The Best Sports Cities in America

http://aol.sportingnews.com/sport/story/2011-10-04/best-sports-cities-the-list-from-1-to-271

Not sure who the idiot was who compiled this list or if it was a group of idiots. It's not an overall look at history, but rather based on the 12 month span from summer 2010- summer 2011.

Here's my problem- they put Detroit behind Tampa and Miami.

When was the time any team in Miami not named the Heat made the playoffs?

Tampa has one of the best teams in baseball and has trouble filling 10,000 seats. The Bucaneers just snapped a 14 game black out streak.

Detroit has:

Tigers= winners in the standings and in attendance.

Red Wings= same

Lions= the past decade have been the worse franchise in sports history, but still sell out damn near every game.

Pistons= were a joke this past year and still filled 75% of seats

They base it upon win-loss records, attendance, post season appearances, etc. If this is really the case, Detroit should be above both Tampa and Miami, and even L.A., New York, Atlanta and Pittsburgh.

It's not just Detroit, there's several other flaws.

Just had to vent- thanks for listening.

sig.png

This list has to be a joke. Right? That is absolutely idiotic #271 Lorman, Miss really, what does Lorman have, a 2A H.S. Football team who went 1-11 and had an average attendance of 34!

Denver Nuggets Kansas City Chiefs Tampa Bay Rays 

Colorado Buffaloes Purdue Boilermakers Florida Gators

Get over it. It's just a list. Stop giving Detroiters a worse name than we already have.

You are not a Detroiter. You're not even a Romeo-ite. You are an Almontian. Almont didn't even make the list because this wasn't a list of the most inbred citizens. Go away.

So wait only people from Detroit can have a say in this? Yeah that's a good one

Get over it. It's just a list. Stop giving Detroiters a worse name than we already have.

You are not a Detroiter. You're not even a Romeo-ite. You are an Almontian. Almont didn't even make the list because this wasn't a list of the most inbred citizens. Go away.

So wait only people from Detroit can have a say in this? Yeah that's a good one

No, he's just not contributing to the thread, and neither are you, for that matter.

ESPN also just named Dallas-Fort Worth the best sports city over Chicago. It's ridiculous. One NBA title and a botched Super Bowl, and they are the best sports city in America. Ludicrous.

Rankings like this lose all credibility when you look at the top cities they list. What do they all have in common, winning teams! Of course they are going to have high attendance. I also find it hard to believe that they base it on attendance when you have a lot of cities up there, that in fact have no reason to be.

Atlanta? couldn't keep the Trashers why would they be up there

Miami? Marlins, Panthers, Dolphins even the all-mighty Heat don't draw well

Tampa? umm Rays and Bucs

Pittsburgh? see what happens when the steelers lose, Pens numbers are dropping and Pirates are terrible.

Detroit? Lions

Fact is everyone will feel that "their" city will be at the top. Like I would make the case for Cleveland, huge crowds for terrible teams like the Browns and Cavs would make the case for a good city? But sad numbers the past few years for the Tribe bring us down. Factor in the 455 and we're easily in the top 10. I say that, now I'll have people in numbers say "that's crazy, my city is way better than Cleveland" and its an endless argument that goes no where.

Yep, you got me... I'm an Almontian. It's the only place where my cousin and I can enjoy this one-bedroom apartment in peace. Go Raiders. :D

But no, I guess going to 20 Tigers games this past year, 6 Wings games, 2 Pistons games, and a Lions preseason game doesn't qualify me to be considered a Detroit sports fan (or a Detroiter) because I don't actually live inside the city... but I guess that should ring true for everyone in the Southeast Michigan area (except for the 800,000 people who still can't get out of Detroit).

All this coming from a "Detroiter" who isn't even a Wings fan, but a Canadians fan... <_< What, next are you going to tell me I can't be a UM fan because I didn't go to Michigan?

facepalm.jpg

This is an annual feature run by the Sporting News. It basically takes the cities that have Big 4 (plus MLS, not sure) or NCAA Division I school and ranks them based on the performance of their teams in the aforementioned pro sports and NCAA revenue sports IN THE LAST YEAR BECAUSE IT IS AN ANNUAL FEATURE.

So yes, towns with winning teams go to the top. Because winning is the largest criteria.

*motions to change "It's a Cleveland thing" to "It's a Lake Erie thing".*

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

This list has to be a joke. Right? That is absolutely idiotic #271 Lorman, Miss really, what does Lorman have, a 2A H.S. Football team who went 1-11 and had an average attendance of 34!

Alcorn State.

Baka.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Hell, can't anyone be glad they're at least on the list?

I couldn't tell you how stoked I was to see Salt Lake City/Provo at #28. For an area with teams in only two of the five major professional sports and that is mostly collegiate, that's a great ranking. I'm glad they saw how passionate the area truly is about sports.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

I would think Detroit would be higher if Ann Arbor is figured into the mix. Ann Arbor just seems to be a great sports town.

Except Michigan football and basketball were mediocre second-division teams last season.

Today, we are all otaku.

"Best Sports Cities" doesn't mean "Most Successful Sports Teams Cities" does it?

For the purposes of this ANNUAL exercise, yes it does.

Today, we are all otaku.

Ypsilanti, Michigan... yeah this list fails.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

Archived