Arizona State uniforms?

bucknut40

At least Sparky has personality. He's clever, interesting. This look is uninspired and bland. Although I like elements (the pirchfork helmet), the total effect is bland, uninspired and derivative of too many other schools.

I liked the pitchfork helmet....until I saw that it didn't wrap around.

I liked the pitchfork inspired stripes....until I realized they're way to close to USC's stripes.

I liked the number font....until someone pointed out that it's FSU's font.

All in all this uniform set is a case of "good idea, poor execution."

They should have stuck with Sparky. Is he "immature"? I don't think he is, actually. University-level athletics is one of the places where cartoony logos can work and not look contrived.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The pitchfork is a great secondary or tertiary logo, but terrible for a primary. Beyond terrible. Sparky was a wonderful logo. He added a dynamic to the "devil" nickname that wasn't just about evil or death.

As for the ASU on the sleeve... I refuse to believe that was actually put on the sleeve of the uniforms.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

I don't get all the love for Sparky. He's fine as a mascot on the sidelines, but I never understood why they thought putting a devil in footie pajamas on the side of their helmets was a good idea. First of all, full-body mascot logos never look good on helmets. Second of all, it isn't intimidating in the least. Third of all, it's just not that strong of a mark, whereas the pitchfork is a strong identity.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Not that strong a mark? It's instantly identifiable and unmistakable, whereas the pitchfork could fit any number of brands, from colleges to small nations to sports cars.

Exactly. What do I think of when I see Sparky? Arizona State. What do I think of when I see a pitchfork? Maserati, Barbados, Springville High School (thats probably only me of course :P), Neptune....THEN MAYBE Arizona State. Sparky is iconic, like the Notre Dame Fighting Irishman or the tiger on the LSU helmets. You see it and know instantly what school that is.

And anyone who says Sparky is "too cartoony" has forgotten the logos of the Fighting Irishman, Bucky the Badger, the NC State wolf, Goldy Gopher, the UNLV (and Ole Miss, come to think of it) Rebel...the list goes on. Why? Because that's college sports. Many teams have cartoonish logos, it's not like Sparky is the only one. If you're going to criticize Sparky for being "too cartoony", then you're going to have to go after a great deal of other schools, too.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

The difference between Sparky and those other mascots you listed is that Notre Dame, Wisconsin, NC State, Minnesota, etc. had the good sense to leave their full-body mascots off the helmet. Full-body mascot logos don't really work well on helmets, unless your mascot is a small animal (like TCU's horned frog). Otherwise, they're too small and look like blobs from a distance.

As for the strength of the mark, of course Sparky is stronger than the pitchfork at this very moment because Sparky was on the helmets for a long time, and it'll take time for the pitchfork to build up brand equity. However, stripping away sentimentality, I think the pitchfork looks better and, more importantly, works a lot better on a helmet.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Not that strong a mark? It's instantly identifiable and unmistakable, whereas the pitchfork could fit any number of brands, from colleges to small nations to sports cars.

Exactly. What do I think of when I see Sparky? Arizona State. What do I think of when I see a pitchfork? Maserati, Barbados, Springville High School (thats probably only me of course :P), Neptune....THEN MAYBE Arizona State. Sparky is iconic, like the Notre Dame Fighting Irishman or the tiger on the LSU helmets. You see it and know instantly what school that is.

And anyone who says Sparky is "too cartoony" has forgotten the logos of the Fighting Irishman, Bucky the Badger, the NC State wolf, Goldy Gopher, the UNLV (and Ole Miss, come to think of it) Rebel...the list goes on. Why? Because that's college sports. Many teams have cartoonish logos, it's not like Sparky is the only one. If you're going to criticize Sparky for being "too cartoony", then you're going to have to go after a great deal of other schools, too.

Just pointing out that none of those logos you mentioned are actually used on the team's uniforms. Sparky is at least still on the helmet (even if it's on the back.) I won't deny that Sparky is instantly identifiable with Arizona State, but I think the pitchfork works much better as a helmet logo. Cartoony logos are good for mascots and t-shirts, but I think they should usually be left off the actual athletic team's uniforms.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Okay, very valid points. To me, however, (and this is just my humble opinion here), whether or not the logo is featured on the helmet really doesn't matter. It's still the school's mark, it's still what you associate the school with. It's right there with thier helmet or whatever when you think of that school.

