BASEBALL ALL-TIME DRAFT: Discussion Thread (PLEASE LOCK)

Dexter Morgan

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

PLAYERS TAKEN

1. Round 1.
  2. Willie Mays
  3. Ty Cobb
  4. Babe Ruth
  5. Ted Williams
  6. Hank Aaron
  7. Barry Bonds
  8. Sandy Koufax
  9. Walter Johnson
  10. Lou Gehrig
  11. Stan Musial
  12. Roger Clemens
  13. Satchel Paige
  14. Josh Gibson
  15. Joe DiMaggio
  16. Jimmie Foxx
    Round 2.
  17. Christy Mathewson
  18. Pete Rose
  19. Ken Griffey, Jr.
  20. Mickey Mantle
  21. Sadaharu Oh
  22. Honus Wagner
  23. Johnny Bench
  24. Warren Spahn
  25. Reggie Jackson
  26. Rogers Hornsby

Amen and amen and amen to the "This is fun!" comments! I'm having a total blast with this.

I'm very pleased with my first two picks, I feel I was able to obtain some VERY great talent and value with Foxx and Mathewson.

I have an idea of who I want with my next pick, and feel he could very wall fall into my lap - let's just say I don't expect very many people will think of him. I'm crossing fingers that it will be the case.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

I thought we were ignoring steroids in this draft. Also, Jeter is by far the worst fielder in baseball. -43.4 UZR since 2002. -5.0 UZR/150 since 2002. .813 RZR since 2002. These are all below the league average. He has no range whatsoever. His range factor is terrible every single year. Never mind A-Rod, a trained chimp would be a better fielder than Jeter. Don't even bother mentioning the Gold Gloves - those have become a popularity contest.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Your obsession over downing Jeter is starting to reach Cujo-hates-the-d*mn-Sharks-and-everyone-has-to-know-it level...to the point where I can't help but wonder if Jeter stole your girlfriend or something :P

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

I'm only messin' with you, just so you know I'm hardly ever serious when I throw jabs around :P it's just funny when Jeter gets brought up, you seem to get all flustered about his defense and all :P

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

I have the what if guys so far, Stachel may have been the best pitcher ever if he was given a fair chance, Mantle may have been the best ever if he never got hurt.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

A-Rod was a far better shortstop than Jeter, at offense and fielding.

I was seriously considering A-Rod with my second pick but I couldn't pass on the best catcher ever. Hopefully, I'll still be able to land a good shortstop. Bert Campaneris is still out there right?

BB52Big.jpg

Hey guys, I'm going to be out for the better part of the afternoon. If we manage to get to my pick before I get back, I should be back on between 5-6. Sorry for any delays I may cause.

Oh, and damn you anyway AnythingChicago. Maddux was at the top of my pitchers list. B)

BB52Big.jpg

Hey guys, I'm going to be out for the better part of the afternoon. If we manage to get to my pick before I get back, I should be back on between 5-6. Sorry for any delays I may cause.

Oh, and damn you anyway AnythingChicago. Maddux was at the top of my pitchers list. B)

Damn you, too. :P But there's plenty of good pitchers out there. I was even considering getting Maddux and another 300+ win pitcher who pitched for a very bad team in the 70s, yet still managed to get 25 or so wins (which was even half the team's wins one year).

25yzwqg.png

Damn you, too. :P But there's plenty of good pitchers out there. I was even considering getting Maddux and another 300+ win pitcher who pitched for a very bad team in the 70s, yet still managed to get 25 or so wins (which was even half the team's wins one year).

I would have no issue taking a third starter with my third pick depending on who goes before I pick. Out of my top ten available seven are pitchers but out of my top 30 the total drops to thirteen, so alot of big names coming up and then I have a bit of a dropoff.

Through 2 rounds... leaving my own draft out, to be as impartial as possible.

BEST VALUE (ROUND ONE): Babe Ruth, #3, Cleveland Indians

BEST VALUE (ROUND TWO): Honus Wagner, #21, Detroit Stars

WORST VALUE (ROUND ONE): Satchel Paige, #12, New York Mets - What the legends leave out would be the years at a time when his fastball was dead, and there was no negro league or barnstorming team that would even take him. He got by on junk for a while, but he was horrifically inconsistent and a HUGE stretch this early.

WORST VALUE (ROUND TWO): Pete Rose, #17, Modesto Nuts - A slap hitter, who didn't walk a lot (9.9% career BB%), didn't hit for a lot of power, and was just an absolute :censored:ing BUTCHER in the fields. He had a small peak and then just stayed playing for way too long to build his stats. A mid-round pick that got bumped up because of how many slap singles he hit.

Archived