BASEBALL ALL-TIME DRAFT: Discussion Thread (PLEASE LOCK)

Dexter Morgan

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, is it corny that I've put together a Kiper-like big board of "Best Avaliable Players" on my iPod? I can't help it, as such a huge baseball nerd I'm totally taking this seriously :P

Thanks for putting this together, Dexter. It was a great idea and proving to be ALOT of fun!

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

So, is it corny that I've put together a Kiper-like big board of "Best Avaliable Players" on my iPod? I can't help it, as such a huge baseball nerd I'm totally taking this seriously :P

How many do you have?

Players? About 20 (depending on which of the players are chosen). I made the list that long in the event 10-14 of them are chosen ahead of my pick, that it could leave 6-10 players left on my list to choose from instead of having to scramble to my books and the 'net to look up a new player. Then after my picks, I add a few new players to the bottom of the list to prepare for the next round :)

Oh, and I base my list partly off of Sporting News' 100 Greatest Players Second Edition, but take into consideration that that edition was compiled a few years ago so I do some extra research to look at more recent players' accomplishments since the Second Edition's publication. Also, there may be players who I feel may be of better value than their SN100 rank shows (in my case, Jimmie Foxx is #16 on the SN100, but his defensive versatility makes him more valuable than some ranked ahead of him, in my opinion, so I had him ranked alot higher), so I take that into consideration too.

I told you guys, I'm a total baseball nerd! :P

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

Are sabermetrics factored into your list? If not, I'm afraid you have yet to reach the ultimate level of baseball nerditude. :P

Haha, not really, or at least not intentionally. I'm more of a baseball history nerd, I should say. I look alot at career stats, but also things like defensive versatility (in Foxx's case at least, as aforementioned), durability (how long the player's career spanned), and the era they played in. I tend to favor players from older eras, because I humbly feel there were many more complete ballplayers back then as opposed to today, in that many excelled greatly in multiple aspects of the game during those years.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

I just took Pete Rose. In his career, he played outfield and all three infield positions. When do I have to decide where he plays?

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12, POTD 2/26/17

I just took Pete Rose. In his career, he played outfield and all three infield positions. When do I have to decide where he plays?

Couple of questions... how many is the minimum games played at a position to be able to put him there for the team? Obviously, I'm assuming you could take A-Rod as a shortstop, but what about say... Pujols as a third baseman (103 games) or a left fielder (269 games)?

At least 5 full seasons.

Keep this in mind. He's probably not eligible at all of them.

Couple of questions... how many is the minimum games played at a position to be able to put him there for the team? Obviously, I'm assuming you could take A-Rod as a shortstop, but what about say... Pujols as a third baseman (103 games) or a left fielder (269 games)?

At least 5 full seasons.

Keep this in mind. He's probably not eligible at all of them.

I disagree with that rule. Rose plays four full seasons at second but if you wanted to put him there, I wouldn't have an issue with it.

I would go three seasons as well as the Bill James spectrum rule. C,SS,2B,CF,3B,RF,LF,1B

That means anyone who played at the upper end of the spectrum should qualify to play lower end positions as well. I'd say at least one full season at the position below, but to me Rose should be able to play 2B, 3B, RF, LF and 1B.

That would be my two cents. If not then the pick of Rose is kidna dumb this early because he would only qualify for 1st and left field. It would reduce his value quite a bit I would say.

I'll compromise, instead of 3 or 5 seasons, we'll go with 4 seasons. I'm also going to use the old 152 game schedule. Thus a player must have at least 608 games at a position to be eligible to play that position.

Also keep in mind, the roster has OF-CF-OF. You can draft two LF or two RF.

1. All professional baseball players are eligible to be drafted. Including Negro Leagues and international leagues.

2. Players must have at least 608 games (4 seasons) under their belt to be eligible to play a position.

Is their anything else we need to cover?

PLAYERS TAKEN

1. Round 1.
  2. Willie Mays
  3. Ty Cobb
  4. Babe Ruth
  5. Ted Williams
  6. Hank Aaron
  7. Barry Bonds
  8. Sandy Koufax
  9. Walter Johnson
  10. Lou Gehrig
  11. Stan Musial