And this is also just me, but...

terrell-suggs.jpg

That helmet was a beauty (as well as the uniforms). Great colors, Sparky's "running motion" looked great on the helmet, and to me it was a modern classic. Again, just humble opinion here, you're all entitled to your own. Granted, I might've done something different with the stripes (some Titans-like stripes would've made it perfect, I think), but for the most part, I'd take this over the pitchfork any day.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

Does anyone know when (or if) ASU announces what combo they'll be wearing before each game? I'm interested to see what they'll be wearing when they come to Champaign next week.

I heard a rumor that we may go "stormtrooper" against Illinois, and monochrome maroon against USC.

Which would mean ASU would wear each of their 4 helmets in the first 4 weeks of the season... Kinda crazy to have a different helmet every week if you ask me

I don't mean to jump all over your post in any way, I apologize in advance...but I just don't understand why some people insist on calling it the "storm trooper" look. I understand the literal reason behind why they do it; I'm a Star Wars fan...I get it. Most of the time it has a negative connotation behind it and its usually used in the same context as the monochrome color look. I just don't see how you can equate the two. The all white look has been around since the beginning of pro football. When you think of football uniforms from the 50's & 60's, the all white look was a typical look and is almost emblematic of that era. The Colts or Jets in all white is much more timeless then the Rams or Bears in all Navy.

In my opinion the all white look is to football jerseys, what pin stripes are to baseball jerseys. sorry for the rant, but it just bugs the hell out of me.

Okay, very valid points. To me, however, (and this is just my humble opinion here), whether or not the logo is featured on the helmet really doesn't matter. It's still the school's mark, it's still what you associate the school with. It's right there with thier helmet or whatever when you think of that school.

terrell-suggs.jpg

That helmet was a beauty (as well as the uniforms). Great colors, Sparky's "running motion" looked great on the helmet, and to me it was a modern classic. Again, just humble opinion here, you're all entitled to your own. Granted, I might've done something different with the stripes (some Titans-like stripes would've made it perfect, I think), but for the most part, I'd take this over the pitchfork any day.

There was a time when ASU did have Titans and Ravens-like stripes on their helmet. It's was only on the road helmets for one season.

terrell-suggs.jpg

There was a time when ASU did have Titans and Ravens-like stripes on their helmet. It's was only on the road helmets for one season.

I'd love to see a photo because I don't remember that. I do remember when they had three stripes on their helmets, which I really liked.

EDIT: Oops...I meant FIVE stripes

Sparky is traditional, but not that good of a logo in reality. If you fix the devil so he doesn't look like a creepy guy in a red jumpsuit, it'd be fine. I like the pitchforks on the helmet (if it's stretched all the way around and refined a bit), but it can't be their primary. Best option would be a modernized and less weird Sparky as the primary and on the shoulders with a fixed pitchfork on the helmet.

I thought ASU had the best uniforms in college football prior to their re-brand. Now, I think the same. It was a lateral move, but in a good way. The blackout would have looked weird with Sparky on the helmet.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

I'm not sure I understand the thought behind "Sparky is too creepy", or something similar. I mean....he's a devil, wouldn't there be some creepiness involved? I mean, I'd get it if this were any other humanoid mascot, like a Patriot or Warrior or something. But, Sparky's a devil. I would think "creepiness" would need to be required for a devil logo, or at least a sense of sinistry.

EDIT: Just saw your post, BigMac. That's very interesting to know that they did have Titans-Ravens stripes at one point, when were they worn? I'd love to see 'em!

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

I'm not sure I understand the thought behind "Sparky is too creepy", or something similar. I mean....he's a devil, wouldn't there be some creepiness involved? I mean, I'd get it if this were any other humanoid mascot, like a Patriot or Warrior or something. But, Sparky's a devil. I would think "creepiness" would need to be required for a devil logo, or at least a sense of sinistry.

EDIT: Just saw your post, BigMac. That's very interesting to know that they did have Titans-Ravens stripes at one point, when were they worn? I'd love to see 'em!

I mean creepy as in weird, not creepy as in scary. Like I said, it looks like a man in a red jumpsuit, not a devil.

Wow...I've never seen that uniform before. The jersey reminds me of the Vikings a little bit. I love the helmet!

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

Archived