BASEBALL ALL-TIME DRAFT: Discussion Thread (PLEASE LOCK)

Dexter Morgan

Between the unreadable pots-and-pans font and the detailed photograph of a salisbury steak that you think would embroider well on a hat, those uniforms are Colin-Kaepernick-pick-esque. B)

They wouldn't be embroidered. There would be super sticky stickers we would put on the hats, and the stickers would most definitely be scratch-n'-smell. ;)

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice!!! AWESOME!!!

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

PLAYERS TAKEN

1. Round 1.
  2. Willie Mays
  3. Ty Cobb
  4. Babe Ruth
  5. Ted Williams
  6. Hank Aaron
  7. Barry Bonds
  8. Sandy Koufax
  9. Walter Johnson
  10. Lou Gehrig
  11. Stan Musial
  12. Roger Clemens
  13. Satchel Paige
  14. Josh Gibson
  15. Joe DiMaggio
  16. Jimmie Foxx
    Round 2.
  17. Christy Mathewson
  18. Pete Rose
  19. Ken Griffey, Jr.
  20. Mickey Mantle
  21. Sadaharu Oh
  22. Honus Wagner
  23. Johnny Bench
  24. Warren Spahn
  25. Reggie Jackson
  26. Rogers Hornsby
  27. Nolan Ryan
  28. Alex Rodriguez
  29. Cy Young
  30. Tris Speaker
  31. Greg Maddux

Round 3.
  32. Yogi Berra

Sorry guys, I was away most of the day. Plus traffic getting out of Manhattan was just awful.

Anyways, I love Derek Jeter, but he isn't half the player Alex Rodriguez is. Better defensive SS, light years better offensively. Not the same type of players.

Sorry guys, I was away most of the day. Plus traffic getting out of Manhattan was just awful.

Anyways, I love Derek Jeter, but he isn't half the player Alex Rodriguez is. Better defensive SS, light years better offensively. Not the same type of players.

Carmageddon there too? *lol*

PLAYERS TAKEN

1. Round 1.
  2. Willie Mays
  3. Ty Cobb
  4. Babe Ruth
  5. Ted Williams
  6. Hank Aaron
  7. Barry Bonds
  8. Sandy Koufax
  9. Walter Johnson
  10. Lou Gehrig
  11. Stan Musial
  12. Roger Clemens
  13. Satchel Paige
  14. Josh Gibson
  15. Joe DiMaggio
  16. Jimmie Foxx
    Round 2.
  17. Christy Mathewson
  18. Pete Rose
  19. Ken Griffey, Jr.
  20. Mickey Mantle
  21. Sadaharu Oh
  22. Honus Wagner
  23. Johnny Bench
  24. Warren Spahn
  25. Reggie Jackson
  26. Rogers Hornsby
  27. Nolan Ryan
  28. Alex Rodriguez
  29. Cy Young
  30. Tris Speaker
  31. Greg Maddux
  32. Cy Young
  33. Tris Speaker
    Round 3.
  34. Yogi Berra

You put down Cy Young and Tris Speaker twice.

25yzwqg.png

Carmageddon there too? *lol*

Seriously felt like it.

PLAYERS TAKEN

1. Round 1.
  2. Willie Mays
  3. Ty Cobb
  4. Babe Ruth
  5. Ted Williams
  6. Hank Aaron
  7. Barry Bonds
  8. Sandy Koufax
  9. Walter Johnson
  10. Lou Gehrig
  11. Stan Musial
  12. Roger Clemens
  13. Satchel Paige
  14. Josh Gibson
  15. Joe DiMaggio
  16. Jimmie Foxx
    Round 2.
  17. Christy Mathewson
  18. Pete Rose
  19. Ken Griffey, Jr.
  20. Mickey Mantle
  21. Sadaharu Oh
  22. Honus Wagner
  23. Johnny Bench
  24. Warren Spahn
  25. Reggie Jackson
  26. Rogers Hornsby
  27. Nolan Ryan
  28. Alex Rodriguez
  29. Cy Young
  30. Tris Speaker
  31. Greg Maddux
  32. Cy Young
  33. Tris Speaker
    Round 3.
  34. Yogi Berra

You put down Cy Young and Tris Speaker twice.

Thanks, fixed.

I don't consider Bench to be the best of all time, and it was a runner up with my Biggest Reach pick. I might reach on a catcher too, considering they are a premium position, but still.

You're high. And you're wrong. B) Seriously though, this is what makes this draft so much fun. It's virtually impossible to pick a "bad" team. And the debates could go on forever.

BB52Big.jpg

Have to assume this draft will slow to a crawl over the weekend. Which is understandable during the summer time.

