Rick Reilly's Jersey Rules

LetsGoOakland9

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I normally have a lot of respect for Rick this is one of two times I've thought he's a giant moron.

Leaving SI and this article, this makes him look like an uninformed ignorant prick.

Denver Nuggets Kansas City Chiefs Tampa Bay Rays 

Colorado Buffaloes Purdue Boilermakers Florida Gators

Jersey Rule No. 6: You may not wear a jersey of a player who has been gone from your team for more than a year, unless that player is in the Hall of Fame or will be soon. I saw a guy Monday night at the New York Giants game wearing an Amani Toomer jersey. I believe Toomer is managing a Round Table pizza in Parsippany now. Buy another damn jersey, cheapskate.

Jersey Rule No. 7: If you have a nose tackle body, you must wear a nose tackle's jersey. We do not need to see your 385 pounds busting out of a DeSean Jackson jersey. It's unseamly.

those make sense

RaysHat.giforegonsig.gifDevilRaysRetroHat2.gif

I'm gonna go ahead and break these down one by one:

1) I only agree with this to an extent. I wouldn't put an exact number on the ages when you probably shouldn't wear jerseys. But yeah kids, teens, and college wearing a jersey anytime is alright. Then there does reach a point when wear a jersey makes you look kind of goof if it's not at a game or a game-watching situation. I definitely wouldn't put a defining black line on it.

2) That I agree with. I mean sometimes in the summer, wearing it an NBA jersey as a tanktop is all right, but not as a full time thing. And any other jersey, yeah wear a shirt.

3) Uh, yeah no. If other people are wearing a jersey, so what? More than one person in a group can't be a sports fan? Whatever. The fedora thing makes sense, but I don't think the same applies to jerseys.

4) I think about 75% of the people that wear jerseys also wear hats. I don't know if he's referring to this as outside a game situation, and if it's then, then I know I try to not wear two sports items at the same time, except for like a styled shirt and a hat. But during a game? Yeah thousands of people do that.

5) This one I agree with. Wearing a jersey with your own name if it was someone already on the team, then yeah that's ok. Otherwise, yeah no. Stupid.

6) This I agree with to an extent. If the player was one of your favorite players, then yeah whatever that's you. If he was a great player, then yeah still that's fine. But if it was just some guy on the team that didn't do much of anything and you either didn't get it because you thought it was funny or you couldn't afford a new jersey, then either don't wear it or buy a new jersey. Like my example is that I got a Karl Malone jersey when he came to the Lakers because I loved Karl Malone, but when he left after that one year where they lost, yeah I felt weird wearing it out places. So I just didn't wear it until I could afford a new one.

7) I agree with this one. Fat guys in jerseys with small numbers or small guys look weird. I understand that some big guys can really only fit well in jerseys, but try and get a guy with a bigger name/number at least haha.

8) This I agree with too. The pink jerseys and jerseys of weird colors are jsut no good with me. They do make women's cuts of the normal jerseys now. Go do that if you're a girl. Fashion jerseys for the most part bug us all.

9) Agreed. I only did this one time for a Halloween party and another time as a joke.

10) This one is just stupid, and it kind of ties in to my explanation of the first one. When you get older, yeah there are some places that a jersey just doesn't belong, but you should know that at that point in your life.

The thing that drives me nuts about this particular article is his stupid waivers:

A - Yeah no, I've gotten some play in a jersey before. That's dumb.

B - Yeah no, some jerseys are pretty damn cool. I also wear a band's t-shirt to a band's concert. That one makes no sense to me. And derogatory t-shirts when creative or team specific are fine. But just a simple "Gayders" or "Fakers" no.

C - Uhhh, again no. I don't have any retort to this, except that that's stupid.

D - If you act like an :censored: at an away game in your jersey, then yeah you get what you have coming to you. But if you just wear your jersey or colors and just be a normal person and cheer your team, no. No nose busting necessary.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Rule 6 is pretty contradictory anyway. What are fans of teams like the 49ers, Redskins, Panthers, Browns, etc. supposed to do? Plan to buy a new jersey every year when they have a new QB starting every year?

Besides, there are plenty of Skins fans who still wear their 21 Sean Taylor jerseys. No shame in paying tribute to arguably the best safety in the NFL at the time of his tragic passing.

Rule 6 is pretty contradictory anyway. What are fans of teams like the 49ers, Redskins, Panthers, Browns, etc. supposed to do? Plan to buy a new jersey every year when they have a new QB starting every year?

Besides, there are plenty of Skins fans who still wear their 21 Sean Taylor jerseys. No shame in paying tribute to arguably the best safety in the NFL at the time of his tragic passing.

I think that's a different situation though.

If it's some middle of the road guy that just came and went, ten yeah I'd say shelve that jersey for a while. If he happened to be your favorite player for a specific reason or something, then I get it. But idk, If you're a team that has a revolving door or bad QBs, don't get their jersey, I guess.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

As a 49er fan, I wish at this point we had a new QB every year. 7 years of Alex Smith? How has it been that long already.

5994736127_c919880617.jpg

20899768053_5ff571c8fc.jpg21520909095_58cb3890d9.jpg

As a 49er fan, I wish at this point we had a new QB every year. 7 years of Alex Smith? How has it been that long already.

I suppose you'd rather go back to the days of Ken Dorsey, Tim Rattay, JT O'Sullivan, Cody Pickett, Chris Weinke, Shaun Hill or Trent Dilfer?

Dorsey at least had local angle but sucked. Rattay actually liked, he had his moments. JT at least he brought excitement a lot ended in failure though. Pickett and Weinke while sucked when they were on the field Alex wasnt and was sign of the end of another failed season. Hill I wish was still here. He wasn't spectacular but lead the team better than Alex. Trent is a Super Bowl winning QB! but all kidding aside glad he is gone. I would rather have seen Nate Davis get a shot and fail then Alex again. Nate while not a fast learner made things happen when on the field. How does a NFL QB only break 300 yards twice in 7 years? and when he did it wasn't more than 10 yards over that both times. Shoot Brady almost doubled it in one game.

With the topic on hand my reaction to them.

1.def disagree, one of the coolest things I have seen was being in INDY on game day and half of the people wearing Colts stuff around the city (mostly jerseys). Never see that dedication in the bay.

2.agree mostly if a guy, girls can pull it off.

3.def disagree, seeing a stadium all joining together to support a team with jerseys on looks awesome.

4.def disagree, especially since he doesn't say a specific sport, how can this be bad for baseball or even football sitting out in the sun.

5.agree, always thought was kinda corny

6.disagree, with the economy the way it is rock what you have and just show team support.

7.disagree, solo numbers don't look good but um how many nose tackle jerseys are even sold?

8.agree on guys, disagree on girls.

9.agree but um, when have you ever seen anyone do this?

10.disagree, go back to my Indy comment even the people that couldn't make the game that day were out and about, it was just really cool to see the love for the team by a whole city.

a. disagree, sounds like someone is jealous of seeing hot girls at games with guys in jerseys.

b. disagree, um wouldn't you look stupid wearing a another bands shirt to a concert, like um do you even know who you paid to see tonight.

c. disagree, and seeing this comment from Dilfer is hilarious saying when he was on the 9ers he wore a retired number. Talk about wearing someone else's jersey.

d. disagree, you just should learn to be quiet and respectful while doing so at someone else's house.

and finally his last comment "Adam, I'm begging you and all jerseyites out there: Rent, lease or purchase a life." after writing this article I suggest he should be the one doing so.

5994736127_c919880617.jpg

20899768053_5ff571c8fc.jpg21520909095_58cb3890d9.jpg

Archived