The NFL has alternate uniforms figured out

Kevin W.

Heinous indeed, without question one of the most ill-conceived and poorly executed excuses for a helmet design ever seen on an NFL field. The helmet trashes the entire uni. Awful.

3206536.jpg

The reason for the green helmets was because the NFL would not let teams wear more than one color helmet those years, even if it was for a throwback uniform. After the 1993 season when the Jets, Cowboys and a couple other teams wore lids that were not in line with their throwback uniforms, the NFL allowed them to wear a different colored shell that matched the uniforms.

But I actually thought the Jets looked better with this uniform and a white facemask.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BTW what would constitute a "Clash" game in the NFL? I just saw highlights of a Browns-Chiefs game from 1975. Browns wore orange/brown/orange and Chiefs red/white/red. Very colorful game. Same w/ Buffalo at San Diego in 1973 Bills (white/white/blue) and Chargers (white/lt/ blue/gold). Both games I would consider extremely colorful. Should one of the teams have worn all black or all white then?

Clash games always refer to the jersey, not any other part of the uniform, even in soccer though they try to make sure each part of the uniform doesn't match the other teams. Though I do think it would be nice to see second helmets for each team. Pittsburgh already does this by using their throwbacks against Baltimore and Cleveland usually plays in all white vs Cincinnati.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

I am tired though of the special "throwback days". If you remember, the Jets started this whole thing going with unis I think in '92 or '93. It was to commemorate their Super Bowl victory. Of course it was poorly designed. Old Jet uniforms, present Jets logo on a green helmet. And they played the Bengals.

:blink:

While I'm not tired of throwback games (I love NFL throwbacks), I do remember the Jets uniform you're talking about. First used in '93 I think, then again in '94 for 75th. Green helmet, black mask, Namath-era Jets logo on it...'93 helmet didn't have stripes, but '94 helmet had two white stripes. And they wore modified version of Namath-era uniform.

Yes it was 1993. Yes it was against the Bengals. I was there. It was Miller Lite beer-koozie day w/ a Super Bowl III 25th Anniversary logo on it. I was 8 so I don't remember being there but I know I obviously was as I still have it on a shelf. The helmets also featured it:

941.gif

Here's Joe Namath at halftime of that game. I couldn't find anything. Bengals @ Jets November 21, 1993 if anyone can dig something up.

AP931121046_1201_2M.jpg

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

I am tired though of the special "throwback days". If you remember, the Jets started this whole thing going with unis I think in '92 or '93. It was to commemorate their Super Bowl victory. Of course it was poorly designed. Old Jet uniforms, present Jets logo on a green helmet. And they played the Bengals.

While I'm not tired of throwback games (I love NFL throwbacks), I do remember the Jets uniform you're talking about. First used in '93 I think, then again in '94 for 75th. Green helmet, black mask, Namath-era Jets logo on it...'93 helmet didn't have stripes, but '94 helmet had two white stripes. And they wore modified version of Namath-era uniform.

Yes it was 1993. Yes it was against the Bengals. I was there. It was Miller Lite beer-koozie day w/ a Super Bowl III 25th Anniversary logo on it. I was 8 so I don't remember being there but I know I obviously was as I still have it on a shelf. The helmets also featured it:

Here's Joe Namath at halftime of that game. I couldn't find anything. Bengals @ Jets November 21, 1993 if anyone can dig something up.

Esiason

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Heinous indeed, without question one of the most ill-conceived and poorly executed excuses for a helmet design ever seen on an NFL field. The helmet trashes the entire uni. Awful.

3206536.jpg

The reason for the green helmets was because the NFL would not let teams wear more than one color helmet those years, even if it was for a throwback uniform. After the 1993 season when the Jets, Cowboys and a couple other teams wore lids that were not in line with their throwback uniforms, the NFL allowed them to wear a different colored shell that matched the uniforms.

But I actually thought the Jets looked better with this uniform and a white facemask.

Then how do you explain the Chargers who wore white throwback helmets and the Falcons who wore red? I remember 1994 and the Jets Cowboys and Bills just didn't want to pony up for additional throwback helmets.

IIRC, it was less about cost and more about teams not being sure about breaking in two sets of helmets.

There were legitimate safety concerns, and that's why some teams just swapped out decals instead of making new shells. Turns out that it's not actually a big deal, and nowadays most teams break in their throwback helmets during training camp.

3206536.jpg

Then how do you explain the Chargers who wore white throwback helmets and the Falcons who wore red? I remember 1994 and the Jets Cowboys and Bills just didn't want to pony up for additional throwback helmets.

Don't forget - in 1994, in addition to the Chargers and Falcons, the Broncos wore orange helmets, the Patriots wore white helmets, and the Oilers wore silver helmets.

941.gif

AP931121046_1201_2M.jpg

Well, here's Ronnie Lott with the patch but this is vs. the Redskins and is obviously the standard Jets uni of the era:

2794706.jpg

Are you saying the uni was the same or different from what I posted earlier of the Jets vs. the Dolphins?

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

The jets should really return to the Black/Dark Green facemask. It looks much better than the white one they have now.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

The jets should really return to the Black/Dark Green facemask. It looks much better than the white one they have now.

