Organization Logo

-kj

I have a gay roommate. Am I cool, too? :D

Anyway, I like the logo, Mockba. It works for the organization. As some people said, if this was a "league" logo, I'd probably go for something simpler, but this is more of an organization than a league and it works well.

ICS: San Francisco used to have the largest gay population in the US, which is where it get's its reputation as a "gay town." However, Atlanta has surpassed SF in the past few years, so all I can say is ... We're #1! We're #1! We're #1! ^_^

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ICS: San Francisco used to have the largest gay population in the US, which is where it get's its reputation as a "gay town." However, Atlanta has surpassed SF in the past few years, so all I can say is ... We're #1! We're #1! We're #1! ^_^

I guess we know why San Francisco has had a decrease in population the last few years.....

I saw, I came, I left.

Mockba- your logos are great. The idea is hard to work with when you have a set mind to use a city scape and stick on in an odd-shaped area, like a semicircle. I think you fit those in very well.

Where is this logo going to be used? Is it going to be reduced to be a patch on a hockey jersey, or it is mostly for T-shirts and promotional materials like letterheads or pamphlets? I ask this because when your logo gts reduced I don't think you'll see the triangles in the center ice line anymore. The line may still look a little checkered or patterned, but I think the triangles will lose some definition at the smaller size.

I know you wanted to get away from the generic gay icons used everywhere, like the rianbows and triangles, but what if you put two triangles in the outer circle, but about halfway down? They could fill in the large open area between "Twin Cities" and "Gay Hockey Association", but I don' t think they would be distracting from the skyline artwork in the middle of the circle. I've seen many logos with cicrular text done like this, and there's usually a bullet or some other icon in that space. This way, the triangles would be more noticeable at a reduced size, and while you could still see them, but they wouldn't be overwhelming to the design.

On a different note, when I see the triangle or rainbow, I mostly think of lesbians before "gay individuals". Not that gay men have their own icons, but for some reason I think gay women first. Do you find others think the same way, or that those icons fit the community as a whole?

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

It's interesting that in this context, someone saying that your logo is the gayest thing they've ever seen would be a good thing!

I think your most recent update is extremely good - the right tweaks to a product that was strong from the get-go.

And yes, St. Louis's Central West End certainly seems to be the unofficial capital for the local gay community, although it's really developed into something beyond that. It's certainly an area where the gay lifestyle flourishes but it's far from what I would consider a gay enclave. It's more of an example of gay and straight people coexisting without making a big deal out of anyone's "differences." And as for STL's neck of the woods - St. Charles County, yes, it is about as different from the Central West End as you can get. It's a community that voted down an extension of the metro area's light rail system based upon the paranoia that its opponents whipped up due to the fact that the system also runs through East St. Louis, which is 90% black.

• 5 months later...

*lightning bolt* It lives! IT LIVES!

*ahem*

Yeah, five months later, I'm revisiting this logo, because the organization decided it really wanted to adopt this. I, however, being picky, wanted to "finish" it--I was never quite satisfied.

So, after some playing around with ideas, I think I like this as a final version (click to see larger version):

new-tcgha5x-sm.png

The only thing that I'm not completely happy about is the First Bank building, taking the red colour out of the "1st," since in real life that sign is in red neon. But, it seemed rather out of place, a part that shouldn't stick out so much from the rest of the logo.

As always, comments are welcomed. Thanks to everyone for their help, including Steve-O for giving me some ideas tonight.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Now that is a nice logo. I wouldn't change the color of the "1st" because, as you said, it shouldn't stick out so much from the rest of the logo.

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

the only nitpick i have is how the wording isnt lined up symmetrically (the t in twin to the s in cities and the g in gay to the n in association). otherwise this is a great logo, but with the wording like that it kinda makes it look off balance.

the only nitpick i have is how the wording isnt lined up symmetrically (the t in twin to the s in cities and the g in gay to the n in association). otherwise this is a great logo, but with the wording like that it kinda makes it look off balance.

Yeah. that is one big issue, but I'm not sure what to do about it. I could make the red line disappear under the circle, but that takes away part of the illusion I wanted to create. So, in the end, I settled.

POTD 2013-08-22

if you adjust the spacing between the text on the left side, it shouldnt be noticable and would line up. on the bottom the extra spacing wouldnt be noticiable, but on the top it might be.

Ok, I tried a little cheating:

new-tcgha5-sm.png

The top part's still not lined up, but the bottom part is. I couldn't figure out how to make it non-obvious at the top.

POTD 2013-08-22

Oooh! Talk about reviving a thread. five months between posts.

Nice job, Mockba! That 1st really shouldn't stick out so much, I agree. Was there any other view of the twin cities in which you could have used?

I saw, I came, I left.

I had to go back and see what that "1st" was all about. But I agree with others. The blue is better, even though it is red in real life. Gotta stick to the color scheme. Very cool idea too, using center ice and the MN Wild stars. Nice job.

Detroit Dragons - 2010 ULL Gait Cup Champions

Detroit Cougars - 2010 and 2011 WAFA Wills Cup Champions

Do you guys abbreviate the name of your group as - Gay Hockey Ass.

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

Archived