The NFL has alternate uniforms figured out

Kevin W.

I wish the NFL (and other leagues) would follow the soccer model and just have a regular uniform and a clash uniform.

I wish people would stop suggesting American sports do things like they do in soccer. With a few exceptions, we don't really care about soccer. No regular/clash uniforms. No teams with only city names. No advertising on uniforms.

Soccer is very popular in America. You should open your eyes.

No .... it's not. It has more of a 'cult' following just as the NFL does in the UK. I myself love it, and support a team in England known as LEEDS UNITED. The MLS is more on par with the English 2nd tier league (Championship)

Most who really like the game, myself included, prefer the leagues in England, La Liga (Spain), Serie A (Italia), and Bundesliga (Germany). Those are the NFL of all soccer leagues.

While I love it, there's many things I hate about the political part of it i dislike. Their lack of limited video replay (especially on penalties awarded, where's there's a stoppage in play anyway) and goals waved off for offside when replay sometimes shows otherwise.. Also if there's a penalty award, ONLY the one who was interfered with should be the one to take the penalty, not their best penalty kicker. The purists disagree.

The biggest problems is lack of equal rules off the pitch, due to that there's no parity whatsoever. But it's the Worlds most popular sport, it's just not part of the North American culture.

It's ignorant to say a sport sucks or is a lousy sport simply because one doesn't like it. Many foreigners are guilty of the same thing regarding NFL/College Football. Their seasons start in early to mid August and run thru May. That's very long but the fair thing is in the 20 team league all teams play each other 1 time at home, and 1 away.

It's a beautiful game, one just needs to acquire a taste for it.

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, gotta love unwarranted steps taken by a league that can't even figure out it's finances.

What one has to do with the other, I have no idea.

This is something that frequently puzzles me. Because the NFL is buried deep in serious labor negotiations, they can't do any other work regarding the running of their league?

People must either think that other human beings are incapable of multi-tasking or that the NFL has exactly three employees.

At some point, the lockout will be over and a new contract will be signed. Don't you think that the league might want to have a slight idea of what will happen next rather than waiting for that day to come?

It's the same as the stupid argument that people make when they say things like "the government shouldn't worry about (X), don't they have more important things to worry about?" That might make sense if the government could only work on one thing at a time.

Wow, gotta love unwarranted steps taken by a league that can't even figure out it's finances.

What one has to do with the other, I have no idea.

This is something that frequently puzzles me. Because the NFL is buried deep in serious labor negotiations, they can't do any other work regarding the running of their league?

People must either think that other human beings are incapable of multi-tasking or that the NFL has exactly three employees.

At some point, the lockout will be over and a new contract will be signed. Don't you think that the league might want to have a slight idea of what will happen next rather than waiting for that day to come?

Didn't you know? Tackling one thing at a time without any thought towards the next step is the American Way.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

The NFL is becoming so strict. Standardizing Super Bowl logos, totally changing the NFC and AFC Championship trophies into an ugly silver thing, helmet to helmet hits now is a guaranteed $50K fine, now this alternate jersey rule. Roger Goodell has to follow what Pete Rozelle did and everything will be fine.

anim_040d06ba-0611-bac4-cd7b-50fc54ad382 

Some uniforms just don't look good in the day....Like ravens all black

That's a very good point. Although some, like the Dolphins and Bears orange actually do, imo, look better in day games. Something always looks "dirty" about the dolphins orange at night. Oh let's not forget the bengals and broncos as well!

concepts: washington football (2017) ... nfl (2013) ... yikes

potd 10/20/12

The NFL is becoming so strict. Standardizing Super Bowl logos, totally changing the NFC and AFC Championship trophies into an ugly silver thing, helmet to helmet hits now is a guaranteed $50K fine, now this alternate jersey rule. Roger Goodell has to follow what Pete Rozelle did and everything will be fine.

One could argue that everything is fine.

The NFL is turning into a good case study for any of you marketing or design students.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

One could argue that everything is fine.

The NFL is turning into a good case study for any of you marketing or design students.

Indeed.

And what's the NFL doing that's so out of the ordinary?

They're trying to discourage head shots. With concussions becoming common place they should be discouraging head shots.

They're standardizing the Super Bowl logos. Every other sport has standardized logos for their championship game/series. This allows the NFL to further consolidate their brand, which is a smart business move.

They're changing the NFC and AFC championship trophies. The trophies shared aesthetic similarities (were standardized) before the Conference rebrands. The new trophies aren't fantastic, but I think they look more like something a pro team would aspire to win then the old ones, which looked like an award an office would give out for employee of the month.

