The NHL presents...the Baltimore Skipjacks

BrianVlietDesign

I was watching the Caps-Lightning game last night and overheard that Baltimore, Maryland was going to host an exhibition game next season against Washington and Nashville. Now, I'm a big fan of Baltimore sports and have supported the Ravens since inception. But, I'm admittedly a bigger hockey fan than a football fan. And within the last 15-20 years, the sport of hockey is something that Baltimore has been missing. So, I began to do some research.

Within the last year or so, the city of Baltimore has announced plans to build a new arena. And on November 12, 2010, Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake announced that city officials are considering a plan calls for the new arena to most likely be erected in the city's West Side, the Greater Baltimore Committee suggest building the arena as an expansion to the Baltimore Convention Center, to help re-develop the Inner Harbor. The cost would range from $750 to $930 million and include the 18,500 seat arena, 40,000 square foot expansion of the Baltimore Convention Center, an underground garage, and a new 500-room Sheraton hotel.

All of this got me thinking. What if Baltimore, Maryland was granted an NHL franchise somewhere in the near future. Or, what if a team relocated there? Sure, with Washington as the "major" target market up there, it's still not a completely far-fetched idea. So, I decided to come up with an identity that was rooted deep within the city's hockey heritage. However, I made a new emblem, used different colors, and went with an all-around different look based off of the RBK Edge template. This team is the Baltimore Skipjacks...

2m2argn.png

NYCFC - MLS CUP CHAMPIONS - 2021

I'm a fool for green and grey...nice, clean classy look all-around!

Though I don't see any NHL team in Charm City's near future, perhaps the Caps could put their AHL team there?

bYhYmxh.png

perhaps the Caps could put their AHL team there?

Lolnope. Hershey-Washington partnership is the best there is, for both teams.

34y7eo5.jpg

You know what they say, "Traditionalist's can go die in a hole if they don't like it."

perhaps the Caps could put their AHL team there?

Lolnope. Hershey-Washington partnership is the best there is, for both teams.

And if they had a Baltimore-Washington partnership, that would potentially save the Caps 2 hours more of travel time between affiliates.

It's good start but concept still needs work

Y?

Nice work WW88 i too like the Green, and the logo with it's nautical theme is a nice touch.

TEAMSsmall.png

RICHMOND TIGERS

I love the logo, but I'm not crazy about the colours. Instead of a green steering wheel, you could go with a sandy wood colour with black trim, and may go with either burnt orange or brick red. But that's me. Logo and uniform style look solid, though.

I love the logo, but I'm not crazy about the colours. Instead of a green steering wheel, you could go with a sandy wood colour with black trim, and may go with either burnt orange or brick red. But that's me. Logo and uniform style look solid, though.

Though, I disagree with the green because of this:

Pic%204%20yellowtail.jpg

I took your advice and modified the emblem a bit:

30vyy2x.png

I remember going to plenty of Skipjack games in the past. They were an affiliate of the Pens then the Caps. And a skipjack is the last working sailboat style in America. Dredging for oysters on the Chesapeake bay. While it is also a fish, the team is named from the boat. These unis are OK, just a modernization of the old 82-83 logo with the Southern League colors. Not a whole lot of originality with the project. Oh and they have been talking of building a new Arena in Baltimore for about 40 years. So I would not hold my breath on that one.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

Not a whole lot of originality with the project. Oh and they have been talking of building a new Arena in Baltimore for about 40 years.

Gee, thanks. Considering I spent about 3-4 hours on rebranding a crappy logo, using colors that the NHL rarely see (and should start seeing more of), and went with my best judgment based upon how new clubs in the past have looked when they enter into the NHL. I may be blowing that comment way out of proportion, but it irritates me that I put work into something for a good amount of time and I receive a comment saying the project has "not a whole lot of originality".

I like it, but I'd slightly cut down on the amount of gray in the home jersey. Right now, there's arguably more gray than green in it. Maybe shorten up the hem stripes a little bit.

Overall, it's an original concept with a color scheme rarely ever seen in sports. I've always wondered if the NHL was at all a possibility for Baltimore (probably isn't, but would be cool).

1923 1927 1928 1932 1936 1937 1938 1939 1941 1943 1947 1949 1950 1951 1952 1953 1956 1958 1961 1962 1977 1978 1996 1998 1999 2000 2009

The gray colors on the jersey are too close to your background. It makes the jerseys look like they're see-through.

As it is, I'm not a huge hockey fan - the last thing I need is to actually be able to see through hockey players' clothes. Ugh....

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

The original jerseys look washed out with the copious amount of silver and thin white stripes. Slight black accents would go a long way to creating some much needed contrast. Maybe also try getting a little more creative with the striping. Traditional always looks good but when you're an expansion or relocated franchise you need to think a little out of box to draw in fans and get merch sales. Think Avalanche, Coyotes, and Hurricanes (inaugural designs).

Also the green works better than the tan.

Archived