Family Coat of Arms / Crest

Ez Street

156340883v3_240x240_Front.jpg

Where's the other half, dude? :P

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

156340883v3_240x240_Front.jpg

Where's the other half, dude? :P

How did I know you were gonna say something? :P But IIRC, only the English Waldrons have a crest.

EDIT: Or maybe not...

waldron.gif

How cool is it that it has Moons on it?!

kavanagh.gif

Coat of arms with the original Gaelic family name, (spelled without the accents) Caomhanach. Caomhanach has since changed to Cavanagh and it's many variations (Cavanaugh, Kavanagh, Kavanaugh, etc). The spelling changed because back when names started to actually be recorded, they were written down as they sounded and weren't always the same (much like when immigrants moved to America back in the day through Ellis Island and such).

Back in the 1100s my family was actually kings in Wexford/Carlow/Leinster area of Ireland before the Normans came in and kicked everyone's ass. The castle they lived in still stands in Ireland as a National Museum (The Castle of the Kavanaughs in Enniscorthy, Ireland)

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

I just did this personal crest to represent myself without any real family meaning behind it. Took longer than I thought.

Personal-Crest.png

http://i.imgur.com/4ahMZxD.png

koizim said:
And...and ya know what we gotta do? We gotta go kick him in da penis. He'll be injured. Injured bad.

COYS and Go Sox

never saw mine before looking it up. pretty cool looking.

00000000000000060069.png

Interesting to find out where this originates as my family is from northeastern Holland vs the Kerstens originating from Prussia...curious

73, 77, 81, 83, 90, 06

29, 30, 31, 36, 39, 44, 61, 62, 65, 66, 67, 96, 10

28450825v0_480x480_Front_Color-BlackWhite_padToSquare-true.jpg

A couple different variations of mine - I've seen the boar (needed to verify what it was) with and without a bone in his mouth and the shape of the shield varies.

Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% about how you react to it.
App State Mountaineers / Alabama Crimson Tide / Atlanta Braves / New York Jets / Atlanta Hawks
"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards." [Bear Bryant]
Redmond Rampage

How does one determine which one is the proper one for their family? I've seen several designs...most of which have the same main element, but have many variations including colors.

I've always found heraldry interesting. Most variations are due to additions designating birth order and such like. In my family's arms, the stars could be swapped out for any of the other symbols depicting certain birth order

Mine is:

cunningham-coat-of-arms-family-crest.gif

I don't put much faith in the colors of the helm and mantling depicted above. (Our tartan is actually black, white and red, and other images of our arms show the helm and mantling as well as the unicorn supporters in those colors.)

The important part is the shield itself as that's what would be on the knight's shield or tunic and would help to identify said knight in the field. ("Oh, he's from the house of X")

Heraldry had its own language too so that it was easy for heralds of different kings to be able to identify the other king's men without having to do too much translation. That language was called (or I suppose still is called) blazon. That's where the term "emblazoned" comes from. If a herald were to describe my family's simple arms (i.e. just the shield) he would say "Argent, a shakefork sable." Argent describes the field, or background, first and then the stuff that's on the field comes second which in this case is a shakefork or pitchfork (which is actually a specific form of a charge in blazon called a "pall") in sable, the blazon word for black. If I were to say that simple sentence to a herald, he'd have an idea of what my arms were and if he were familiar with it, I wouldn't have to say I'm a part of Clan Cunningham; he'd just know it from the blazon description.

(Incidentally, the shakefork or pitchfork is pivotal to my arms and the story behind the clan's motto: "Over fork over." Sometime in the middle ages, the rightful heir to the Scottish throne was running from a pretender who meant to kill him and claim the throne. The heir hid in a Cunningham's barn and the Cunningham buried him in hay, piling it up on the heir using his pitchfork. The pretender did not find the prince and when the danger had passed and the prince was made king, the head of the Cunningham clan was made an earl. And that's where our motto comes from. It's something like that anyway. I was retelling it off the top of my head :) )

Heraldry really turns my wheels. To read more, here's the Wikipedia article to get you started:

Heraldry

Evey time I see this thread, I read "Family Guy..." and then realize my mistake. In honour of that.

griffin-coat-of-arms-family-crest.gif

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

I don't believe too many Jews have crests, so I highly doubt my family does. (Also, my family is all descended from Russia, Poland, Ukraine, and my ancestors were all very poor, and it seems like something rich families would have)

zqsjk.png

dyu9sx.png

"Why would anybody ever eat anything besides breakfast food?"-Leslie Knope (Amy Poehler), Parks and Recreation

Archived