Sponsor-less Soccer Jerseys

Axis_of_Weasel

as someone form the us, i find soccer kits abhorrent because of the ads that are plastered on the front. but every once in a while, I'll see something on ebay for what appears to be a soccer jersey w/o branding. i never see them in the official team site shops, and hardly ever in online stores.

are these legit? do teams allow kits to be sold that do not have the appropriate ads on them? where do people get them?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They could be old jerseys, it wasnt long ago that Barcelona didnt have anything across the front of their jersey, a few years ago they added UNICEF and starting this year they put Qatar Foundation on the front. Some countries dont allow alcoholic sponsors on childrens sized kits (like Celtic FC takes off Tennents for childs size kits), or you could be looking at a counterfeit jersey.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

Some are fakes, some are authentic. Generally speaking, fakes have the sponsor logos, or else that would be a dead giveaway that they were indeed fake.

Sometimes these are created before a sponsor deal is signed (as was the case with the Philadelphia Union).

Often, these are the result of varying laws between nations and international competition. I believe France has rules prohibiting alcohol sponsorships, so teams sponsored by brewers who venture over during Champions League play will have to wear a blank shirt. Similarly, Chelsea used to be sponsored by Emirates Air, and had to go blank during a match in Israel.

If it's for a National team rather than a Club team there wouldn't be a sponsors logo on it, it's against FIFA rules.

The Euro '12 Tournament is coming up next summer, next to the World Cup it's the biggest international football tournament.

(Spain, France, Italia below)

New-11-12-Spain-Team-soccer-jersey2.jpg

New-11-12-French-Team-soccer-jersey1.jpg

New-11-12-Italy-Team-soccer-jersey0.jpg

Ohhh .... I forgot about them, good catch .... that was a one-season thing tho' ... for the Saints to honoUr their 125th year anniversary.

They usually wear red & white vertical stripes with black shorts and a kit sponsor, last season they were a special-edition all-white with a red-sash ... all-black kit away w/ red socks and no shirt sponsor on either shirt. .... and they got promoted out of that horrible League 1. Now they can resume their heated rivalry with Pompey.

This upcoming season they go back to their striped look, and yellow shirt-blue shorts as their away kit, both kits with aap as their sponsor on the shirt.

Also when clubs who are sponsored by Alcohol companies play European ties in France they are not allowed to show the sponsor's logo.

I believe France also has restrictions about gambling site sponsorships. Milan had to drop the BWIN from their shirts when they played there in the UCL a few years back.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

If it's for a National team rather than a Club team there wouldn't be a sponsors logo on it, it's against FIFA rules.

The Euro '12 Tournament is coming up next summer, next to the World Cup it's the biggest international football tournament.

(Spain, France, Italia below)

New-11-12-Spain-Team-soccer-jersey2.jpg

New-11-12-French-Team-soccer-jersey1.jpg

New-11-12-Italy-Team-soccer-jersey0.jpg

The Italy's jersey is a fake. It will be presented next year. ;)

Against the rules to wear sponsors in a match. But that doesn't stop FAs from selling sponsorships on replicas:

00irelandhome.jpg

patriotssignature.png

^^^ Both clubs can wear those kits outside of France (and where gaming advertisement is allowed) only. If the game is not held in France, then the clubs are not held to abide by French law.

I'm sick of people making claims without verifying them.

75386874.jpg

This is a picture from L1 game that took place on 21st May 2011 on Stade Velodrome in Marseille. And Marseille is in France on all the maps I checked. So apparently they are allowed to advertise gambling websites on French territory.

P.S. I wanted to post the picture from yesterday's Champions Trophy game but it was played in Tangiers, Morocco. However, I bother to use google before posting some info.

^^^ Both clubs can wear those kits outside of France (and where gaming advertisement is allowed) only. If the game is not held in France, then the clubs are not held to abide by French law.

I'm sick of people making claims without verifying them.

75386874.jpg

This is a picture from L1 game that took place on 21st May 2011 on Stade Velodrome in Marseille. And Marseille is in France on all the maps I checked. So apparently they are allowed to advertise gambling websites on French territory.

P.S. I wanted to post the picture from yesterday's Champions Trophy game but it was played in Tangiers, Morocco. However, I bother to use google before posting some info.

Settle down, cowboy. There is actual visual proof that BWIN was banned from shirts in UCL games in France in 2009:

September 2009 - Real Madrid & AC Milan forced to wear sponsorless jerseys in France because of gambling website restrictions (they both wore BWIN that year)

The Swiss & Franch Do Not Like Gambling

But things did change for 2010:

August 2010 - France changes rules about shirt sponsorship with online gambling legalization

Franch Clubs Thrilled By New Rules Of Legalized Gambling

I was unaware the rule had changed, but gambling sites WERE banned from shirts in France prior to last year. And they are STILL banned or severly restricted in Russia, Ukraine, & Switzerland, and Poland was trying to get rid of it as well (hence, the need for blanks shirts continues).

WSJ - Poland Tackles Gambling's Sponsorship of Football

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

That's why I wrote not anymore.

And the ban on gambling is still effective in Poland. For this reason the last two champions, Wisła and Lech, had to cancel their sponsorship contracts. The second division also lost the official sponsor. Moreover, Juventus had blank shirts when they played against Lech in Poznań last winter.

as someone form the us, i find soccer kits abhorrent because of the ads that are plastered on the front.

What does being from the US have to do with caring about soccer kit sponsorship.... As someone from the US, I'm fine with soccer kits having ads on the front as long as I don't have to watch commercials during soccer matches.

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

as someone form the us, i find soccer kits abhorrent because of the ads that are plastered on the front.

What does being from the US have to do with caring about soccer kit sponsorship.... As someone from the US, I'm fine with soccer kits having ads on the front as long as I don't have to watch commercials during soccer matches.

I think that's supposed to imply that he's used to leagues that don't have jerseys with sponsors on them.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

Archived