Derek Boogaard found dead at 28

nash61

Well, thats one way to clear cap space.

I'm not laughing.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I see you write for ESPN Insider.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I'm not laughing.

Then you need a sense of humor.

OITGDNHL do teams have to have players wacked to free up money to improve. It's still a better system than the NBA though, where if your player dies, you're still on the hook for a cap hit. Hell - Matt Geiger was dead for the last three years of his contract and the Sixers couldn't make any moves to replace his corpse.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I'm not laughing.

Me neither! I mean, I didn't know him, nor did he ever play for my favorite team nor for any team in my area, but goddamnit, he played hockey. A sympathetic figure, if ever there was one. His three career NHL goals will never be forgotten.

Goodnight, sweet prince. This world was too ugly for someone as beautiful as you.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

Have they found out what he died of yet?

Autopsy report won't be out for about two weeks.

His family donated his brain to the Sports Legacy Institute at Boston University, just like the family of Bob Probert did with his. If it was fighting related, they'll find it.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

I'm not laughing.

OITGDNHL do teams have to have players wacked to free up money to improve. It's still a better system than the NBA though, where if your player dies, you're still on the hook for a cap hit. Hell - Matt Geiger was dead for the last three years of his contract and the Sixers couldn't make any moves to replace his corpse.

Now this post made me laugh.

I'm not laughing.

Matt Geiger is not dead

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

I'm not laughing.

Matt Geiger is not dead

thats_the_joke.jpg

Haha @ that sequence of posts and righteous indignation in general. I watched that episode last night!

It's pretty terrible that someone dropped dead at age 28, but it's never a bad time for jokes about the retarded NHL salary cap. Relax.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Haha @ that sequence of posts and righteous indignation in general. I watched that episode last night!

It's pretty terrible that someone dropped dead at age 28, but it's never a bad time for jokes about the retarded NHL salary cap. Relax.

It's pretty hard to relax about a salary cap joke when that joke is dependent on the tragic loss of a young life. It was a tasteless and insensitive crack. Period.

It's pretty hard to relax about a salary cap joke when that joke is dependent on the tragic loss of a young life. It was a tasteless and insensitive crack. Period.

I think that what the current CBA has done to the NHL is far more tragic than the loss of a young life. Even though I typed out a period, I'll add a spelled-out "period" followed up by another typed out one, just for ultimate redundancy. Tragic redundancy, if you will.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Welcome to the internet. Enjoy your stay.

By the way, "tasteless and insensitive crack." There is so much you can do with that one, but I will refrain because I'm not feeling really funny or creative right now.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

A friend of mine knew Boogaard personally; she's been an absolute wreck since Friday night, so you'll have to forgive me not seeing the humor in joking about his death less than 24 hours afterwards.

Your friend and those who knew him personally have every right to be upset. But hell, I'll tell jokes about my own Dad's death, and I find much of the internet reaction to deaths of athletes or celebrities by people who never met the deceased person, and had no relationship with them self indulgent and over-wrought.

That said, having read some of the articles, Boogard sounds like he was a much better person off the ice with the charity work he did than he was a hockey player and his family donating his brain to research is very commendable.

A friend of mine knew Boogaard personally; she's been an absolute wreck since Friday night, so you'll have to forgive me not seeing the humor in joking about his death less than 24 hours afterwards.

You're allowed not to see the humor - that's fine. You'll have to forgive me / us for not caring about someone who I / we don't know's friend's feelings. I'm sure you also know that none of us are happy when anyone does, just that someone needs to counter the whole fake "look at me - I care DAMMIT!" sympathy that seems to follow athlete deaths.

Archived