Future of Professional Sports

DaytonBlue

In the beginning of the movie BASEketball, they talk about how professional sports went down the tubes.

519VGFCKS4L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Considering what is going on right now in pro/major college sports:

-NBA lockout

-NFL lockout

-Phoenix Coyotes being babysat by the NHL

-Dodgers in Bankruptcy

-20 year old stadiums being discussed for replacement

-Hornets being owned by NBA

-Ohio State/USC/Tennessee scandals

What do you all think the next decade holds for pro sports? Will teams fold? Leagues even?

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

I think both the NFL and NBA will miss some games (at least some preseason games) and come to terms and that life will go on.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

I don't think any leagues will fold. We might lose a team or two, but more likely they will be relocations as opposed to teams folding.

I sincerely hope the NFL lockout cancels the season. That, IMO, would be great for every other pro sport. The mindset of Joe Sports Fan, and the sports media, is waaaaaaaay too NFL-centric. I'm tired of these douchebags like Mel Kiper Jr. on ESPN all the damn time talking about the NFL in freaking March. It's the most over-hyped thing on the face of the Earth and people just eat it right up. I don't get it. So little bang for your entertainment buck, only 8 home games a year and if you're team sucks all hope is pretty much lost by like week 6.

This would be especially helpful down here in South Florida. People are so crazy over the Dolphins yet they have not won a damn thing since 1973, haven't even been to the AFC Championship in 20 years. Every other team down here has either won a title or been to the championship since the Dolphins have, but the Fins get the majority of the coverage and $$$. We could use a lockout to get people to spend some time with the Panthers, Marlins and Strikers. For the price of even the cheapest Dolphins ticket I could see 4 Panthers hockey games, in the air conditioning and with free parking.

I'd love to see just some of the energy and time that gets focused on the NFL transferred to other sports, especially the NHL and MLS. Both great products that don't get anywhere near the amount of press they deserve nationally.

I watch NFL Live in March... during the lockout. I want football.

and EXPLOSIONS!!!!!!!?

(For what it's worth, I'm also not going to be too disappointed if the lockout doesn't end. Anyways, the superior football game on this continent's season is still happening.)

6fQjS3M.png

I've taken to watching the CFL. Always found their more wide open version of the game due to the 3 downs and field size more interesting anyway.

BASEktball was an entertaining movie, but this doomsday scenario where every league will entire fold outright, or contract by half won't happen. Even if the economy fails to improve in terms of Americans, Canadians, or other people having the extra income to spend/or time to watch said events continues to lessen, all four leagues will survive. People forget that MLB and NHL both were in a lockout during the mid-1990's when things were a lot smoother overall, the same as the NBA and NFL are right now at an impasse in their CBA negotiations. It's called market correction, and with the current economics conditions and escalating player revenue and costs of operations will lead to some problems that the NBA is having right now. The NFL to a lesser extent. The NBA's system isn't broken completely, but it is extremely flawed, and they will probably lose the entire year, much like the NHL did in 2005. The NFL is probably find a way to figure out how to split up the pie, and negotiate a long-term deal that will benefit both sides are at least a decade, instead of merely placing a band-aid on a gaping wound, as was done in 2006.

Will there be some lost games? Probably for the NBA. Will there be some relocations? Probably for the NHL. Will some franchises merge instead of outright fold? Maybe the NBA or NHL might experience that, specifically the NBA if more than a season is lost. Is this the end of the world? No. Go play a video game, go play outside, go read a book, go improve your community, go get a life.

The NBA is the only league I can envision contracting in the foreseeable future, and then only if the lockout drags on for too long and/or fails to get its team owners the kind of CBA they want. In the worst-case scenario, owners that decide they don't want to bleed any more cash, but are unable to find buyers for their clubs, could even simply do the equivalent of mailing in the keys and washing their hands of it all.

However I do also think the next wave of franchise relocations is coming soon, in every major league except MLB (and then only because with MLB, all the largest markets are already spoken for). The Thrashers to Winnipeg was just the leading edge of the wave.

CCSLC signature.png

and EXPLOSIONS!!!!!!!?

(For what it's worth, I'm also not going to be too disappointed if the lockout doesn't end. Anyways, the superior football game on this continent's season is still happening.)

Filled with NFL rejects. I watched the Argos last night. Lemon was their QB.

There is a fast growing sport globally and it is MMA.

When BASEketball was shot, the world of MMA was thought of as in Sen. John McCain's words, "Human chicken fighting", but it now has more states regulating it and has more global acceptance. I am not as big on it as I was in 2005-2007, but it is still gaining popularity in North America. Granted, this could be similar to a "golf boom" like in the early 1980's and when Tiger won his first Masters or just like a martial arts boost from the original "Karate Kid", but there seems to be an interest in the events, especially UFC, and in those who think that MMA/ Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu starting gyms across the country are a financial boon.

FYI, I am really sad to finally proclaim that Mayweather/Pacquiao is the only match which can save boxing. The "Super Six" didn't do it, but it did give us some nice matchups and at least promoters worked with each other.

FYI #2, this Haye/Klitschko fight has SUCKED! Neither guy wants to throw hands, which I will see tonight with the UFC card.

Yeah I am surprised boxing still has the interest it does with the rise of MMA.

I never said that boxing still had an interest. I am in my mid-30s and most people my age are not interested in the sport and people younger are not interested either.

What used to be for a century as one of the two North American sport to "take someone out from poverty" along with baseball, boxing has been replaced with basketball and MMA. Plus, MMA in North America still has an issue as the number of college wrestling programs continue to diminish, so skill sets may be limited to a point.

Pay-Per-View killed boxing.

Questionable. The alphabet soup, starting with the addition of Larry Holmes' IBF belt in 1983, killed boxing as there was an additional "World Champion" and the possibility of another promoter to enter the system as well as the addition of more divisions for fighters with "belts".

CBS and ABC still had on big fights on live TV in the Ali era, which moved into the Sugar Ray era, yet some fights were still on "closed circuit" in which you had go to a movie theater. There was the move from the heavyweight division as the marquee spot to the welterweight divisions (147 lbs.). ABC still aired fights through the 1990's, but also remember that CBS aired the "Boom Boom" Mancini/Duk Koo Kim bout live in 1982 and had their last live bout in 1997 with B-Hop/Glen Johnson.

Technology changed and one could get the same thing in the home. I think the last closed circuit fight I went too was Duran/Leonard 2.

I think that you are going to see leagues get smaller. They could get down to 28 or 25 or 24. The talent in the leagues will get watered down with all the teams and if the economy is not getting any better than more teams wont be able to make money. Like in the NBA 22 out of 30 teams are losing money. I also agree that the NFL sould take one season off, yes I love my football but the constant coverage is just fackin annoying.

t5ty54wyetw_zpsubqd9h5t.jpg

St. Paul Pioneers(GHA) Minnesota Skeeters(CL) Minnesota Lake Monsters(UFL)

Archived