2011NCAA Football Thread

Gary

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ummm....no. So long as Houston keeps winning the humans aren't going to drop them out of the top 16. And more specifically they'll stay in the top 16 and above whoever it is eventually navigates out of the cluster :censored: that is the Big East this season.

And before anyone says "but Boise State..." Boise State isn't currently in first place in their Conference and therefore S.O.L.. TCU is, and they only have to get past bad UNLV and Colorado State teams to win the Mountain West outright.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Ummm....no. So long as Houston keeps winning the humans aren't going to drop them out of the top 16. And more specifically they'll stay in the top 16 and above whoever it is eventually navigates out of the cluster :censored: that is the Big East this season.

I think Boise jumps them. Now that the only team Houston will play that was worth a damn just lost to one of the worst teams in the nation, I think their previously better strength of schedule might be weaker. But you're right, if they do win out, it would be hard to keep them out of the top 16.... but not impossible.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

I think Boise jumps them. Now that the only team Houston will play that was worth a damn just lost to one of the worst teams in the nation, I think their previously better strength of schedule might be weaker. But you're right, if they do win out, it would be hard to keep them out of the top 16.... but not impossible.

See the above. Boise isn't going to win their conference in all likelihood and is therefore NOT getting an autobid regardless of where they are ranked. In fact, Boise State needs TCU to lose out the rest of the season...and that isn't going to happen.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

See the above. Boise isn't going to win their conference in all likelihood and is therefore NOT getting an autobid regardless of where they are ranked. In fact, Boise State needs TCU to lose out the rest of the season...and that isn't going to happen.

Point taken, although i still wouldn't be surprised is Houston wins out and doesn't get to a BCS bowl.

Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

I don't think enough teams are left to vault them and knock them out of autobid territory. Cincinnati/Rutgers/West Virginia have a win out ceiling of I'd say 18-22 (to be generous) so all Houston has to do is stay in the top 16. Kansas State isn't getting a BCS bid unless Oklahoma gets napalmed by Okie Light and possibly unless Oklahoma also loses to Iowa State....because both Oklahoma schools should be ahead of the Wildcats in the pecking order. The SECs two bids are most likely going to LSU or Alabama (outside chance of Arkansas if enough things happen or Georgia if hell freezes over in Atlanta). One of Clemson or Virginia Tech is going to lose in a couple of weeks and drop past Houston as a consequence, Stanford and Houston are kind of a wash attendance and fan wise, and there's going to be a couple more losses in that 15-18 Big Ten cluster.

Bottom line, you need six teams to get past Houston in the next 3 weeks to knock them out. That isn't happening barring a Houston loss along the road.

Today, we are all otaku.

The president of the Fiesta Bowl happens to be a Stanford grad so I wouldn't be surprised if Stanford got a Fiesta Bowl bid over Houston. I also wouldn't bee surprised if the Fiesta went with Houston over Stanford to avoid more controversy. Like the Fiesta needs more of that. I could see Houston vs. Alabama in the Sugar and Stanford or Nebraska vs. Oklahoma-Oklahoma State loser in the Fiesta. But it all could go to hell if Arkansas upsets LSU and Oklahoma beats Oklahoma State. More Chaos!

Look, the BCS Bowls aren't going to have a choice about taking an undefeated Houston. The goddamn selection requirements dictate that Houston is going to get an autobid to a BCS game assuming they win out. Two loss TCU won't pass them. Whoever the Big East champion is won't pass them. Arkansas State and the MAC Champion won't pass them. Nevada/Louisiana Tech...ummm....good Lord the WAC is terrible...won't pass them, and some combination of 6 teams in college football won't pass them. They will get the non-AQ conference champion autobid.

Today, we are all otaku.

I love how people on here lose their tempers over minimal things. It's just so fun ^_^

So here then:

BCS Championship: LSU vs. Oklahoma State

Rose Bowl: Oregon vs. Wisconsin

Sugar Bowl: Alabama vs. Houston or Stanford

Fiesta Bowl: Oklahoma vs. Stanford or Houston

Orange Bowl: Clemson vs. West Virginia

And before anyone says "but Boise State..." Boise State isn't currently in first place in their Conference and therefore S.O.L.. TCU is, and they only have to get past bad UNLV and Colorado State teams to win the Mountain West outright.

BSU could get an at-large bid, though... like in '09.

Weren't they undefeated and won their conference in '09? They have neither of those going for them this year. If they can't win the Mountain West, they don't deserve to play in a BCS Bowl.

IUe6Hvh.png

Weren't they undefeated and won their conference in '09?

Yes, but the problem was that TCU went undefeated and won a then far-superior Mountain West that year.

I still think BSU would be attractive to the Fiesta Bowl, though. They know from experience that Boise has traveled well to the Fiesta and drawn strong ratings. However, I don't expect a BCS bowl... Boise couldn't get it done at home, end of story.

Anyway, with the BCS possibly ditching the other bowls, who's ready for an all-SEC "big bowl" season? :P

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Cincinnati's Munchie Legaux. Best QB name ever.

I'm pretty sure that's the best name ever, period.

Archived