Tradition schmradition

winghaz

I'm a traidtionalist when it comes to uniforms. I don't mind change, but I usually don't like change in traditional-looking uniforms.

But I also recognize there are some serious flaws in many traditional uniforms. There are things I don't like, and I'm sure there are things you don't like in some traditional uniforms. So I'll start out with a few of my pet peeves:

Pittsburgh Steelers logo on one side of the helmet

Ughhh. The Steelers should have changed that notion the second year of having a logo on the helmet. But since they have won gazillions of Super Bowls with that look, they likely never will change. It still looks like they were too cheap to buy two logos for the helmet.

Penn State's logo-less helmet

Yeah, we've talked about this ad nausium and came up with all sorts of new looks for Penn State. And, despite tradition, this look is still bad. Simply putting the Nittany Lion logo on the helmet would definitely look better.

Alabama's helmets with numbers

Just because these were the uniforms of Bear Bryant doesn't make them look good. Put those numbers on the shoulders and put that script Bama A on the helmets.

Cleveland Browns' logo-less helmet

See Penn State. Heck, I'd almost rather see Chief Wahoo on the helmets. Almost. Put something there, please.

Minnesota Twins' TC

What the heck? A Twins fan not loving the TC? Well, I do love the tradition of it, but it's really not a good logo, especially considering the Twins are much more than the Twin Cities. Sure, I'm not going to advocate a UM for Upper Midwst, but I always thought the Twins could have done better. The Kirby Puckett era M isn't bad, but I'd rather see something else.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ohio State has a logoless helmet too--but you ain't say nothin' bout them. :P

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

As semi-nonconformist I like the fact that some teams dare to be different. I mean, it got you to talking about them didn't it?

That being said, I think mostly-white baseball hats are an abomination. Not really a popular tradition, and I'm glad it remains that way.

As semi-nonconformist I like the fact that some teams dare to be different. I mean, it got you to talking about them didn't it?

That being said, I think mostly-white baseball hats are an abomination. Not really a popular tradition, and I'm glad it remains that way.

I 90% totally agree with you. There's one team I believe can pull off the white hat look(White Sox).

2ns84yg.png

10n7yog.png

25krb0y.png

Some teams need to stick to logo-less main helmets. PSU, OSU, Notre Dame, Cleveland etc. I wouldn't mind seeing numbers on some, but adding logos would not go over well. I think of "classic" teams Notre Dame I will let slide since they did technically wear the shamrock before and it's not a full time look. Now saying that I'm all for plain helmets, just has to fit the team. Hypothetically if a team with a history of having a logo on the helmet, all of a sudden takes it off it would be strange. Some teams do deserve to keep the look, but others would look just strange if they decided to for no reason...

I hate the NBA's "home whites" jersey policy. I don't know the genesis of that policy, but growing up I always thought it was weird that the home team was wearing, in my mind anyway, the color of surrender, while the away team got to wear their colors. Strangely, I'm okay with home whites in MLB though. I guess it's due to the fact that in my mind, the cap and socks add enough [concentrated] color to the look versus the relative sparsity of most NBA uniforms.

As for the logoless helmets in football, I remember thinking they were boring when I was much younger, but I grew to appreciate the uniqueness of the helmets that remained logo-less. Of course, if too many teams went logoless, I'd probably wouldn't like it as much.

Absolutely nothing is worse than the Steelers' one-sided helmet logo. It's not just ugly, it's dumb.

As for others, everyone seems to love the football uniforms of USC, but they annoy me because they have those modern-ish looking panels on the shoulders of their jerseys and then have racing stripes down the pants. Either do racing stripes or don't.

3853904_f62c982a1d.jpg

Also, LSU's helmets seem to be widely liked, but I don't. It looks like someone used electrical tape to form the letters and the tiger is completely indistinguishable from a few feet away...

lsufb_05helmets.jpg

I don't like the striping on the Steelers jerseys.

big-ben-roethlisberger-picture_495x431.jpg

nfl_runninqbs08_800-e1305153916372.jpg?w=250

t_22571_07.jpg

I think in keeping with a traditional jersey, they made it look silly and not really traditional. The sleeve stripes now look completely different from when they were historically.

Absolutely nothing is worse than the Steelers' one-sided helmet logo. It's not just ugly, it's dumb.

As for others, everyone seems to love the football uniforms of USC, but they annoy me because they have those modern-ish looking panels on the shoulders of their jerseys and then have racing stripes down the pants. Either do racing stripes or don't.

3853904_f62c982a1d.jpg

Also, LSU's helmets seem to be widely liked, but I don't. It looks like someone used electrical tape to form the letters and the tiger is completely indistinguishable from a few feet away...

lsufb_05helmets.jpg

Those SC uniforms are modeled on their uniforms from the 60s and 70s. I wouldn't consider those inserts "modern."

While I hope they never change, the Blackhawks annoy me a little because the stripes on the red and white jerseys are completely different designs.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I just don't like the number font the hawks use. the 1's are so bad. I also hate the current flyers jersey's now, it's a complete overload of orange. Throw in a black stroke on widened sleeve stripes and the waist stripes and we're good.

sport-scarf_celtic-2_zps105bfcbf.png

I'm a traidtionalist when it comes to uniforms. I don't mind change, but I usually don't like change in traditional-looking uniforms.

But I also recognize there are some serious flaws in many traditional uniforms. There are things I don't like, and I'm sure there are things you don't like in some traditional uniforms. So I'll start out with a few of my pet peeves:

Pittsburgh Steelers logo on one side of the helmet

Ughhh. The Steelers should have changed that notion the second year of having a logo on the helmet. But since they have won gazillions of Super Bowls with that look, they likely never will change. It still looks like they were too cheap to buy two logos for the helmet.

Alabama's helmets with numbers

Just because these were the uniforms of Bear Bryant doesn't make them look good. Put those numbers on the shoulders and put that script Bama A on the helmets.

Minnesota Twins' TC

What the heck? A Twins fan not loving the TC? Well, I do love the tradition of it, but it's really not a good logo, especially considering the Twins are much more than the Twin Cities. Sure, I'm not going to advocate a UM for Upper Midwst, but I always thought the Twins could have done better. The Kirby Puckett era M isn't bad, but I'd rather see something else.

I am totally with you on Alabama. I hate numbers on the side of the hemet. I am OK with blank helmets and would also be OK with the "A", but not numbers. Agree on the Steelers as well.

I am kinda with you on the Twins...I prefer "TC", but think the two-colored look needs tweaking. Make the letters red with white outlining. Sure, it'd look like the Cards' road hat, but that's fine by me. The red "C" is tough to see on the blue background now.

Others:

--Michigan's winged helmet. Always hated it.

--Any helmets with logos and letters...no matter how long they've been around: TCU, LSU, etc.

--Indiana's striped warm-up pants.

--The horns on the vikings helmets.

--The "Greenbay" "G" on the Pack's helmets.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

The Yankees (and other teams) not having names on the back of jerseys. Like I'm supposed to know who #82 warming up in the Yankees' bullpen is. (I realize I'm probably in the minority on this.)

Don't we already have the Unpopular Opinion thread? :P

Anyway, I don't care if the blues and silvers have never matched. The Cowboys need to straighten that whole colour situation out. They have a great idea for a uniform in there, it's just ruined by the various shades of blue and silver.

Minnesota Twins' TC

What the heck? A Twins fan not loving the TC? Well, I do love the tradition of it, but it's really not a good logo, especially considering the Twins are much more than the Twin Cities.

This isn't an argument. Everyone is much more than everywhere.

I do think they could draw up a slightly better TC, one that's all white and outlined in red.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived