2011NCAA Football Thread

Gary

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And with that, ladies and gentlemen, Oregon is now back in the national title race.

1-loss Bama or LSU makes it in way before 1-loss Oregon

Well, they can't play each other. We need LSU to beat Alabama by a little bit more than our margin, and OSU to lose. If Oregon plays well, they go in ahead of Boise, but if we struggle in our wins, I think we need Boise to lose.

Why is that? If they end up 1 and 2 in the final bcs rankings, they make the national championship game, that's the way it works. I'm pretty sure the BCS National Title game doesn't say two teams from the same conference can't play each other.

Human voters will rig the polls to ensure Alabama and LSU do not finish 1 and 2. As well they should.

It is all rigged. The "Coaches" Poll is not filled out by head coaches, the Harris Poll just follows that the coaches poll has and all but one of the computer polls are proprietary, so why the Big XII gets more credit is a story in itself. All of this drives sales, webhits, and furor, but the SEC on CBS has lower ratings now.

It is all rigged. The "Coaches" Poll is not filled out by head coaches, the Harris Poll just follows that the coaches poll has and all but one of the computer polls are proprietary, so why the Big XII gets more credit is a story in itself. All of this drives sales, webhits, and furor, but the SEC on CBS has lower ratings now.

Because with the exception of Alabama and LSU, the SEC is down this season. If this wasn't the most awful the Big Ten has been since 2000, I'd actually express optimism for the Big Ten's chances in Bowl season this year.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Spleen, why do you think what happened today puts Oregon back in contention? I'm not saying it doesn't, but I'm curious what took place that makes Oregon a contender (I didnt see many games today, but I know Okie State and Stanford are still undefeated)

Well, Oregon won with it's stars not at 100 percent, but they're almost there, Wisconsin lost again, Michigan State lost again, Clemson lost, Kansas State lost, A&M lost again, Arkansas barely held on, and Stanford didn't look invincible.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

Spleen, why do you think what happened today puts Oregon back in contention? I'm not saying it doesn't, but I'm curious what took place that makes Oregon a contender (I didnt see many games today, but I know Okie State and Stanford are still undefeated)

Well, Oregon won with it's stars not at 100 percent, but they're almost there, Wisconsin lost again, Michigan State lost again, Clemson lost, Kansas State lost, A&M lost again, Arkansas barely held on, and Stanford didn't look invincible.

Well you also claimed the Leach link was a report two pages ago, yet had not comment back. Was it a story or was it a column?

Well you also claimed the Leach link was a report two pages ago, yet had not comment back. Was it a story or was it a column?

First of all, what does that have to do with the current discussion? Second of all, it was both. It said that Leach was considering the Arizona job (news), and the author thinks that this would be a great idea (opinion). It seems like sometimes you just go out of your way just to try to prove me wrong, or say I'm an idiot, even when I'm right. It's starting to get rather pathetic.

Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

Again, thanks for nothing, USC. I'd like to think that voters will notice that Stanford had to go to triple-overtime to beat an unranked team, but we all know they'll just see the score with Stanford on top and that will be enough for them.

At least Clemson, Wisky, and K-State lost.

USC was ranked #20 in the AP poll going into that game. They're only unranked in the Coaches' poll because they're not allowed to be (second year of the bowl ban.)

LvZYtbZ.png

For Oregon to truly be in title contention, there's gonna need to be only one undefeated team or less, IMO. Of the one-loss teams, Oregon is definitely at the top, they're loss was to the #1 team, and it was early in the year, which is the best time for a loss

For Oregon to truly be in title contention, there's gonna need to be only one undefeated team or less, IMO. Of the one-loss teams, Oregon is definitely at the top, they're loss was to the #1 team, and it was early in the year, which is the best time for a loss

Yet for the same reasons pollsters wouldn't pit LSU and Alabama against each other again, wouldn't they attempt to avoid LSU and Oregon again (who even played at a neutral site)?

6fQjS3M.png

From an earlier post of mine:

We need LSU to beat Alabama by a little bit more than our margin, and OSU to lose. If Oregon plays well, they go in ahead of Boise, but if we struggle in our wins, I think we need Boise to lose.

Does anyone ever look back to what others have already said before trying to start an argument?

I'm not trying to start an arguement at all, I'm just asking why you believe Oregon is back in contention. But of the things that you mentioned in that post, none of them have happened yet, so I'm not sure why you think Oregon is magically in the title race (and I'm not sure why you quoted that post, but no one know's what you're thinking 99% of the time)

Current Cujo Championsip Series Rankings

1 • Louisiana State Tigers

2 • Alabama Crimson Tide

3 • Stanford Cardinal

4 • Oklahoma State Cowboys

5 • Oregon Ducks

6 • Oklahoma Sooners

7 • Nebraska Cornhuskers

8 • Arkansas Razorbacks

9 • Virginia Tech Hokies

10 • South Carolina Gamecocks

11 • Michigan Wolverines

12 • Penn State Nittany Lions

· · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · ·

478 • Cal State Poly Tech

479 • Colorado Buffaloes

480 • New Mexico Lobos

6uXNWAo.png

I'm not trying to start an arguement at all, I'm just asking why you believe Oregon is back in contention. But of the things that you mentioned in that post, none of them have happened yet, so I'm not sure why you think Oregon is magically in the title race (and I'm not sure why you quoted that post, but no one know's what you're thinking 99% of the time)

They're in contention now because they actually have a realistic shot at the title game now that some of the undefeateds have fallen. Sure, they still need a few pieces to fall into place, but they're one of the few teams who are still competing to get in. And i quoted that post because I already knew that Oregon needed some other teams to lose. You didn't need to say it again.

9 ? Virginia Tech Hokies

You're joking, right?

... right?

Where's your list, tough guy?

I admit I don't have one, but putting Virginia Tech 9th is a travesty nonetheless. This is a team that struggled to beat Duke and Miami. Their best win was over Wake Forest. At this point in the season I feel it's imperative to rank teams based on what they've done and who they've beaten, not based on where they were ranked to start the season. They played one "good" team and were thoroughly and decisively beaten.

I won't even touch the absurdity of leaving the #4 team in the country out of your top 12 completely while overrating the likes of Virginia Tech, Michigan, and Penn State.

Boise State isn't in a BCS conference -- so why would I enclude them in my BCS Top 12?

Roughing up on weak teams on that gimmicky blue field of their's does not impress me.

6uXNWAo.png

Archived