks to get notoriety. And that is what it is - an amateurish gimmick. Boise was a :censored:ty school in the middle of nowhere that nobody knew, and then they became the same :censored:ty school with a ridiculous blue field. Afterward, they became respectable at football. You have to accept that some people think Boise's turf is a big "Hey, look at us over here. We exist!" and therefore discredits the football program.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

You have to accept that some people think Boise's turf is a big "Hey, look at us over here. We exist!" and therefore discredits the football program.

Uh yeah, that was the point of introducing the blue turf, to call attention to the program. How that discredits the recent success of the program (winningest record in college football of the 2000's, two BCS bowl wins, numerous conference championships) is beyond me.

xLmjWVv.png

You have to accept that some people think Boise's turf is a big "Hey, look at us over here. We exist!" and therefore discredits the football program.

Uh yeah, that was the point of introducing the blue turf, to call attention to the program. How that discredits the recent success of the program (winningest record in college football of the 2000's, two BCS bowl wins*, numerous conference championships) is beyond me.

* one a miraculous fluke

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Uh yeah, that was the point of introducing the blue turf, to call attention to the program. How that discredits the recent success of the program (winningest record in college football of the 2000's, two BCS bowl wins, numerous conference championships) is beyond me.

I'll take the middle ground. The blue turf doesn't discredit BSU's football program. Still, coloured turf is NOT the way of the future. It's a gimmick. Gimmicks are fine at lower levels of sport (like NCAA football) but they should be kept out of the pros. As TheOldRoman said, this is not a matter of "progress."

Uh yeah, that was the point of introducing the blue turf, to call attention to the program. How that discredits the recent success of the program (winningest record in college football of the 2000's, two BCS bowl wins*, numerous conference championships) is beyond me.

* one a miraculous fluke

A win's a win.

xLmjWVv.png

You know what, I got one question for you, guy...where was all this vociferous chest-thumping and rant-rolling about Boise's basketball team this season, huh?

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Eh, fair enough.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Boise's blue field turf isn't what helps them. What helps them is that ridiculously easy schedule in that weak conference they play in.

It's one thing to beat a respectable team early in the season before many teams begin to gel as a team, like Va Tech and Oregon did, but I guess playing a red-hot club like Nevada (who's done nothing since 1948) later in the season was a bit too much for them.

You can't live off 1 upset bowl win from a statue of liberty play forever. Start scheduling and beating some real Top 20 clubs on a regular basis if you wanna be taken seriously as a big-time football school. All the blue-field does it make the school look 2nd-rate. :blink:

When did you see the blue turf at Boise State and what was your first reaction?

TY: On my recruiting trip. And I was like, this is real. That was the first thing I thought. I was hoping that I could get adjusted and not focus on the color of the field. But it was just like any green field.

Does it give Boise a home-field advantage?

TY: Definitely. A lot of stuff in Boise is made for the home-field advantage. We have a couple of blue-outs so the fans wear all blue, the field?s blue and we have on blue jerseys so you kind of blend in on the field.

The NFL has outlawed teams from having a ?Smurf Turf,? but what kind of colored fields would you like to see?

TY: There should be a purple field in Baltimore, a green field in Philadelphia ?

But it is green ?

TY: Their green. Yellow in Pittsburgh. A Bengals? stripped field in Cincinnati would be a great invention.

Now this could be a helluva concept for the Colored Field thread.

Boise's blue field turf isn't what helps them. What helps them is that ridiculously easy schedule in that weak conference they play in.

It's one thing to beat a respectable team early in the season before many teams begin to gel as a team, like Va Tech and Oregon did, but I guess playing a red-hot club like Nevada (who's done nothing since 1948) later in the season was a bit too much for them.

You can't live off 1 upset bowl win from a statue of liberty play forever. Start scheduling and beating some real Top 20 clubs on a regular basis if you wanna be taken seriously as a big-time football school. All the blue-field does it make the school look 2nd-rate. :blink:

Well said.

[threadjack] You know, the NCAA should really learn from March Madness. I seriously couldn't care less about college basketball; didn't watch one minute of one game this season. Same is true of golf, NASCAR, whatever. But...I enjoy the drama in any sport when everything is on the line. So I'm all over the Final Four, usually watch at least some of big races like Daytona or the Indy 500, and will even watch golf if it's the Masters and it's close.

Anyway, back to the NCAA and the Final Four. What a story Butler is - again - and a football playoff would replace the zzzz's of the BCS bowl season with the excitement and anticipation of March Madness. I really, really don't understand why they don't come up with a football playoff. And if a Boise State wins their way to the final and beats whoever they face, good for them. They'd be the National Champions, weak schedule, blue turf and all. [/threadjack]

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

You know, the NCAA should really learn from March Madness. I seriously couldn't care less about college basketball; didn't watch one minute of one game this season. Same is true of golf, NASCAR, whatever. But...I enjoy the drama in any sport when everything is on the line. So I'm all over the Final Four, usually watch at least some of big races like Daytona or the Indy 500, and will even watch golf if it's the Masters and it's close.

Anyway, back to the NCAA and the Final Four. What a story Butler is - again - and a football playoff would replace the zzzz's of the BCS bowl season with the excitement and anticipation of March Madness. I really, really don't understand why they don't come up with a football playoff. And if a Boise State wins their way to the final and beats whoever they face, good for them. They'd be the National Champions, weak schedule, blue turf and all.

Did you ever think that maybe the 64 team playoff is actually the reason you (and pretty much everyone else) has no interest in the NCAA regular basketball season? With 64 (sorry, 68) teams in, everyone even halfway decent will have their shot. You like "one and done"? Well, NCAA football is pretty much one long season of one and done.

One way to look at it... College football already has a playoff. Its called the regular season.

(Not that I agree 100% with how the BCS chooses the teams, but do I want to see something that devalues the meaning of all those regular season games? Nope.)

The "regular season as playoff" argument is not a good one, considering the brand-name schools devote nearly an entire month of the season to playing cupcake schools that would never make an actual FBS playoff. In a playoff system, you'd be pretty much guaranteed to have good, interesting matchups the whole way through. Furthermore, it would bring an end to the stupidity of one regular-season loss ruining your entire season.

xLmjWVv.png

The "regular season as playoff" argument is not a good one, considering the brand-name schools devote nearly an entire month of the season to playing cupcake schools that would never make an actual FBS playoff. In a playoff system, you'd be pretty much guaranteed to have good, interesting matchups the whole way through. Furthermore, it would bring an end to the stupidity of one regular-season loss ruining your entire season.

Umm, that is at least 10 of Boise's games any given year.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Archived