It slows to a crawl because about one third of the participants think it sounds great at first and then they quickly lose interest. The same thing happened with our NFL draft.

I propose that between 8am and midnight we put a 4 hour limit on picks. If you don't pick within the allotted time, the person behind you moves up, and so on until the "offending" member finally makes their pick. For instance, let's say that infrared41 is no where to be found when he's on the clock. His time started at 4pm. If by 8pm he still hasn't picked, then whoever is next in line moves up. If that person uses their pick then the next person goes, and so on until infrared41 gets his head out of his ass and makes a pick. Since people need sleep, midnight to 8am won't count toward the allotted time. It won't completely screw the person who's taking too long and we won't have to wait for slower members to catch up.

BB52Big.jpg

Have to assume this draft will slow to a crawl over the weekend. Which is understandable during the summer time.

Its pretty much a crawl now. You'll see four picks go by within 30 minutes and then it will be over six hours until the next one and people will be ready to pick once the guy holding up goes, but after awhile they just get tired of waiting so they leave, the person finally shows up makes their pick and now the person behind them is gone.

I don't think it would be asking alot for people to be checking in at least every eight hours or so. Nobody is that busy not to be able to at least do that, and if you are then you probably shouldn't be doing this in the first place. Nobody shuld be going over 12 hours. I understand :censored: happens from time to time, so if you go over once or twice I can understand, but if its just about every single pick its you.

Its the same problem with any fantasy draft. 15 different people on 15 different schedules and its impossible to get everyone on the same page at once.

I don't think it would be asking alot for people to be checking in at least every eight hours or so. Nobody is that busy not to be able to at least do that, and if you are then you probably shouldn't be doing this in the first place.

Unfortunately, I will be that busy tomorrow. I will not be available for picks until about 6:30 PM. Hopefully this will not be a problem, but it could be. Also, starting next Friday or Saturday, I will have to sell the team because I will not have access to a computer for the rest of the week (up until the following Friday or so). I am assuming that this thing will go that long, considering there is scheduled to be 25 rounds.

25yzwqg.png

I don't think it would be asking alot for people to be checking in at least every eight hours or so. Nobody is that busy not to be able to at least do that, and if you are then you probably shouldn't be doing this in the first place.

Unfortunately, I will be that busy tomorrow. I will not be available for picks until about 6:30 PM. Hopefully this will not be a problem, but it could be. Also, starting next Friday or Saturday, I will have to sell the team because I will not have access to a computer for the rest of the week (up until the following Friday or so). I am assuming that this thing will go that long, considering there is scheduled to be 25 rounds.

If it keeps going at that pace it will be that long, probably even longer.

Most can identify pretty quickly the top 10, 25, or 50 players in their minds ready to go. Once you get past that mark though it gets tricky and you have to do research.

I wanna see what happens when we get to relievers. You have the save, but beyond there's really no key lookup stats you can go to for finding out how to rank guys and even the save rule is faulty. The only way is to do it on a case by case basis. One of my primary draft strategies is relying on people being lazy in this department. I'm hoping people just look at the career saves leaders and just go by that. I hope Lee Smith is the third relief pitcher taken, because its going to make my job that much easier.

The only thing I can say is do what you can to get on here when you have free time, and that goes for everyone, because this will drag on for alot longer then it should otherwise.

What happens if someone goes over the 24 hour time limit? Do they lose their pick or do they lose their team? I'd imagine if someone went over this early they should just quit while they are ahead because there's no way your making up for that lost pick.

If you know that you're going to be without internet for a significant amount of time and your pick will probably occur during that time, you should just send a list of 5-10 players to Dexter so that it doesn't slow down the draft entirely. It's just another way to speed up the draft if you're going to be out all day.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

If you know that you're going to be without internet for a significant amount of time and your pick will probably occur during that time, you should just send a list of 5-10 players to Dexter so that it doesn't slow down the draft entirely. It's just another way to speed up the draft if you're going to be out all day.

I'll also draft for people as well, and I won't screw anyone over either.

Whether or not you want to trust me is up to you, but I'm unemployed right now, so I have the time to do it.

If you don't pick within the 24 hours, you get skipped over, but you can pick any time, you don't lose your pick. I believe that happened to the Ravens in the NFL draft this year, they picked a few sports after they were shce

I think it would be a good idea for people to send me or anyone else a list of players if they don't think they will be around all day.

If you don't pick within the 24 hours, you get skipped over, but you can pick any time, you don't lose your pick.

I think it would be a good idea for people to send me or anyone else a list of players if they don't think they will be around all day.

That seems pretty fair.

Archived