BASEBALL ALL-TIME DRAFT: Discussion Thread (PLEASE LOCK)

Dexter Morgan

Hey guys, I'm going to be out for the better part of the afternoon. If we manage to get to my pick before I get back, I should be back on between 5-6. Sorry for any delays I may cause.

Oh, and damn you anyway AnythingChicago. Maddux was at the top of my pitchers list. B)

Damn you, too. :P But there's plenty of good pitchers out there. I was even considering getting Maddux and another 300+ win pitcher who pitched for a very bad team in the 70s, yet still managed to get 25 or so wins (which was even half the team's wins one year).

I would have no issue taking a third starter with my third pick depending on who goes before I pick. Out of my top ten available seven are pitchers but out of my top 30 the total drops to thirteen, so alot of big names coming up and then I have a bit of a dropoff.

If you ask me, there's really no steep drop off in pitching. It will decline in quality on a pretty consistent slope, in my opinion.

And, Gary., you're on the clock again.

25yzwqg.png

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Through 2 rounds... leaving my own draft out, to be as impartial as possible.

BEST VALUE (ROUND ONE): Babe Ruth, #3, Cleveland Indians

BEST VALUE (ROUND TWO): Honus Wagner, #21, Detroit Stars

WORST VALUE (ROUND ONE): Satchel Paige, #12, New York Mets - What the legends leave out would be the years at a time when his fastball was dead, and there was no negro league or barnstorming team that would even take him. He got by on junk for a while, but he was horrifically inconsistent and a HUGE stretch this early.

WORST VALUE (ROUND TWO): Pete Rose, #17, Modesto Nuts - A slap hitter, who didn't walk a lot (9.9% career BB%), didn't hit for a lot of power, and was just an absolute :censored:ing BUTCHER in the fields. He had a small peak and then just stayed playing for way too long to build his stats. A mid-round pick that got bumped up because of how many slap singles he hit.

I'll post mine:

BEST VALUE (ROUND ONE): Walter Johnson, #8, Newark Eagles. I would have never passed on him, Bruschi. The train would've almost been a steal at six, so pmoehrin was lucky to snatch up Walter at pick 8.

BEST VALUE (ROUND TWO): Warren Spahn, #23, Newark Eagles. Once again, pmoehrin steals a pitcher that should have never fallen down that far.

WORST VALUE (ROUND ONE): Satchel Paige, #12, New York Mets. I agree with you there.

WORST VALUE (ROUND TWO): Reggie Jackson, #24, Albuquerque Dukes. I agree Rose was a stretch, too, but it was too early for Reggie. There were several outfielders who fell back (some are still available here in the third round) that were better than him. He had power and speed, but he struck out a lot and didn't have the best batting average. Oddball could have gotten him easily with his third round pick.

25yzwqg.png

So judging from the last 2 picks, am I to believe that the rest of the rounds are going to follow the draft order from the 1st and 2nd rounds?

Yes. From now on, knnhervy and I will have 2 picks in a row for the remainder of the draft, followed by a 30 pick hiatus. The order reverses each round.

25yzwqg.png

Best value round two? Johnny Bench. The guy is on some lists as the 16th best player period. To get him at 22 is a steal if you ask me. B)

You know, I think I've got to agree with you here. I consider Bench to be the greatest catcher of all time, and where catcher is such an important and valuable position, snatching him at 22 was a huge steal. I seriously thought he'd be gone before my picks came around. The only reason I didn't pick him was because I felt Foxx's overall value was too great to pass up, and I wanted to spend my other pick on an ace (with Mathewson left on the board, especially).

With Gehrig and Bench, you've put together a very impressive two rounds so far! :)

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

Ah, I should've clarified - I consider Bench the greatest MLB catcher of all time (just my humble opinion). In all leagues, Josh Gibson is the greatest. He was taken already though, so in my mind Bench was the next best catcher.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

Through 2 rounds... leaving my own draft out, to be as impartial as possible.

BEST VALUE (ROUND ONE): Babe Ruth, #3, Cleveland Indians

BEST VALUE (ROUND TWO): Honus Wagner, #21, Detroit Stars

WORST VALUE (ROUND ONE): Satchel Paige, #12, New York Mets - What the legends leave out would be the years at a time when his fastball was dead, and there was no negro league or barnstorming team that would even take him. He got by on junk for a while, but he was horrifically inconsistent and a HUGE stretch this early.

WORST VALUE (ROUND TWO): Pete Rose, #17, Modesto Nuts - A slap hitter, who didn't walk a lot (9.9% career BB%), didn't hit for a lot of power, and was just an absolute :censored:ing BUTCHER in the fields. He had a small peak and then just stayed playing for way too long to build his stats. A mid-round pick that got bumped up because of how many slap singles he hit.

I'll post mine:

BEST VALUE (ROUND ONE): Walter Johnson, #8, Newark Eagles. I would have never passed on him, Bruschi. The train would've almost been a steal at six, so pmoehrin was lucky to snatch up Walter at pick 8.

BEST VALUE (ROUND TWO): Warren Spahn, #23, Newark Eagles. Once again, pmoehrin steals a pitcher that should have never fallen down that far.

WORST VALUE (ROUND ONE): Satchel Paige, #12, New York Mets. I agree with you there.

WORST VALUE (ROUND TWO): Reggie Jackson, #24, Albuquerque Dukes. I agree Rose was a stretch, too, but it was too early for Reggie. There were several outfielders who fell back (some are still available here in the third round) that were better than him. He had power and speed, but he struck out a lot and didn't have the best batting average. Oddball could have gotten him easily with his third round pick.

And we have the Mel Kiper of a fantasy draft! Nice!!!

And I still disagree.

And that's fine. It's your opinion, and I respect it.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

Truthfully? You make me wish I had adblock on this computer so I wouldn't have to look at those logos or jerseys.

:D Well, they're supposed to be kind of humorous. But, yes, they are pretty fugly. I did update the road ones to eliminate the messy white splotches, but still.

25yzwqg.png

I'm sorry to keep posting all the time, I truly am not intending to post-pad or anything, but I just have one more quick question - regarding DH's, do we have to draft players who were/are DH's, or can we draft anyone we want and insert them as our DH? Not that I'm looking to draft one with my upcoming picks, I'm just curious for future reference. I don't want to break any rules or anything.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

So, whilst we're waiting for Gary., what do you all think of the newly unveiled Steaks unis? B)

Aesthetically I hate them! They are beyond ugly!!! For pure humor, I get them and love them! :P I will say that they are very minor-league promotionish. I could see these as a one night promotion, but not as an every day uniform.

Between the unreadable pots-and-pans font and the detailed photograph of a salisbury steak that you think would embroider well on a hat, those uniforms are Colin-Kaepernick-pick-esque. B)

They wouldn't be embroidered. There would be super sticky stickers we would put on the hats, and the stickers would most definitely be scratch-n'-smell. ;)

25yzwqg.png

Archived