They don't wear a white facemask now.

I'm not sure that there exists a universe in which that Jets uniform is superior to what they have now. The current helmet logo could be replaced by either the oval NY or even that '80s logo (just in green), but I really don't see why people like the green + black combination. It was ok on the pre-'96 Eagles uniforms because they used much less of it, but even then there was just something about the black that seemed to kill the brightness of the green.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

941.gif

AP931121046_1201_2M.jpg

Well, here's Ronnie Lott with the patch but this is vs. the Redskins and is obviously the standard Jets uni of the era:

2794706.jpg

Are you saying the uni was the same or different from what I posted earlier of the Jets vs. the Dolphins?

Different. They actually wore their Super Bowl III uniforms but with the green helmet (they obviously didn't have a throwback helmet set in those days).

WSU151 found an image specifically from that Jets-Bengals game, which was the anniversary celebration game. Also note I was mistaken in that they did NOT wear the anniversary logo on the helmet itself, only as a shoulder patch. There were also no white helmet stripes on this one, it wasn't "inverted" like the 1994 75th season one was:

355181.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF878921F7C3FC3F69D929FDF69B6280919F62EF52077B892FEE2026D0EDCCFF44DE44C0

I was unaware they ever wore that patch on their regular uniform until now though.

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

I'm not sure that there exists a universe in which that Jets uniform is superior to what they have now. The current helmet logo could be replaced by either the oval NY

Stop right there - that would indeed be an improvement, and that's about the only improvement possible.

I'm not sure that there exists a universe in which that Jets uniform is superior to what they have now. The current helmet logo could be replaced by either the oval NY

Stop right there - that would indeed be an improvement, and that's about the only improvement possible.

Amen. This is as perfect as the New York Jets can get....

NYJets.png

Beautiful.

They don't wear a white facemask now.

I'm not sure that there exists a universe in which that Jets uniform is superior to what they have now. The current helmet logo could be replaced by either the oval NY or even that '80s logo (just in green), but I really don't see why people like the green + black combination.

I liked the black and green. I don't know why, it was technically BFBS, and there was no real contrast, but I liked it...

I'd like to see a green 80s Jets logo on the current white helmet. I know the oval NY would look great too, but there's something about that 80s logo that is awesome.

the NFL gets worse everyday!!!!!!!

Explain how the NFL gets "worse" by limiting alternates and throwbacks to Sunday afternoon games. You get double the points if you can do so with three or less exclamation points.

college football will never do this..

It's a dang shame though. I don't mind WSU's grey set, or even the pro combat alternates once a while. Oregon's rotating uniform sets, however, have to be stopped. No matter the cost.

college football will never do this..

It's a dang shame though. I don't mind WSU's grey set, or even the pro combat alternates once a while. Oregon's rotating uniform sets, however, have to be stopped. No matter the cost.

Maybe if you compared them to Barbie...

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

But the fans actually get behind blackouts, whiteouts and (insert color)outs so why not use that extra energy for the big game.

What's stopping teams from doing (insert colour)outs for prime time games if the teams wear their primaries? Why can't the Ravens do a "pruple-out"? What is it about the colours of alternates that make them the only suitable choices of (insert colour)out games?

And yes the main purpose of alternates are more money sales so why not roll out the alts when you'll have the widest audience available to see them. I'm sure the teams prIobably even see a bump in sales of alternate jerseys and alternate apparel at the stadium when they roll out in them as well.

I addressed this already. When a team introduces an alternate the vast majority of people interested in buying the alternates are fans of the team. These fans are going to be able to see the alternates being worn during Sunday afternoon games. The audience is expanded for prime time games, yes, but that expanded audience is comprised of fans not loyal to the team. They're just football fans watching a prime time game. The extra people you get watching the alternates on prime time aren't the people who will be inclined to buy the alternates because they're not necessarily fans of the team. Most people who may be interested in buying the alternates will be watching the Sunday afternoon games anyway.

I remember when Cleveland broke out the orange jerseys in 2002, the Browns Backers group I was with in San Antonio was jealous because they couldn't get a hold of any because it was a low key event until the week before they wore them. So if they were at the game they would have been racing to get another piece of team gear.

Anyone in that group that wanted an orange alternate could probably have gotten one off the team's online store within a few days. I'm not sure I see the problem here.

That's why the rule is stupid. For small market teams, some of whom arer poorly run, that extra exposure could mean more revenue. Not that they'll be going belly up since the networks have overpaid for the product, but it's still more income that some of them actually need.

No NFL team is in a financial position where their futures depend on alternate jersey sales. Furthermore the increased viewership for prime time games doesn't equate to more sales because the additional viewers aren't people who are necessarily invested in the two teams playing. Anyone who would want to buy a new alternate jersey is probably able to watch the Sunday afternoon games. That's why I don't see a problem with this rule.

Ice_Cap for the win. Well said.

I didn't want to quote Ice_Cap because it was a bit long and what have you, but I agree about color outs. There's no reason you couldn't have a "Purple Out" for the Ravens. Heck, have a blackout and have the team wearing purple. I'd think it's more about the uniformity within the stadium anyway.

Archived