They're limiting alternate jerseys to Sunday afternoon games. It guarantees that when a team takes the national stage they're dressed in a uniform that best represents their primary brand. The Texans' brand is primarily navy-based. Yet every time they're in a nationally televised game they wear red. This could lead to brand confusion, which the NFL is trying to avoid, and rightfully so.

To me, this is a case of one size shouldn't necessarily fit all when it comes to alternate uniforms and whether or not they dilute a brand. The Packers' alternates clearly diluted the brand. The Bengals' alternates do not, since the tiger stripes are still the major focus of the identity and are well represented in every iteration. I'd think the NFL would be leery to cast rules in an uneven fashion, but some teams have done a pretty good job of making the alternates a compliment to the primaries, and not a visual that damages the brand. Large changes like this might discourage the teams that have done a poor job of creating compatible alts, but also punishes those who thought the process out.

To me, this is a case of one size shouldn't necessarily fit all when it comes to alternate uniforms and whether or not they dilute a brand. The Packers' alternates clearly diluted the brand. The Bengals' alternates do not, since the tiger stripes are still the major focus of the identity and are well represented in every iteration. I'd think the NFL would be leery to cast rules in an uneven fashion, but some teams have done a pretty good job of making the alternates a compliment to the primaries, and not a visual that damages the brand. Large changes like this might discourage the teams that have done a poor job of creating compatible alts, but also punishes those who thought the process out.

Well the Packers don't have an alternate, but I get what you're saying.

Unfortunately, in the "all for one and one for all" era of the NFL, the league can't really look at things on an individual basis (or they need to at least pass rules on a global basis and then consider petitions for exceptions on a case by case basis.) It is certainly true that not all alternates are created equal, but in this day and age you can't really leave it up to the clubs to determine what's best for them anymore, because one stupid decision could impact (how much of an impact is debatable though) the entire league.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Well the Packers don't have an alternate, but I get what you're saying.

Unfortunately, in the "all for one and one for all" era of the NFL, the league can't really look at things on an individual basis (or they need to at least pass rules on a global basis and then consider petitions for exceptions on a case by case basis.) It is certainly true that not all alternates are created equal, but in this day and age you can't really leave it up to the clubs to determine what's best for them anymore, because one stupid decision could impact (how much of an impact is debatable though) the entire league.

Yes, they do.

ept_sports_nfl_experts-331757258-1291576929.jpg?ymipXMEDGcVa12Ht

Oh, I wasn't thinking throwback. Yeah, that counts as an alt for this discussion.

Most throwbacks "dilute the brand." That's kind of the point, to show off something that's different from the regular look.

While I admit to a cerain bias, I think the Packers did their alts right. One game, on local television. They sold a lot of stuff, they got to parade their glorious history for their fans (including many who admittedly didn't know anything about this particular chapter), and they made a few headlines in the process.

But when it came to prime time, they went strictly green and gold. The navy was fun, but only once.

The NFL, unlike most major sports, only has 16 games a year. It is ridiculous for teams to need 5 different jerseys, throwbacks, alternates, unitards, etc.

My new rule:

1 home uniform, 1 away uniform. 1 throwback combo which is worn on a designated "Throwback/Homecoming" weekend.

That is it. No more Battle Red texan jerseys with red pants, no more silver Patriots jerseys, no NY Titans.

1 home, 1 away, and Throwback Weekend for the whole league.

Uniform = UNIFORMITY = recognizable brand.

(oh, and anything U. of Oregon wears is a crime against humanity and a violation of the Geneva Conventions)

Most throwbacks "dilute the brand." That's kind of the point, to show off something that's different from the regular look.

Diluting the brand is never ever the point to the NFL. Jersey sales is the primary point to these.

I still dispute that an alternate necessarily dilutes a brand any more than the different colors FedEx uses dilutes their brand.

WideRight is more strict on uniform policy than the NFL is.

I say 2 games to wear alt, one game to wear throwback. No alts in playoffs. That leaves 13 games (or more) to wear primary home and road, plus allows for ample merchandise sales.

Wait, the NFL already pretty much does that? Oh.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Yeah, not only is it a great idea for the NFL to get a strong handle on how alts can be worn, they may want to think about the growing problem of the mix-n-match jersey/pants combos. The Titans have a primary jersey (the wrong one, IMO) but you never know what color pants they might break out.

I think teams should have to declare a primary uniform COMBINATION (pants/jersey/socks) for both home and road, that can only be deviated from once a year, not counting the alt-jersey game. (And, if I were running the world, the primary combo would not include any monochrome, except white. :grin: )

Archived