The Road to Omaha

Seadragon76

It's that time of the year again... The Road to Omaha approaches. This year, a new ballpark is introduced as TD Ameritrade Park makes it's CWS debut this season.

The first step is the naming of the 16 Regional Hosts for the 1st Round, and they are as follows (and in alphabetical order):

-Arizona State

-Cal State Fullerton

-Clemson

-Florida

-Florida State

-Georgia Tech

-North Carolina

-Oregon State

-Rice

-South Carolina

-TCU

-Texas

-Texas A&M

-UCLA

-Vanderbilt

-Virginia

Opinions? Do you like the choices? Hate the choices? Anyone else you thought deserved to host instead?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought ASU was banned from the postseason.

Arizona's on the verge of having its best record since 2007 so we're definitely a lock for a regional spot. I can't wait to see where we go. Hopefully it's not into a brick wall like last year.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Arizona's on the verge of having its best record since 2007 so we're definitely a lock for a regional spot. I can't wait to see where we go. Hopefully it's not into a brick wall like last year.

I guess the Sun Devils must of got the ban overturned sometime ago. Must of missed it.

Illinois had the first seed in the Big Ten Tournament and won it, so we'll have our first appearance in the tournament since 2000. I never got to see a game this year and college baseball isn't big at all, but I'll definitely be watching the tournament.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

I guess the Sun Devils must of got the ban overturned sometime ago. Must of missed it.

No, I asked the same question on another board and someone mentioned that ASU had appealed the ban, but the NCAA hadn't resolved it in time so ASU didn't get banned.

Rivalry aside (seriously!) the NCAA must be getting tired of handing out punishments to ASU so much. Also, Arizona did get the win and the sweep over Washington, so to the postseason we go!

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

UCLA hosting over Arkansas is blasphemy.

Ehh...Arkansas lost enough series that they pretty much needed to win the SEC tournament to be considered. It would have been nice to have a local regional though.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Ladies and Gentlemen, it's time to unveil the brackets!

Charlottesville Regional

-Navy vs. (1)Virginia

-St. John's vs. East Carolina

Los Angeles Regional

-San Francisco vs. UCLA

-Fresno State vs. UC Irvine

Gainesville Regional

-Manhattan vs. (2)Florida

-Jacksonville vs. Miami (Florida)

Atlanta Regional

-Austin Peay vs. Georgia Tech

-Southern Miss vs. Mississippi State

Chapel Hill Regional

-Maine vs. (3)North Carolina

-Florida International vs. James Madison

Fullerton Regional

-Illinois vs. Cal State Fullerton

-Stanford vs. Kansas State

Columbia Regional

-Georgia Southern vs. (4)South Carolina

-North Carolina State vs. Stetson

Clemson Regional

-Sacred Heart vs. Clemson

-UConn vs. Coastal Carolina

Tallahasee Regional

-Bethune Cookman vs. (5)Florida State

-UCF vs. Alabama

College Station Regional

-Wright State vs. Texas A&M

-Arizona vs. Seton Hall

Nashville Regional

-Belmont vs. (6)Vanderbilt

-Oklahoma State vs. Troy

Corvallis Regional

-UALR vs. Oregon State

-Creighton vs. Georgia

Austin Regional

-Princeton vs. (7)Texas

-Texas State vs. Kent State

Tempe Regional

-New Mexico vs. Arizona State

-Charlotte vs. Arkansas

Houston Regional

-Alcorn State vs. (8)Rice

-California vs. Baylor

Fort Worth Regional

-Oral Roberts vs. TCU

-Oklahoma vs. Dallas Baptist

Again...high SOS is only awesome if you beat the teams you played to give you that SOS.

EDIT-I'm also going to toss in "other factors" as driving why Arkansas isn't hosting a regional. Walton Arena on Campus is hosting Wal-Mart's annual Shareholders meeting beginning on June 3rd. Traffic and parking is already going to be a logistical nightmare BEFORE you toss in an NCAA baseball regional in NCAA baseball country.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

#2 seed in Tempe? I guess winning the toughest division in College Baseball, having a higher RPI, higher SOS means jack squat anymore.

Oh well, payback is coming, hopefully your crooked umpires are gone in Tempe.

Don't count on it. Pac-10 officials are atrocious across all sports.

No, I asked the same question on another board and someone mentioned that ASU had appealed the ban, but the NCAA hadn't resolved it in time so ASU didn't get banned.

Rivalry aside (seriously!) the NCAA must be getting tired of handing out punishments to ASU so much. Also, Arizona did get the win and the sweep over Washington, so to the postseason we go!

Yeah the ban is on hold for now, because the NCAA hadn't reached a decision. They are still going to go through with the appeal of course, so it's possible that if ASU is going to be banned it will be for next season.

I'm not even going to go through the second part of your post :rolleyes:

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Well, I meant it in the sense that they've now passed SMU as the most-penalized athletic program in the NCAA.

Well, I meant it in the sense that they've now passed SMU as the most-penalized athletic program in the NCAA.

Doubt it, ASU has never been given the Death Penalty. Try again.

As far as the Tempe Regional goes. New Mexico really? 39 losses and 19 games under .500? The only team that should give ASU any trouble in Tempe will be Arkansas and Charlotte, but I have a feeling Arizona State will make it to the Super Regional. But they're not like what they should be the past few years. So it gives me worry that they may not.

In terms of number of times given major penalties, ASU is #1. Their most recent problem with the baseball team put them over the top.

As far as the Tempe Regional goes. New Mexico really? 39 losses and 19 games under .500? The only team that should give ASU any trouble in Tempe will be Arkansas and Charlotte, but I have a feeling Arizona State will make it to the Super Regional. But they're not like what they should be the past few years. So it gives me worry that they may not.

You know, the Lobos ran roughshod through the MWC tourny in San Diego last weekend beating BYU, Utah and TCU twice. But, if it makes feel any better Gary, the Sun Dorks swept the Lobos at the beginning of the season (Arizona also defeated the Lobos in a two game series at the end of March, so both Arizona teams have beaten them).

It's funny. I'm typically a big Texas fan, but I've never really gotten behind the baseball team. They come across as smarmy rich kids to me, and Augie Garrido is an arrogant zen idiot like Phil Jackson, maybe worse. Whenever they play, the sports shows I enjoy get pre-empted, which seems like every other day. I'm not actively pulling against them, but I won't be crushed if they don't go far either.

newsig.jpg

Archived