BASEBALL ALL-TIME DRAFT: Discussion Thread (PLEASE LOCK)

Dexter Morgan

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

PLAYERS TAKEN

1. Round 1.
  2. Willie Mays
  3. Ty Cobb
  4. Babe Ruth
  5. Ted Williams
  6. Hank Aaron
  7. Barry Bonds
  8. Sandy Koufax
  9. Walter Johnson
  10. Lou Gehrig
  11. Stan Musial
  12. Roger Clemens
  13. Satchel Paige
  14. Josh Gibson
  15. Joe DiMaggio
  16. Jimmie Foxx
    Round 2.
  17. Christy Mathewson
  18. Pete Rose
  19. Ken Griffey, Jr.
  20. Mickey Mantle
  21. Sadaharu Oh
  22. Honus Wagner
  23. Johnny Bench
  24. Warren Spahn
  25. Reggie Jackson
  26. Rogers Hornsby
  27. Nolan Ryan
  28. Alex Rodriguez
  29. Cy Young
  30. Tris Speaker
  31. Greg Maddux

Round 3.
  32. Yogi Berra
  33. Randy Johnson
  34. Mark McGwire
  35. Grover Cleveland Alexander
  36. Roberto Clemente
  37. Tom Seaver
  38. Rickey Henderson
  39. Eddie Collins
  40. Frank Robinson
  41. Charlie Gehringer
  42. Ichiro Suzuki
  43. Bob Feller
  44. Lefty Grove

I'm working until 5 today, then I'll be out for a good portion of the night, so I PM'd a list to Dexter Morgan so I don't miss my picks.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

There's an outfielder still available that Ott'a be picked pretty dang soon. ;)

Cute. Did you lift your right foot before you took a swing at that?

And that's a line drive outta Polo, folks! :D

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

I picked Ichiro. I think he's the most underrated right-fielder of all time, and an excellent leadoff hitter to boot.

Underrated? You really think so? I'd put him in my top 5. I don't know much about his sabremetrics etc. but I do know that he's one of the best players I've ever seen. Period.

BB52Big.jpg

Guys, I'm heading off to church now, so I may or may not be gone until at least 4:00 PM, Mountain time. There's a chance I could be back earlier, but if it gets to my picks and I am taking a while, that's where I'll be. Thanks!

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

Guys, I'm heading off to church now, so I may or may not be gone until at least 4:00 PM, Mountain time. There's a chance I could be back earlier, but if it gets to my picks and I am taking a while, that's where I'll be. Thanks!

Should have sent your picks to someone.

"Underrated" in that he gets very little love from the media (probably because he doesn't wear pinstripes or a "B" on his cap).

From his "rookie" year to probably last season, Ichiro got all sorts of coverage. These days he's just a guy who hits .264 so he's not getting much attention. This is one time I'm glad ESPN is so fixated on the only two teams they're aware of. It's spared us the "what's wrong with Ichiro/should he retire/blah blah blah that Jeter had to endure.

I say some variation of this every season so I may as well say it again...

I always imagine Stuart Scott and some other SC host flipping through channels and landing on a game between, say, the Tigers and White Sox. At which point one says to the other "when did Detroit and Chicago get baseball teams?"

BB52Big.jpg

Feller and Grove off the board.

Damn you Dex. Lefty Grove was a pitcher I thought would slip through the cracks. I was all set to grab him with my next pick and mock everyone who passed on him. Frankly, I'm surprised he lasted this long. At the same time I'm not at all surprised that he lasted this long. Top value of the draft so far if you ask me. Helluva pick.

Trivia: Lefty Grove lived in the town I grew up in. He died when I was 14. In fact, the little league I played in was called "Lefty Grove Baseball." If I only knew then what I know now, I would have gotten about 500 autographs. He was right there for us to talk to. God we were idiots. To us back then, he was just some old guy who used to play. We thought Vida Blue was the greatest left hander ever.

Edit: Here is the league I played in as a kid. Lefty Grove Baseball

BB52Big.jpg

Damn you Dex. Lefty Grove was a pitcher I thought would slip through the cracks. I was all set to grab him with my next pick and mock everyone who passed on him. Frankly, I'm surprised he lasted this long. At the same time I'm not at all surprised that he lasted this long. Top value of the draft so far if you ask me. Helluva pick.

Trivia: Lefty Grove lived in the town I grew up in. He died when I was 14. In fact, the little league I played in was called "Lefty Grove Baseball." If I only knew then what I know now, I would have gotten about 500 autographs. He was right there for us to talk to. God we were idiots. To us back then, he was just some old guy who used to play. We thought Vida Blue was the greatest left hander ever.

I thought I was the only one who was watching him. I thought he would be there for my next pick too. I had to go with Charlie Gehringer though.

Detroit Falcons (NABL) | Detroit Gears (UFL)

Edit: Here is the league I played in as a kid. Lefty Grove Baseball

He was on my board as well, but that pick was Billy B's, he sent me a list of players, Lefty was the first one on the list.

Archived